Discuss Potterton Promax Combi HE Plus, E133 Fault in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chrisg10

As above, my boiler keeps producing this fault every now and then. Any one got any fixes for it?

E133 - The dreaded fan fault! ... Intermitent could be gas pressure, ignition or flame detection, condensate blocked .... etc.

All gas related bar the condensate ChrisG10. Check its route is clear I'd say otherwise get a GS engineer in!

E133 is flame fail , try a gas safe registered engineer , a proper service might sort it (not just a FGA)

E133 - The dreaded fan fault! ... Intermitent could be gas pressure, ignition or flame detection, condensate blocked .... etc.

All gas related bar the condensate ChrisG10. Check its route is clear I'd say otherwise get a GS engineer in!
its e160 i got hat wrong in the other thread doh:oops:

?????

E133, If your boiler is over 2 years old, Chances are it will require a new upgraded part (720222***) to be fitted. A GSE should be sought (Easy Fix)

E133, If your boiler is over 2 years old, Chances are it will require a new upgraded part (720222***) to be fitted. A GSE should be sought (Easy Fix)

What part is this please?? It's 2 years old this month

It sounds like the rectification probes. There was a change of design as the old ones were bending in the heat and causing this fault code. The new ones are here
[DLMURL="http://www.gas-spares.co.uk/Catalogue/BAXI-SPARES/BOILERS-Combi/PLATINUM-Combi-Range/PLATINUM-combi-40-HE/ELECTRODE-Without-lead"]ELECTRODE Without lead - Gas Appliance Spares (Preston) Ltd[/DLMURL]
Anyway, it needs a GSR engineer.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are Baxi/Potterton's repair engineers ... They should know their stuff!!

Go on Baxi Website , find an installer . Cheaper than Heatteam
That part is the spark electrode. I would have it serviced , tell the engineer you have a problem before he comes . You may not need any parts !

Last edited:
You were right lads, it was the spark electrode. What a nightmare wish I had just ordered one off the net and fitted it myself! took him 2 minutes to do.

No but there coming back to service it, they said they do all there servicing around august/september

hi there

could i ask did you manage to resolve the e160 fault on the Potterton Promax HE Store and if so what was the problem please? I have developed this problem on my boiler.

thanks

nick

its e160 i got hat wrong in the other thread doh:oops:

chris

did your boiler have the e160 fault or somehing different please?

nick

chris

did your boiler have the e160 fault or somehing different please?

nick
dont think the store is the same as a normal promax combi e160 on the promax/heatmax/duotec/platinum/gold combis is fan failure and it wont be intermittent like your fault it will be fully dead

E133 Fault as in the title thread, sorry I dont know anything about E160 fault

Guys got this problem E133 on a job at the moment.
Originally called out a few weeks ago with this fault, changed electrodes and all seemed ok but could hear gas pulsing a bit although all settings checked out with analyser.
Just been out today but no ignition. I can see a spark although difficult to see but no ignition. Am I looking at gas valve??
Any help please.
Cheers
JJ

JJ, Can you please increase your post count to 10, then pm your GSR details to Redsaw or Gas Man who will then give you a pretty yellow badge and grant you access to the secret chamber! We don't want have a go heroes to read this then use the advice given to kill themselves, you know?

Cheers mate

This is an old thread and was not subject to GSR advice. Gas safety advice and information has been updated, and I've left it open as it may be useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so E133 can be caused by several things. If the ignition electrodes are ok/have been changed and there is a decent spark coming off them, check the inlet working pressure as anything less than 17mbar WILL give issues. The gas valve adjustment. If it's over gassed or under it'll not fire sometimes. The flue exhaust can also crack, but will cause issues like loud booming noises and not enough hot water. Condense pipe blocked also.

Ok now I'm allowed in here I'll start again.
Heatmax combi no ignition. Replaced ignition probes few weeks ago and was working until today.
Flue clear no obstructions. Condensate clear. Difficult to see inside but can see it sparking.
Gas inlet pressure 20mb but I still have no ignition.
Any help please.

Could be the spark gen then, they have been known to fail. If you're sure everything else is ok, I would change that. I don't think they're that expensive tbh.

If I'm getting a spark within the boiler wouldn't that mean it's ok or do they need to give a certain current to ignite.
Everything else seems to run fine but no gas for ignition.

If I'm getting a spark within the boiler wouldn't that mean it's ok or do they need to give a certain current to ignite.
Everything else seems to run fine but no gas for ignition.
Can you feel if the spark jumps?
Sorry for that. Rarely it is spark problems but rather adjustment issues. I prefer digital gauges for setting up the minimum and maximum pressure.
Do not go to low for the minimum.

Yes and no. Have you checked the simple things? Is the gas valve opening? What is the resistance on the gas valve between the coils? Has the throttle adjustment been screwed right down? You can reset it by calling technical.

Assuming that the spark is ok and fan is running am I correct that the gas valve isn't letting through to the burner.
Checked the injector is clear and chamber to the burner.
I thought the fan pulled gas from the valve and into the chamber to mix and then to burner.
Fan seems to run well so thought gas valve.

yes, put your mano on outlet test point if you get negative reading gas valve is opening

The fan opens the gas valve more as the fan speed increases, but you'll still notice a drop on the inlet pressure as it opens the solenoids. Make sure the tube connecting the gas valve breather is not split, twisted, kinked or not fitted.

Unscrew the solenoids from the valve. When sparking occurs they should grip a metal screwdriver, do the negative pressure test on the burner pressure test point, if theses both check out you can rule out the valve

Guys I went back to the job today as the gas valve had arrived.
Fitted it and away she went. When trying the old one I had a drop in pressure as if it was trying to let gas through but obviously not enough for ignition.
Once I'd set the boiler up with my analyser it worked a treat.
I know the common problem is usually ignition probes, condensate blocked etc. but just to let others know it can also be a gas valve.
Thanks for all of your input it's good to bounce a few ideas around.

Cheers
JJ

Thanks for getting back to us with the solution. Its always handy to share experiences with problem boilers.

Did you try adjusting the old gas valve? If someone had been out before you and cranked the throttle down, or even up too much, that may have caused the problem.

Did you try adjusting the old gas valve? If someone had been out before you and cranked the throttle down, or even up too much, that may have caused the problem.

Yes I tried it in various positions but it just wouldn't work.
When the new valve was fitted it fired instantly and then I just needed to set it up to the correct level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton Promax Combi HE Plus, E133 Fault in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hello Wondering if anyone can offer any clues please // Potterton Promax 18 // Had an E1 error code, repressurised via with filling loop //...
Replies
Views
R
Hi, The outlet of all my radiators are at 55°C, but the boiler keep showing the Return Temperature is 60°C (and keep raising at 1°C/min rate)...
Replies
Views
Renato
R
Hiya fellow gas engineer. Need some help on this boiler fault. Went out to this E133 Error on a Potterton Titanium 24 (GC: 47-393-39) I checked...
Replies
Views
What is the boiler flow temperature required to flag this 2965 fault code?. This, I believe, is a blocking code that trips the burner but...
Replies
Views
Back