Search the forum,

Discuss installing a back boiler oil link up in a bungalow, anyway around it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The solid fuel boiler comes from the right hand side and the oil boiler from the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the valve station I built for it...
http://alturl.com/mgztz

You won't find anything like that on your travels through the sticks of Tyrone. What do you think of that big Danfoss AVTA cooling valve in there and the 28mm sheeps crook anti gravity loop? Nice features I think and works extremely well.

I would like to know how the solid fuel boiler is vented? How does the danfoss cooling valve cool the boiler/ system as it seems to be connnected flow to flow? It monitors the temp of the return to solid fuel boiler and does what? The auto bypass valve bypasses a 2 port? Two 15mm vertical pipes left side are feed and vent? The isolation valve on the flow is for a AAV
possibly?

The solid fuel boiler is vented in line with bs6700 recommendations.
System separation via a plate heat exchanger is used. The by-pass valve is not strictly needed in that position and only operates in the event of the HW zone valve not opening whilst in solid fuel mode.
Its wired HW priority and automatically shuts down the oil boiler when the solid fuel reaches set point as defined on the solid fuel boilers onboard electronic controller.
Its a five zone property with the fifth zv in the hot press.

The cooling valve maintains a steady return temperature to the plate through proportional control as the cylinder heats up and the coil return temp rises, dumping excess energy into the CH thus preventing the sf boiler over heating on hw only.

The two 15mm pipes are supplying the bathroom radiator and the 15mm isolator was there temporarily for pressure testing and now fitted with a manual air vent.

anyway guys started this back boiler 2day and i am going with the gravity circuit to the hot water cyclinder via tracking the return accross the floor back the stove! i have another quick question is it necessary to install another cold feed even tho im linking it into the existing heating system which obviously already has a cold feed??

Yes the solid fuel boiler needs a cold feed as well.

@ simong sfa require a heat leak rad or gravity to cylinder or both

Be careful to make sure the return from cylinder to boiler has a slight, consistent fall - even though it is below floor.

may be more use http://www.solidfuel.co.uk/pdfs/link_up.pdf the previous link shows systems not allowed in the UK

I think you are referring to the heat leak radiator being ommited on the schematic.
From the sfa.....
The heat leak radiator is not a safety device but serves to reduce the risk of water boiling and discharging into the header tanks and out the overflow. I am not aware of any legislation which covers this issue.

MI's always superceeds the regs in any case.

I think you are referring to the heat leak radiator being ommited on the schematic.
From the sfa.....
The heat leak radiator is not a safety device but serves to reduce the risk of water boiling and discharging into the header tanks and out the overflow. I am not aware of any legislation which covers this issue.

MI's always superceeds the regs in any case.

No it is the solid fuel boiler in the link which is on a pressurised system

The Stanley Brandon in the link is oil fired. So ok for a sealed system.

you have to think of others looking at this thread and thinking its ok to put a solid fuel boiler on a pressurised system, as this thread is about linking solid fuel to oil

you have to think of others looking at this thread and thinking its ok to put a solid fuel boiler on a pressurised system, as this thread is about linking solid fuel to oil

There's nothing in the link to suggest connecting a solid fuel boiler to a sealed/pressurised system. What link are you looking at?
But since you mention it, it is OK to put solid fuel on a sealed system in the uk. Broseley fires for example have scws fully approved for use in the uk for solid fuel stoves engineered appropriately.

let yaz know how i get on, will be fitting the stove end of next week!

near all finished just need to connect pipes to boiler and fill the system! 1 more question the customer is now putting a harth around the stove and he was asked me to move the pump up above the ceiling into the roofspace, was thinking of putting it on the return to the stove,the only thing is that i have the feed and expansion on the flow out off the stove would this cause any problems?

What way do you have it piped? Have you used 4 pipes, ( 2 for gravity, normally 28mm & 2 for pumped circuit).
The gravity pipes should have a vent on flow & a feed on return. No valves or pump.

What way do you have it piped? Have you used 4 pipes, ( 2 for gravity, normally 28mm & 2 for pumped circuit).
The gravity pipes should have a vent on flow & a feed on return. No valves or pump.

no i went the fully pumped route customer didnt like the idea of his new wooden floors being ripped up, he was happy enough to go ahead with it fully pumped! i ust have 2 pipes going to stove and i have the cold feed and the vent coming off the pipes when the enter the roofspace! The pump isnt blocking the vent as it is on the return to the boiler, i have a 22mm vent and cold feed coming off the flow pipework 100mm apart!

Not a way I would think of doing it. Assume you took the pipes to cylinder & then rads. That means the pump is on the gravity return, near to boiler?

Fit a gravity heat leak rad of the correct size, if the power goes off the heat has somewere to go, it is not a requirement to have gravity to the cylnder as long as you can get rid of the heat in a rad

I would advise a fire to have a gravity circuit bare minimum with flow having a vent, return a feed pipe. Some systems have been done with a pumped circuit teed to gravity circuit. At least this is not dangerous.

Not a way I would think of doing it. Assume you took the pipes to cylinder & then rads. That means the pump is on the gravity return, near to boiler?

Gravity return? as i said there is no gravity circuit, the two pipes just link into the existing central heating pipework where te flow and return enter the property! yea the pump is on the return to the stove near the stove and feed and expansion is on the flow from the stove???

Yes agreed cold feed on return and vent on flow, this needs changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to installing a back boiler oil link up in a bungalow, anyway around it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock