Discuss Woman claiming on my insurance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

johnmcginty

Was going to put this up in the insurance though my customer comes on here. Basically I was wondering weather I had a leg to stand on or weather I would have to cough up the excess of £250 for a insurance claim and basically just wanted to consult you old boys who have maybe been in a similar situation. It is as simple as this , I tried to find a stopcock and pulled out a washing machine , this tore the lino about six or so inches. My gripe is that this lino was bubbly as hell and did not look like it was laid properly in the first place. No terms were signed beforehand .What would you guys do ? I am thinking of going round and taking photos of it? Any help would be appreciated guys.

Thats a high excess john...

I would probs just hand it over to the liabilty..they will look at how old the flooring as and take over from there...thats what you pay it for...

wouldnt bother with the insurance. get her to choose a new lino and fit it yourself or pay shop to do it.
still wouldnt cost 250 quid, and you keep your customer happy, maybe even get to add it on to the next bill ?!

Alright mate , this is an old one, cost £250 on excess didn't want anything to do with her after that , could have put newone in myself for a lot less, actually she did the next plumber in after me too, she was a thief tbh, claimed the excess back in tax anyway. why have you got the same problem?

1. Easy to say but difficult to do - refuse to pay.
2. Keep a really good diary of all conversations and communications.
3. 99 times out a 100 (possible exaggeration) you won't damage lino when moving a machine. So use your defence of the lino being in poor condition. (Also lesson learned for another time to ask customer to move machine or warn of damage!)
4. Can you contact the other plumber? 2 are stronger than one.
5. Tell her she can claim on her house insurance (but then her house insurers might contact you and try claiming off you).
6. If things start getting out of hand, try giving £50 for compensation (and keep note of this as per No.2)
7. Only contact your solicitor if you really need to.

I had builders in ages ago who screwed the shower valve back on with an 18v drill!! Idiots!!!!

My first reaction was, "Fiddlesticks" (less letters) because I'm going to have to buy a new shower. Never dawned on me to make them pay for one as if you have tradesmen in, you have to accept there might be damage to your property (e.g. toolbox dents in a door frame, marks on the floor, etc).

I appreciate my thoughts are easy to type but if you can get out of this then your next year's insurance bill won't be mouth watering.

Best of luck!!

no not the same problem, just curious incase it happens to me because when working in my aunties i ripped the lino moving the washing machine, luckily she didnt care

I posted this thread in 2009 , so it's long gone now, i asked her to move the machine she said oh can you ?, also she did the other plumber around a year later. it was my inexperience as i always let the custard know it could rip now so they can do it or if i do it i cant accept liability. thanks for the advice though.

heard a good thing to do is to lubricate the floor with fairy liquid, not tried it myself though

lol thats my bad :p i was bored so went back into the past to see if anything interested me

its a good topic as it can happen to all

IMHO

In my eyes you moved it so you were liable (dont hate me), you could have refused or asked her to sign a disclaimer of some sort, long winded I know

The current state of the lino does come into effect tho as insurance agreements are like for like, id love someone to crash into my car for the insurers to deliver a brand new one!

its tough but that is what insurance is for, I would have spoke to a local contractor and seen if he could fit a new one for her and i help him out or have to pay him

Funny this should come up as on friday I was doing my bit for the atmosphere and was having Cavity Wall Insulation

The fitter drilled from my garage straight through to my hall way ripping apart the wall paper. I admit the wall paper is 10 plus years old but wonder how this will be resolved, I currently await the 'manager to attend and inspect'

Ol;d post but worth a comment ,use furniture ppolish on the lino floor

Had this happen a couple of times and after the first one which i paid to replace as it was cheaper than my excess, i told them if they wanted me to take it out, i would take care but if it ripped it was their responsibility. Fairy liquid works a treat but watch for it sticking to the front feet as you lift it. A couple i have refused to attempt to move as they are jambed in so tight.
Btw if you pass it to your insurer they will generally settle on any figure up to your excess.

anyone go along the disclaimer route,if so a link or brief summary of what it says would be good. as they can deny their word to their insurers if any damage occurs.

Yep as gas man said i always use a doormat or one they have made out of an old piece of carpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Woman claiming on my insurance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
Dear All I would be grateful for some advice if possible please, as I am in dispute with my ex-landlord. I was a tenant in a flat for over...
Replies
Views
PhilC2
P
W
Some of you will remember I had a accusation that I had caused water damage to a customers house when in fact it was from the shower pump hubby...
Replies
Views
DarkCrystl
D
C
Hi guys some advice needed I recently attended a property to replace a faulty drop flush valve, while there I was asked to have a look at a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock