Discuss Scalding/dangerous hot water from immersion heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ivrytwr3

We moved into our new home yesterday (1999 build) and found there was no hot water. In the end we contacted the previous owners who informed us the heating is ran by the boiler (working fine) and the hot water is ran by the immersion heater which they left swotched constantly on.

We turned on the immersion heater (top part, as there is a top switch and bottom switch). A short time later we had hot water - yey!

However, at 2am, there was loud bubbling noises coming from the tank and the loft. I immediately turned off the immersion heater and found:

1. Pipe coming from top of immersion too hot to touch.

2. In loft the tank was bubbling like a boiling kettle and steam was coming from it.

3. When i turned on the hot water, it was scalding hot - no kidding, i couldn't touch it (you could have made a cup of tea with the water!)

I drained off some of the water through the taps and fortunatley we are all still alive this morning. I cannot find a thermostat anywhere, so can anyone advise what has happened? Do we need to get an engineer out?

(sorry for questions, but previous owner has not left any instruction manuals for system!)

Here are some pics of the system:

there is a thermostat inside the cylinder that has packed up ,they cost about £20 max to buy a new immersion that comes with the resettable stat

as above, but please please dont switch it back on. i have seen tanks melted and boiling water flowing through the ceiling all over somebodys bed, thank god they were not in it at the time.

well i think these was a case a year ago ,best not go down that road, ideally you could get a good sparky to replace the stat and it has to be resettable as this is the law now ,for the exact reason that could have happened,screwfix will do them I think good luck

yes a young child died trough a thermostat failing it caused a round plastic tank to fail thats why new stats now have thermal cut outs i am curious though you must have a way to have hot water of the boiler perhaps its gravity is there a time clock in the house

yes a young child died trough a thermostat failing it caused a round plastic tank to fail thats why new stats now have thermal cut outs i am curious though you must have a way to have hot water of the boiler perhaps its gravity is there a time clock in the house

Without the immersion switches on there is no hot water at all.

A time clock? In the airing cupboard is the timer, but this only appears to control the heating.

Looks like it's a heating only boiler gas man. Does not appear to be any flow/return in the cylinder pick above.

yes i spotted that maybe they are on economy 7 or some cheap tariff ,I would change it over myself but maybe there is a reason why who knows

change it over to what? EON are coming out to change the meter soon.

(when i calle dthem i had to give 5 electric readings! they said a new meter will allow me to remain on my fixed tarrif and only have a day and night reading).

hee hee, mate that means nothing to me! How much? who should do it? Why should i do it?

Next instalment......

at 2am, i switched off the top switch due to the problem. This morning we had no hot water. I then stitched on the bottom switch and a few hours later we have correct temperature hot water.

Should i leave the bottom one switched on and just use the top for quick bursts? Or do you think there is still a problem with the temperature control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Scalding/dangerous hot water from immersion heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock