Search the forum,

Discuss Installing new central heating pipework, 10 rad system. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all, thought it was always good to compare prices. Just quoted for a bungalow, including laying new loft insulation to 300mm depth. 10 rad system, all run in good old fashioned copper on drop downs to the radiator (surface run). Including the VAT I am coming in at £5,100. Seems expensive so I thought I would ask roughly what you guys would charge for this. PS This is not including supply and fit of the boiler, they have an LPG boiler installer coming in to do the final connections to my pipework.

Oh and it's based on 8 days of labour for me and my apprentice.

Yah, don't forget I have to charge the dreaded VAT and £560 of that is supply and fit of new loft insulation to 300mm and removal of the old one.

I'm bound to get my arse kicked now but it seems abit steep if they still have to buy a boiler and pay for the boiler to be fitted.

Seems a bit steep for north east but suppose"London money"?? 10 rads £1000, three bundles & fittings £200 trv and fitting £500 if in walls £700 wool £300 labour 2500?

Yah, I felt that way too. It's based on a 30% markup which I always charge on everything I'm supplying and 8 days labour to install plus another day for the loft insulation.

Not sure what I can really do about it though really, just wondered what sort of prices everyone else charges for this work.

It is quite a large bungalow though to be fair, out in the country - there is a lot more copper pipe going in than the average town bungalow.

I also think that the busier I get the greedier I get - probably not a good quality.

Are you VAT registered matey?

I wouldnt say thats overly expensive if you have to charge vat on your labour

problem being you will get some council bash muppett turn up and slam it in for half that

I will say 2.5k to fit a new system is a good money but 8 days to put a full ch seems too long , then i have not seen the job but is only 10 rads and as you say is all on a drop ...... so the most you looking at : 2 days to run all pipe work , 1 day boiler , 1 day to install rads and flush +1 day to make good and commission .
dont forget to install some air vents in the loft but not the auto ones :)

I will say 2.5k to fit a new system is a good money but 8 days to put a full ch seems too long , then i have not seen the job but is only 10 rads and as you say is all on a drop ...... so the most you looking at : 2 days to run all pipe work , 1 day boiler , 1 day to install rads and flush +1 day to make good and commission .

Yeah, I'm definitely not the fastest plumber at all. I like to take my time to be honest. Do you guys put air vents in on a pressurised system? This is a combi boiler going in and I've never found a problem running them without air vents in the loft.

OMG just re-read your post, 2 days!! If your pipes are all straight want to subby for me?? I will just kick back and let you get on and charge 5 or 6 days worth of labour. Am I the slowest plumber in the world??

nothing wrong with taking your time and if your charging over 5 k then would a cust really want someone in and out job done in couple days .
doesnt always pay to motor through it as when you take your time cust feels like they get their money worth

Yeah, I'm definitely not the fastest plumber at all. I like to take my time to be honest. Do you guys put air vents in on a pressurised system? This is a combi boiler going in and I've never found a problem running them without air vents in the loft.

you must fit them in the loft for when you commission your system , watch pipework in loft not to create your self a air locks ,also pipe sizing too very inprortand as you will have 10 drops , and you only going to have a 15/60

Yes, slow down SGI and fill your diary for longer I say!!

8 days for a man and boy seems a bit of a stretch having not seen the job it's hard to say though personally I'd be around 3.6 with materials for
just me like I say off the top of my head without seeing it. Plus I'm guessing there is an existing system in so you will be getting the scrap from it.

OMG just re-read your post, 2 days!! If your pipes are all straight want to subby for me?? I will just kick back and let you get on and charge 5 or 6 days worth of labour. Am I the slowest plumber in the world??

you must be mate ...... last year working for HA I have fitted between 5 to 6 boilers per week , and none of my work was fitted from the drive way :) if you know what i mean all pipe straight and all soldered joint cleaned

you must fit them in the loft for when you commission your system , watch pipework in loft not to create your self a air locks ,also pipe sizing too very important as you will have 10 drops , and you only going to have a 15/60

Weird. I will chuck them in. Genuinly never had a problem with airlocks even on loft pipework when commissioning any high pressure heating system. The air is all pushed into the rads on filling up. Maybe I have just been lucky though, I can see one day me coming stuck not fitting them so I will take your advice for sure.

8 days for a man and boy seems a bit of a stretch having not seen the job it's hard to say though personally I'd be around 3.6 with materials for
just me like I say off the top of my head without seeing it. Plus I'm guessing there is an existing system in so you will be getting the scrap from it.

Nah, they are scrapping everything.

I will come and work for you pal no problem , £200 cash +b&b

Yah, it most likely is a bit of a stretch at 8 days if I'm being honest. It's a fixed price for the labour though. Do you guys factor in your time spent quoting and designing the system into your labour costs though?

yep its about a £500 labour change over here for back boiler here

why i dont bother with domestic now rates are pants

H/A only for domestics at least home by twelve or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Installing new central heating pipework, 10 rad system. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock