Search the forum,

Discuss Why Plastic Pipe Is Rubbish... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
IMG_0246.jpg

Went to an emergency callout tonight. Water marks on the ground floor ceiling. Drilled a few inspection holes and found this! A mouse had taken a chomp out of the 10mm microbore pipework supplying the basin upstairs. Mains pressure pipe and all! Luckily for the homeowner it was only really opening when the pipe was flexed at all. The result had the mouse gone a bit further through could have been pretty bad!

Yet another reason why we never use the stuff.

View attachment 23019

Went to an emergency callout tonight. Water marks on the ground floor ceiling. Drilled a few inspection holes and found this! A mouse had taken a chomp out of the 10mm microbore pipework supplying the basin upstairs. Mains pressure pipe and all! Luckily for the homeowner it was only really opening when the pipe was flexed at all. The result had the mouse gone a bit further through could have been pretty bad!

Yet another reason why we never use the stuff.

Did the mouse eat your boots?

I was just thinking about the shoes, quite often I find myself working in just my socks which is crazy.
People have such pristine cream carpets ...

I was just thinking about the shoes, quite often I find myself working in just my socks which is crazy.
People have such pristine cream carpets ...
I don't care who you are or whether you've got a white silk carpet, my boots stay on.
Disposable Over-Shoes Pack of 100 | Socks & Overshoes | NoLinkingToThis

they do it to get a drink as they can smell the water through the pipe!!

Just another poor plumber trying to make ends meet, cant afford to buy shoes yet ! lucky he's not in the south west, cant even afford the socks down here

Tell the customer to keep the pipe and put the repairs through insurance.

Don't forget to charge accordingly - and allow for a pair of boots in the final price!!

Was it barrier pipe? Or just plastic, I wobdered if they penetrated through the metal layer!?

Was it barrier pipe? Or just plastic, I wobdered if they penetrated through the metal layer!?

Your think of unpor Mlc or how ever you spell it

I've seen aluminium barrier type pipe chewed threw by rats / rodents to get to water.
For some reason they know there's water inside the pipe.

The funny thing is, they only chew through the pipe until there is enough moisture for them to drink. They only ever seem to go so far so the pipe weeps water then stop chewing.

barrier pipe has a butelyne layer to stop water leaching through pipe...or somat like that?

the barrier is to stop oxygen getting into the water which is bad news on heating doesnt make anydifference to services

The mlcp pipe will still get chewed through. The little bleeders will even strip cable.

I always leave my boots on.
One less thing to carry when one has to do a runner.

Ive seen where rats have made a maze in a solid concrete floor to find the water in the cold main, moved 8 bags full of concrete dust that they dug out,

And either buy a second pair of boots or some shoe covers,

Ive got one pair for mud
One pair for general
And the shoe covers for quotes and cream carpets
And a pair of wellies for when there's a flood

As for the damaged pipe, a pest controller told me yrs ago that the poison they put down makes the rats/mice extremely thirsty and they will chew/gnaw through pretty much any material, be it copper or plastic, to get at water

Interesting, the homeowners have put down lots of poison and traps recently. Was dodging them in the loft lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Why Plastic Pipe Is Rubbish... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock