Discuss your job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
First proper bit of work today since i broke up for crimbo/new year .
Must say i hated every minute of it from the moment getting up to going out and hanging a couple rads despised every second of it .Now io felt like this most of last year pretty much hated plumbing and heating which probably tells me i need a career change however possibly bit late to change now.Speaking to other gas/plumbs over crimbo and they are saying same as me even guys that have been doing it for only a few years all hating it and getting same response its now a pants trade .

This got me thinking about some of my other friends whom have very good jobs and very well paid and talk up their jobs , for e.g one travels world promoting sports events from moto gp to form 1 ,another works on luxuary yachts and lives in thailand living the dream as he says and another works for the hugo boss sailing team again loves his job.

Now whom on here can say that they totaly love going to work still wether HA's or site work gas,or water .Whom on here gets up and thinks yep plumbing is a great job despite all the hassle and grief??

I loved it years ago but for me the bubble has very much burst

Me ive had a fair few jobs since coming out of the forces and am a great believer in the first time I don't enjoy will be the time I sell up and move on , although I've come close in last year but that's probably my fault for letting things get to me

I love being on site/peoples houses/talking to people etc.

I hate the paperwork though and cannot get into the mindset to do it (damn you Youtube!) got and bathroom and kitchen to price, a report to do and invoices. If I don't get them done by the time I go out tonight I'll be mega stressed next week.

I love it and can't see myself doing anything else. I was a lorry driver from 17 up until I was 23 and wish I'd gone straight into plumbing from school. Best thing I ever did to be honest.

Sounds like maybe you just need a holiday mate.

It is a extremely hard trade to be in right now though , but I get perked up when I see plumbing vans tools etc been sold off cos they've moved onto a different job

I got out of maintenance work long time ago and heating too.Now I only install bathrooms and I enjoy it, and get a lot of satisfaction from comparing the finished install to the original and hearing the customers comments.
If I was still doing jobbing work, lead work and external plumbing works, I'd hate it. You need to find something you are good at and enjoy doing and stick with that.

I dislike work always have, no matter what I've done, some I dislike more than others!

All joking aside the statement above is true, this is my character though, I take things personally, being knocked for money, being treated like I'm an idiot by customers, not being believed by customers or other members of the public etc. I wish I could be more chilled but I can't.

My problem is I think people think the way I do this is not the case.

I disliked having a boss even more though.

Having said all that, I've finished work for the day and its 2pm! can't be bad. I'm 45 and only met one person who 100% enjoyed there job and that is my dad in law. he's a typical engineer but rose to director of something, he genuinely loved what he did.

My girlfriend earns excellent money is career driven is a director in a bank for non residential property anything in excess of £50m, she is in her words 'a ***** for the money' doesn't mind the job but is there for the money and money only. I speak to a fair few of her colleagues, BMW or Aston sitting on the drive (all on the book) massive house (huge mortgage) they would have us believe they're happy but they have a huge monster to feed every month! A whiff of redundancy and they have sleepless nights.

My point is if your happy/content with your lot and not too materialistic then your doing pretty well in life IMO,

Always makes me giggle when I turn up in my Hyundai I10.

On a depressing note happiness is only fleeting, easy job today, you know you'll pay for it tomorrow, 2 hour job turns into 5 if your lucky!

Love my job, like the challenge, like the satisfaction but you do get the glass half empty feeling every now and again. But it will be the same in every job. A mate of mine is site manager of a chemical company, he flies around the world, on call at weekends, works 12 hour days and hates it.

good point by system3 maybe its because i'm getting fed up with doing certain works but what has been vexing me over last couple years is the shirt tie brigade whom seem to try to justify the job they have ,also the public are becoming know it all gobby nuisances i seem to get a constant stream of that .

Personally i'm going to see how i feel in 6 months or so if still hating the game then time to move on

I love my work. I meet different people everyday, most are good and some are bad, but that's just life. I don't mind getting up in the morning, I like sitting in the van warming it up drinking a cup of tea :)

sometimes you get the occasional bad job but its all part of it really. There are some jobs that I actually despise, like wet work inside a boiler, but I try to avoid it.

I like the fact I can earn good money for an honest days work. I've earnt 180 quid today and I'm back home now. I bet there's some people out there who work all week for that. So I count myself fortunate that I have a trade that allows me to do alright for myself. Ok, I'm not setting the world in fire, but I'm doing more than enough to make sure I'm financially secure and then some.

I must admit I wouldn't fancy going back on council or HA work, but it'd only be the surrounding that's change. The actual job remains the same. So it's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to your job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock