Discuss Wifi TRV's in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

If not heating bedrooms is your main desire then I'd recommend starting with plain trv's in bedrooms (you'll need them fitted either way) set to no2 to keep rooms cooler.
Have thermostat in main room and boiler set to around 60degC or maybe a bit lower in spring say 50deg and balance rads (see any balancing thread)
If that's not doing the job then could look at evohome or tado as the better options. For your needs just having actuators in bedrooms should be adequate.

If not heating bedrooms is your main desire then I'd recommend starting with plain trv's in bedrooms (you'll need them fitted either way) set to no2 to keep rooms cooler.
Have thermostat in main room and boiler set to around 60degC or maybe a bit lower in spring say 50deg and balance rads (see any balancing thread)
If that's not doing the job then could look at evohome or tado as the better options. For your needs just having actuators in bedrooms should be adequate.
Hi, Thanks for the reply,
Sorry, I didn't make it clear. I'm new to plumbing :)
I do want to heat all the rooms. effectively we have 2 zones, the bedroom end and the other end.
The day end will need heating all day but the bedroom zone just early AM and just before bed time.
Cheers,
Keith.

I'm not sure it is needed. It depends how the system is set up, and some of the systems have a central control that is very modifiable and in which you can change the setup just by altering the programming rather than actually having to make physical changes, but - in short - I can't really see why you'd need to have one room dictating when other rooms are coming on. Having a room thermostat that switches the entire system on and off only makes sense if you have mechanical TRVs that have no way of telling the boiler that the room they are in is a bit cold and can it please send some hot water their way, which, in my opinion, doesn't really make for a very good system.

As gmartine has said, the disadvantage of having an all-wireless-TRV system in which any single TRV can fire up the boiler, is that the boiler might not like working under, potentially, extreme part-load. That said, as long as the installer fits a bypass valve, I suspect the boiler may run happily enough albeit at reduced efficiency, but the fact that none of your house is ever overheated may result in a lower overall fuel consumption than a boiler running efficiently and overheating parts of the house will. System efficiency vs. boiler efficiency is an interesting topic, in my opinion.
Thanks for the input. My plumber has said a bypass valve can be fitted (instead of a constantly on rad) so it seems I'm good to go.

Reply to Wifi TRV's in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Afternoon all, I have a customer with a heavily extended semi which now has 4 beds, 2 bathroom and 5 reception rooms. They have started working...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised...
Replies
Views
Hi, I just moved into a new house and it has a Glow Worm Compact 24c combi boiler and a ESI ESRTP4RF+ programmable room thermostat and I am...
Replies
Views
Would like some help please as my Drayton Wiser system is a mess. I had 2 TRVs in the lounge, one in the main bedroom, the rest of the house - 6...
Replies
Views
I have a Nest thermostat in my hallway which gets affected by the front door opening and closing. This thermo operates one zone (downstairs). I...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock