Search the forum,

Discuss installing a back boiler oil link up in a bungalow, anyway around it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye i read the other thread. I thought it peculiar he (Nordio) would refer to that post when it was clear to a wean with a biscuit bum what peteheat was on about :frown:

Care to explain what he was on about then?

He wrote this...

On solid fuel stoves and wrap around back boilers we always fitted the pump on the return
Just like Mr Flux.

And then wrote
No blockage the system can still feed through the pump

Is it because he's from Ireland its ok. lol. Mr Flux is from Ireland too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah! the central heating return to the boiler. The primary gravity is not pumped which would have Feed and expansion.

Who was it who said a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Care to explain what he was on about then?

Just like Mr Flux.

You missed out this bit in your quote

in our old tin pot way we relied on gravity to heat the rads and cylinder upstairs and the pump was mainly for the ground floor circuit and to pump the heat around the system faster.

That said I doubt a pump is classed as a valve as the hot water can expand to safety through it.

He was not advocating what you are saying.

Why did you write in bs6700 questions "Blocking the feed route? That doesn't seem like convention with a solid fuel boiler." when you have been saying there is no need for a feed in this thread?

I was asking the question to peteheat. Ask him.

Nordio can you remember a couple of years back on another site where you were saying it was fine to cap a solid fuel bbu. I answered with reference to this or a similar site ( i will find the original if you like)
HSE Safety Alert: Explosion risk from redundant domestic back boilers
Your answer was it was fine to do this as you had did it on your own house and lived alone so would only kill yourself.
Obviously your vision has not become any clearer. Keep swinging your stillsons in someone else's direction.

Maybe not. bbu still capped btw and working fine.

Nordio can you remember a couple of years back on another site where you were saying it was fine to cap a solid fuel bbu. I answered with reference to this or a similar site ( i will find the original if you like)
Your answer was it was fine to do this as you had did it on your own house and lived alone so would only kill yourself.
Obviously your vision has not become any clearer. Keep swinging your stillsons in someone else's direction.

I also read somewhere tamz that this is the same on gas bbu's, do you know if there is a tech bulletin or safety notice like the one you have posted here too?

I have just been reading a thread on an other forum with a Tamz and Nordio discussing this very thing, Oh and everyboby thought Nordio was wrong on there as well

Gas bbu's are different. No one is going to light them if you cut the gas and power.

There was a TB about bbu's (gas) but it didn't mention drilling the exchanger. A bit like belt, braces, condom and get your mate to tell you what it was like :lol:

I have just been reading a thread on an other forum with a Tamz and Nordio discussing this very thing, Oh and everyboby thought Nordio was wrong on there as well

What have I been wrong about on here pray tell?

Before i saw the light :lol:

@ Nordio Have you said anything right?

From the link...
The risk can arise when a disused boiler has been left at the back of a fireplace and a coal or wood fire is lit in front of it. This can mean the boiler heats up causing the boiler casing to explode. If you have a redundant back boiler you should not light an open fire in front of it.

What a load of waffle. I'm living proof that this is not the case.

What have I been wrong about on here pray tell?

Not a lot but enough. You are advocating doing things that are not (yet) legal in the uk (regardless of what the MI's state). Many of these stoves and bbu's are fitted by diy persons who have no concept of the risks they face if they do it wrong. Things will no doubt change in the future and the proper controls will be widely available to buy.
Until then, in the UK we have to abide by the laws of the land.
I LOVE a T bone steak and when they banned them (mad cows) i couldn't buy one (legally) but i was well aware of the risks i ran.
DIYers are generally not too clued up so don't encourage them to jump in when they can't swim

From the link...

What a load of waffle. I'm living proof this this is not the case.

I'm not going to go over a 2 year old argument. If you want to take the risk that is up to you.
bang.JPG

Thats what Mr Flux's customers home will look like in a few weeks. lol :lol:

There was someone last week asking how to demolish their chimney breast.
Maybe they could learn something here. lol

Connect a solid fuel boiler up with a vent and no cold feed/expansion the water will simply boil off. I know that because I've done it.
After that its stress relief time for the welds.
Did you read what peteheat wrote on the bs6700 thread? That guy knows his stuff.

Yes peteheat does know his stuff
And he thinks you are as silly as we think too lol
Ps the silly word is a lot less than I want to say but I don't want banned but hopefully the way you post you will be soon
Pps mr flux lives in northern Ireland =uk

Nordio

I am not a Moderator but please post in a manner which is constructive because some your previous posts do read quite incorrect

:ban:NORDIO :ban:?????????????????????????????? I don't think his posts have helped this forum or anybody reading, now or in the future. IMHO

Lets ban gray. He hopes the op's system goes wrong and has posted nothing constructive and resorts to name calling. Not a very nice bloke I think. Just a sad troll.
The best post on the thread was from myself. Post 47!

No problem with post 47 but we are a friendly bunch here on this forum, just try and join in

Think you need to read what Nordio is advising people to do
It's getting silly

So as far as I can see it a stove with no themostat control

The stove as got thermostaic control, fired it up yesterday working like a dream! Have installed the cold feed and the vent to the return to the boiler with no valves inbetween the piping to the boiler, fitted the pump on the flow out of the boiler! ino its against regs but its my 1st stove and with laision with the customer he was happy to go ahead with it! From now on going to install a gravity circuit and wont be installing a stove into nothing but a 2 story with a upstair double coil hwc! Some people may argue its unsafe but dont see how it can be when you have a unobstructed from the cold feed and vent to the boiler???

Then in future take the advice given and don't do it the cowboy way
What you have done is dangerous if that vent ever freezes boom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to installing a back boiler oil link up in a bungalow, anyway around it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock