Discuss Nightmare Job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I've been given a bit a nightmare job for tomorrow..

Some pipework underneath wooden flooring is leaking. The pipework has been exposed and leak sourced.

But the pipe needing repairing (15mm) is underneath other pipework (22mm).

Basically, my questions are these:

What is the best way of repairing a section of rigid pipework? There is no give whatsoever and it will be under flooring so will need soldering.

Basically i need to chop off some 22mm pipe to get to the 15mm and re-solder an elbow.

Try get a slip coupling in the mix, you get them in solder

Without seeing it, I would cut out say 300mm of the 22mm pipe, then the damaged section of the 15
Use two 15 slip couplers (or standard straights and use a round file to take out the indents or stops) fitting them fully onto the new piece of pipe, drop into place then slide back onto existing pipe
Then do the same with the 22

Or if its just small a nail hole, cut through the pipe where it is pierced and just use one coupler

Without seeing it, I would cut out say 300mm of the 22mm pipe, then the damaged section of the 15
Use two 15 slip couplers (or standard straights and use a round file to take out the indents or stops) fitting them fully onto the new piece of pipe, drop into place then slide back onto existing pipe
Then do the same with the 22

If I had 300mm to play with it wouldn't be a nightmare job lol
I'll have to take a pic tomorrow and post it.. I think I have about 150mm to play with, if that...

Or if its just small a nail hole, cut through the pipe where it is pierced and just use one coupler

Its leaking from an elbow joint.. But its in such a position I cant get at it with a torch

as above slip coupling but use a stnd coupling with the stop to mark when the coupling ends, you can make a stnd coupling work takes less than 5 mins with the good old file

Can you prefab a 90 bend with a bit of pipe in each side, then use the slip couplers
Or, can you get hold of a preformed 90 bend (the type that come with some boilers for the iso's) and do the same
Can't picture what you're doing, so may be talking rubbish

as above slip coupling but use a stnd coupling with the stop to mark when the coupling ends, you can make a stnd coupling work takes less than 5 mins with the good old file

Gonna file a few down now and see if I can sort it for tomorrow... Beats paying £2 a fitting

I honestly wouldn't be attempting a solder repair in that tight space mate :)

Gonna file a few down now and see if I can sort it for tomorrow... Beats paying £2 a fitting

takes a bit longer with compression couplings, so get the lathe out

Luckily, its a ground floor flat ;)

ftl2002c21.jpg

Yeah but the leak caused the wooden flooring to bow.. Its not the beneath I'm bothered about too much..

can you get your slice on the 15mm pipework and as-long as there no timber below eg encase your flame touches it you will be fine

can you get your slice on the 15mm pipework and as-long as there no timber below eg encase your flame touches it you will be fine

I can barely gat my finger around it so don't think a slice will go over it. I wish I took a photo before as it would be easier to come up with a plan... I'll just have to wing it.

Just made my first 2 slip couplings so fingers crossed it all goes to plan lol either that or I explain how the new water feature works to the tenant :)

I can barely gat my finger around it so don't think a slice will go over it. I wish I took a photo before as it would be easier to come up with a plan... I'll just have to wing it.

Just made my first 2 slip couplings so fingers crossed it all goes to plan lol either that or I explain how the new water feature works to the tenant :)

well you can try and sprinkle system to combat the gas rouges :D

Really? Even though its under the floor? You'd use compression?

There's plenty of compression joints below the floor, no reason a well done up one would leak... Probes better than a speedy under the floor!

Dig out better access.

Make sure tenant isnt there whilst doing it either, the air will be blue. Oh and dont forget the elecfrical tape to wrap round your knuckles when you skin them.

Dig out better access.

Make sure tenant isnt there whilst doing it either, the air will be blue. Oh and dont forget the elecfrical tape to wrap round your knuckles when you skin them.

Unfortunately the tenant is there and the hols is in the lounge where more than likely they'll sit and watch me sweat!!!

Unlucky.

Just steady and methodical. Its character building :)

Unlucky.

Just steady and methodical. Its character building :)

Someone told me that when I went to change steel pipe valves on 4 rads on a communal heating system... I looked at him like this:

9a6bf398fc405ad1e4799388c389a60a.jpg

The other one many moons ago was, its an adventure. Aye, righty o.

Its just one of those jobs. Dont forget to take some 3/4" fittings just incase the 22mm isnt.

Its just one of those jobs. Dont forget to take some 3/4" fittings just incase the 22mm isnt.

if i remember right 20mm alk olives work

Incase the 22mm isn't what Mr G??

Can you beg/borrow a Fein Multimaster or equivalent? If so cut the pipe with that then file it down before putting couplings on as required. Reaches into many places a pipe cutter can't.

Helped me connect onto pipes I wouldn't have been able to on the last job (without removing the toilet and flooring above anyway).

if all else fails use four elbows i did a leak in a ceiling o push fit that way recently only one joist width and the hep was un movable cut back to 2 inches either side elbow on each looking down and then joined from below

Can you beg/borrow a Fein Multimaster or equivalent? If so cut the pipe with that then file it down before putting couplings on as required. Reaches into many places a pipe cutter can't.

Helped me connect onto pipes I wouldn't have been able to on the last job (without removing the toilet and flooring above anyway).

What are those multi tools like, are they handy? Decent? Useful?

If the pipes are so solid they can't move, it'll keep cracking fittings due to expansion.

Cut of where accessible and run some poly all the way through and rejoin where accessible

So I managed to successfully repair the leaking joint by replacing the 22mm tee and 15mm branch.... But refilled the system and noticed another older 22mm elbow slightly leaking :((((

I think I may have sweated it when soldering the tee next to it.

In order for me to drain down I'm going to have to cut the pipe.

Question: as its leaking, is it safe to assume the elbow is now loose and would come off easily?

Also, the pipe in question is next to the return which is next to the dhw supply (all 22mm and about 5mm space between them). Is it ok to solder when the pipe I want to solder is so close against another pipe? (In terms of being able to solder properly I mean).

Last edited:
So I managed to successfully repair the leaking joint by replacing the 22mm tee and 15mm branch.... But refilled the system and noticed another older 22mm elbow slightly leaking :((((

I think I may have sweated it when soldering the tee next to it.

In order for me to drain down I'm going to have to cut the pipe.

Question: as its leaking, is it safe to assume the elbow is now loose and would come off easily?

Also, the pipe in question is next to the return which is next to the dhw supply (all 22mm and about 5mm space between them). Is it ok to solder when the pipe I want to solder is so close against another pipe? (In terms of being able to solder properly I mean).

Now this is a day In the life of a plumber. Any other job is boring! Constantly have to improvise we do. Well done feller for getting stuck in. Scary at first but when you have problems like this every day you realise it's part of the trade.

If it's weeping you won't be able to pull it loose. It will just be a wee bit that hasn't soldered. The others really should not sweat off as it still has water in the pipe. Unless the one that is leaking now is on the same pipe

Now this is a day In the life of a plumber. Any other job is boring! Constantly have to improvise we do. Well done feller for getting stuck in. Scary at first but when you have problems like this every day you realise it's part of the trade.

If it's weeping you won't be able to pull it loose. It will just be a wee bit that hasn't soldered. The others really should not sweat off as it still has water in the pipe. Unless the one that is leaking now is on the same pipe

Cheers Mutley, I did actually enjoy it even though it was frustrating as hell ;) I'm quite pleased that none of my joints leaked :)

The tee I replaced and the old elbow joint that is weeping is on the same pipe. Maybe about 1/2 inch apart..

Cheers Mutley, I did actually enjoy it even though it was frustrating as hell ;) I'm quite pleased that none of my joints leaked :)

The tee I replaced and the old elbow joint that is weeping is on the same pipe. Maybe about 1/2 inch apart..

yea its gone thats why you always clean both sets of joints if there that close you can always add a bit of solder to an old joint just incase

yea its gone thats why you always clean both sets of joints if there that close you can always add a bit of solder to an old joint just incase

Its too late to add solder now though, but I've learned which is a good thing.. I just need to figure out how I'm going to fix it :/

I'm thinking, cut the pipe and drain down. Sweat the elbow and replace with a new elbow and new section of pipe with a makeshift slip coupling... ???

Its too late to add solder now though, but I've learned which is a good thing.. I just need to figure out how I'm going to fix it :/

I'm thinking, cut the pipe and drain down. Sweat the elbow and replace with a new elbow and new section of pipe with a makeshift slip coupling... ???

did you get a pic? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Nightmare Job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have discovered a very old end feed 22mm t connector under the bath is very gently weeping water. It’s in a place and with pipework that are...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with...
Replies
Views
Hi I've had to cut hot and cold feed to re route for bathroom feeds. The 22mm Copper pipe hot feed is slightly smaller then my 22mm Copper...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am in the process of renovating a property and have the floorboards up installing cabling etc, however it is the plumbing that I have...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock