Search the forum,

Discuss installing a back boiler oil link up in a bungalow, anyway around it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll not lose any sleep over you that's for sure lol
You want to be a cowboy that's upto you

Water being heated from a fire must rise, as on a gravity circuit, or be pumped constantly, BUT, you can't rely on a pump & you really shouldn't have valves on gravity pipes in case they fail or some idiot closes one accidentally. Hence gravity is the only way. If fire is going full belt & the pump stops for any reason, the boiler will come under a lot pressure, & I wouldn't want to be in the house.
The stove manufacturer will not accept your install, I am sure.

cheers, whats wrong them both on the flow tho?

Why are you doing work that you obviously have no experience in. The key is safety first and it appears from your posts that it is not safe.
You'd have been better teaming up with somebody with good experience of safe installs, would have set you up a treat. Everybody's gotta learn somehow.

More important is, where is this stove installed? .... Just in case it is in a house next door to me! Lol! :grin:

That's what I was thinking too lol
Glad it's not near me
Mr flux I guess you plumb in the south as any decent plumber would not do that in the north

Why are you doing work that you obviously have no experience in. The key is safety first and it appears from your posts that it is not safe.
You'd have been better teaming up with somebody with good experience of safe installs, would have set you up a treat. Everybody's gotta learn somehow.

Connect a solid fuel boiler up with a vent and no cold feed/expansion the water will simply boil off. I know that because I've done it.
After that its stress relief time for the welds.
Did you read what peteheat wrote on the bs6700 thread? That guy knows his stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Connect a solid fuel boiler up with a vent and no cold feed/expansion the water will simply boil off. I know that because I've done it.
Did you read what peteheat wrote on the bs6700 thread? That guy knows his stuff.

bunch of grumpy owl men thats what i say! lol

Where is it going to boil off to if you seal it?
There are ways to do this properly as i'm sure you are aware but none are yet approved for use in the uk.
Do what ever you feel right for you but don't encourage others who know no better to indulge in your experiments.

If a stove with thermostat control you need an heat leak rad of at least 10% what size for a stove with no control at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is it going to boil off to if you seal it?

Through the vent.

There are ways to do this properly as i'm sure you are aware but none are yet approved for use in the uk.

Broseley fires have scws approved for use in the uk.

Do what ever you feel right for you but don't encourage others who know no better to indulge in your experiments.

What experiments?

Through the vent.

Ok if water is boiled off out of vent how does this get replaced? You need to have a read of the requirements for solid fuel boilers in the UK. This is a UK based forum and we have to conform to the requirements, if you are outside the uk that is up to you, carry on, but don't encurage other to follow

Ok if water is boiled off out of vent how does this get replaced? You need to have a read of the requirements for solid fuel boilers in the UK. This is a UK based forum and we have to conform to the requirements, if you are outside the uk that is up to you, carry on, but don't encurage other to follow

Someone said its dangerous. Its not. I'm well aware of the regs.

Through the vent.

I apologise for misreading your post. I saw only "no cold feed/expansion" and thought you meant sealed.

You are still encouraging practices of which not many people are aware of the consequences if not done correctly.
Why?

And who MI's do you comly with? all manufacturers base their instuctions on the the regs unless of coures you fit some dodgy chinese carp

I apologise for misreading your post. I saw only "no cold feed/expansion" and thought you meant sealed.

You are still encouraging practices of which not many people are aware of the consequences if not done correctly.
Why?

What solid fuel stove manufactorer would allow a vent only no cold feed???????

I would encourage Mr Flux to adhere to the MI's. But they seem to be scant on information regarding the piping layout.
I'd also recommend a clear and unobstructed path to the boiler.

I would encourage Mr Flux to adhere to the MI's. But they seem to be scant on information regarding the piping layout.
I'd also recommend a clear and unobstructed path to the boiler.

That is because they expect it to be fitted by someone with some idea of the regs

None that i have heard of

Sorry Tam I was refering to this
"Connect a solid fuel boiler up with a vent and no cold feed/expansion the water will simply boil off. I know that because I've done it.
Did you read what peteheat wrote on the bs6700 thread? That guy knows his stuff."

Aye i read the other thread. I thought it peculiar he (Nordio) would refer to that post when it was clear to a wean with a biscuit bum what peteheat was on about :frown:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to installing a back boiler oil link up in a bungalow, anyway around it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been told that I can't have a mains pressure unvented hot water cylinder with a back boiler on a wood burning stove as the heat source is uncontrollable. Is there a method to make the heat source controllable? I was imagining that if the cylinder was at its maximum temperature then if...
Replies
Views
Hi My grandmothers property has a back boiler heated by a solid fuel appliance using coal. Yes, I know. She’s stubborn! Unfortunately the property has been vacant for a long while, a pipe froze and burst and left damp. It’s imperative we get the house heated and warmed up enough to dry it...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in the garage which is fully pumped to the TS, the system has two pumps both basic 3speed Grunfoss, one on the boiler return and the other on the CH flow...
Replies
Views
I currently have a Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 438 system boiler which is 13 years old. I have been having problems with the boiler which potentially boils down to the heat exchanger so I am now looking to bite the bullet and have a new boiler installed. My set up at home is that I have a 4-bed...
Replies
Views
Evening everyone, I’ve got this lovely little bungalow that I’m struggling to get my head around the heating on. It’s a F and E system with 8 radiators, and I’m not really very clued up on central heating, or even plumbing in general, but the whole set up seems quite odd. The pipe into the main...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock