Search the forum,

Discuss Old pipework size in bathroom in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I've had to cut hot and cold feed to re route for bathroom feeds.

The 22mm Copper pipe hot feed is slightly smaller then my 22mm Copper.
Solder fittings just slip over it and are really loose so I gather this is old imperial pipe, so I shall use a 3/4 to 22mm coupler.

However on the 15mm cold feed, the old pipe Seems slightly BIGGER then new 15mm copper pipe, which is confusing me as if it was old imperial pipe I'd of thought it would of been smaller ( like the 22mm pipe is )

Compression fittings seem to fit okay, also push fit JG fitti gw do go on but take more of a shove, and I can get a solder fitting on but it does need a Tap with a hammer to go fully home.

Is there a special converter for this or will any normal method do the job ? I will attach an image but its hard to tell from a photo the difference.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230717_150148.jpg
    20230717_150148.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 9
The "Old 15mm" is 1/2" with an overall diameter just over 15mm, so it won't go straight into a 15mm capillary fitting.
It will go into a 15mm olive, especially with todays "somewhere around 15mm will do" standard of foreign manufactured fittings.
A rub over 1/2" with a file or abrasive paper will get it down enough to fit into a 15mm fitting.

1/2" copper was sized by bore, not overall diameter like 15mm

The "Old 15mm" is 1/2" with an overall diameter just over 15mm, so it won't go straight into a 15mm capillary fitting.
It will go into a 15mm olive, especially with todays "somewhere around 15mm will do" standard of foreign manufactured fittings.
A rub over 1/2" with a file or abrasive paper will get it down enough to fit into a 15mm fitting.

1/2" copper was sized by bore, not overall diameter like 15mm
Thank you ! How about a 15mm to 1/2 coupler as I plan to use on the 22mm

Or as both you guys stated I'll just use abrasive paper or wire wool and keep going until the standard 15mm fitting pushes on nicely

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230717_164532_Screwfix.jpg
    Screenshot_20230717_164532_Screwfix.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 10

Reply to Old pipework size in bathroom in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock