Discuss Over 3 mins to get hot water in kitchen - is this normal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Shaun - test done at 3:40pm. Time taken to get hot water is 2mins 40 seconds. 10.8 litres.
Does the time of day make a difference? Also, I had to stop and start as I only have one empty 2L plastic bottle, i.e. once the bottle was full I turned off the tap, emptied the bottle and refilled. Do not know if this affects the results in anyway.

Hi Gastec - sorry I don't know and I wouldn't be sure of which pipe to measure.

The house is 11 years old. Your question has made me think whether the location of the water mains could be causing the time lag. I think my mains water pipe is at the front of the house. The Utility room where the boiler and cylinder is located is at the back of the house.

Hi Shaun - test done at 3:40pm. Time taken to get hot water is 2mins 40 seconds. 10.8 litres.
Does the time of day make a difference? Also, I had to stop and start as I only have one empty 2L plastic bottle, i.e. once the bottle was full I turned off the tap, emptied the bottle and refilled. Do not know if this affects the results in anyway.
those results sound ridiculous that's under 5 L a minute. My naff gravity hot water at home will do 10 L a minute easily. It sounds to me like you have a bigger problem there Also stopping in between each 2 L is going to make a mess of the results. maybe get a couple of 5 L buckets from the hardware store

Hi Gastec - sorry I don't know and I wouldn't be sure of which pipe to measure.

The house is 11 years old. Your question has made me think whether the location of the water mains could be causing the time lag. I think my mains water pipe is at the front of the house. The Utility room where the boiler and cylinder is located is at the back of the house.

Why do you think it's causing an issue ?? Were you given the option to upgrade your mains if necessary The correct operation of an unvented cylinder is very dependent on the flow and pressure of water. Do you know where your stopcock is if so take a photo of it to include the pipe entering and exiting it

Last edited:
if my math is right a bristan kitchen/ any tap has a flow rate of about 10-15 lpm (estimated)

so take it at 10 and you dont have hot water for about 3 mins

thats 30L does that sound about right (ballpark)

Just rereading this comment. Wow, 30L, that is a lot. I thought filling over five 2L bottles before I got hot water was bad but okay my situation is not as bad as this. When I wash up I don't turn on the tap at full blast otherwise the water would spray everywhere. Generally I turn on the tap, wait for the water to become hot and when it is hot I increase the flow. In the test I had it a bit higher than medium flow.

those results sound ridiculous that's under 5 L a minute. My naff gravity hot water at home will do 10 L a minute easily. It sounds to me like you have a bigger problem there Also stopping in between each 2 L is going to make a mess of the results. maybe get a couple of 5 L buckets from the hardware store

Won't harm that much tbh will give you a rough Idea
And agree somewhere there is a problem, maybe a half closed valve or rubbish in a strainer etc

Would need a G3 eng to check those tbh

Hi Riley - I see, shall I redo the test but turn on the water at full blast? I need to get the bucket first.

I think the simple answer here is LCV needs to get another engineer in to take a look there is a number of things here that don't add up and over the Internet it's Nigh on impossible for us to work out with a massive degree of accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Over 3 mins to get hot water in kitchen - is this normal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine...
Replies
Views
Low hot water pressure Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone is able to shed some light on my situation before I have to call out the professionals...
Replies
Views
Back