Discuss Nightmare Job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I've been given a bit a nightmare job for tomorrow..

Some pipework underneath wooden flooring is leaking. The pipework has been exposed and leak sourced.

But the pipe needing repairing (15mm) is underneath other pipework (22mm).

Basically, my questions are these:

What is the best way of repairing a section of rigid pipework? There is no give whatsoever and it will be under flooring so will need soldering.

Basically i need to chop off some 22mm pipe to get to the 15mm and re-solder an elbow.

The other one many moons ago was, its an adventure. Aye, righty o.

Its just one of those jobs. Dont forget to take some 3/4" fittings just incase the 22mm isnt.

if i remember right 20mm alk olives work

I can barely gat my finger around it so don't think a slice will go over it. I wish I took a photo before as it would be easier to come up with a plan... I'll just have to wing it.

Just made my first 2 slip couplings so fingers crossed it all goes to plan lol either that or I explain how the new water feature works to the tenant :)

Can you beg/borrow a Fein Multimaster or equivalent? If so cut the pipe with that then file it down before putting couplings on as required. Reaches into many places a pipe cutter can't.

Helped me connect onto pipes I wouldn't have been able to on the last job (without removing the toilet and flooring above anyway).

if all else fails use four elbows i did a leak in a ceiling o push fit that way recently only one joist width and the hep was un movable cut back to 2 inches either side elbow on each looking down and then joined from below

Can you beg/borrow a Fein Multimaster or equivalent? If so cut the pipe with that then file it down before putting couplings on as required. Reaches into many places a pipe cutter can't.

Helped me connect onto pipes I wouldn't have been able to on the last job (without removing the toilet and flooring above anyway).

What are those multi tools like, are they handy? Decent? Useful?

Cut of where accessible and run some poly all the way through and rejoin where accessible

So I managed to successfully repair the leaking joint by replacing the 22mm tee and 15mm branch.... But refilled the system and noticed another older 22mm elbow slightly leaking :((((

I think I may have sweated it when soldering the tee next to it.

In order for me to drain down I'm going to have to cut the pipe.

Question: as its leaking, is it safe to assume the elbow is now loose and would come off easily?

Also, the pipe in question is next to the return which is next to the dhw supply (all 22mm and about 5mm space between them). Is it ok to solder when the pipe I want to solder is so close against another pipe? (In terms of being able to solder properly I mean).

Last edited:
So I managed to successfully repair the leaking joint by replacing the 22mm tee and 15mm branch.... But refilled the system and noticed another older 22mm elbow slightly leaking :((((

I think I may have sweated it when soldering the tee next to it.

In order for me to drain down I'm going to have to cut the pipe.

Question: as its leaking, is it safe to assume the elbow is now loose and would come off easily?

Also, the pipe in question is next to the return which is next to the dhw supply (all 22mm and about 5mm space between them). Is it ok to solder when the pipe I want to solder is so close against another pipe? (In terms of being able to solder properly I mean).

Now this is a day In the life of a plumber. Any other job is boring! Constantly have to improvise we do. Well done feller for getting stuck in. Scary at first but when you have problems like this every day you realise it's part of the trade.

If it's weeping you won't be able to pull it loose. It will just be a wee bit that hasn't soldered. The others really should not sweat off as it still has water in the pipe. Unless the one that is leaking now is on the same pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Nightmare Job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock