Search the forum,

Discuss Wich flux is best please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

learnplum

Hi all as the title says, what is the best flux to use?
For example at the moment I am using laco.
Also I use lead free solder with it.
Does anyone use a leaded solder with a certain flux for central heating pipework?
Thanks.:tounge_smile:

Hi would you say, it is best to use a certain flux, with a leaded or un-leaded solder on heating pipework? Thanks.

Ive found laco to be really corrosive if not cleaned fully, I use powerflow
but its each to there own,
your best going the merchants and getting there smallest tub of all the different fluxs and find which one you prefer

Dancin, you switched flux and solder?
Please en-lighten me?
Thanks?

Laco for me because it's what I was taught with and just carried on that way.

Nocorrode for me, gave up on laco and powerflow that seem to cause fittings to seize and they both burn my soft skin. Found no corrode last year, luv it, doesnt seem to leave stains etc, and I use leaded on heating n gas unleaded on potable n hw, cant see the point in wasting money on unleaded :)

Nocorrode for me, gave up on laco and powerflow that seem to cause fittings to seize and they both burn my soft skin. Found no corrode last year, luv it, doesnt seem to leave stains etc, and I use leaded on heating n gas unleaded on potable n hw, cant see the point in wasting money on unleaded :)
Lead free best on everything tight arse!

+1 for powerflow. My dad taught me to solder when I was 14. He used powerflow then. I've tried ever flux and can't get on with it.

Horses for courses. Use what you know.

You lucky sod knowing who your dad was you must be right posh ?
I had to learn off my mums plumber who had a stroke but insisted he would change the hwc for mum with me doing it at about age 13 ! I did learn that mums angle poise lamp was fooked as I held it one hand and touched the cylinder as I shot backwards breaking the bannister !

Frys Fluxite ('grease' based) flux I use. Solder flows very well with it & it is not vicious on copper like the acid based fluxes. Can burn a bit if you were reckless & overheat when doing lead free soldering.
I use leaded solder on end feed fittings for heating work as much easier to work with that solder & cheaper, although I do lead free joints on places - like a vunerable pipe where it might get abuse, for to strengthen it.
Lead free solder on water supplies obviously.

Powerflow stinks and causes the fittings to stick, laco for me, doesn't end up going everywhere with the brush in the lid. Just remember to wipe the fittings after soldering. I've started using leaded on heating too, I like the way it takes a little longer to.set so you can wipe it around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wich flux is best please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock