Search the forum,

Discuss Central Heating T up & downstairs, valve to restrict upstairs? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I have 3 port value for HW & CH.
Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs,
only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area

As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance.

Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are now cold, never really bothered as heat seemed to spread from rest of house & being kitchen just gets hot anyway.
use to work after loft extension, perhaps not great & never really noticed or cared when it stopped.

Fairly sure I have a blockage or restriction on return, had power flush, plumbers usually not bothered at trying to diagnose, just "try another power flush" which seems pointless to me.

Anyway, either to help blockage or just balance flow I thought about adding a ball valve, just after 3 port so I can turn off upstairs completely I thought to test initially, I figured even turning off the rads, TVR & lockshields, the water can flow around the pipes and taking path of least resistance not forced that hard round the ground floor so stop this.

If I turn off upstairs, run some more X800 round, I know this will be going downstairs, hopefully at higher pressure.

Had new pump etc.

If this works in heating downstairs, perhaps I can restrict/balance on this main valve.

Perhaps later put in a motorized valve but not too worried about try to 2 zone it at the moment, old kids now so should be moved out & only come back briefly so actually would be good to turn off anyway, rather than replying on the tvr's.

Would it work just to valve were it is shown?

I read about back feeding rad's & all sorts when talking 2 zone.

pdf is the same, was not sure what format would work

Thanks I/A

Attachments

• LayoutTap.jpg
    LayoutTap.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 8
  • LayoutTap.pdf
    20 KB · Views: 9

Reply to Central Heating T up & downstairs, valve to restrict upstairs? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock