Search the forum,

Discuss Why Is My Hilmor Tap Wrench So Rubbish? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used my Hilmor tap wrench quite a few times over the last few years - mainly on basin and sink taps. I've come to the conclusion that it's utter carp.

I offer it up to the tap connector, and have to hold the curved, hinged bit against the side of the nut. More often than not, assoon as I try to turn the wrench, it slips off.

Am I doing something wrong? What tap wrenches do plumbers use?

Irwin Hilmor Adjustable Basin Wrench (Tap Spanner) Yellow 10" » Product

Armeg jaw droppers not a whole lot better.... Do as I do and avoid sanitary

Yep crows foot and ratchet here. Toolstation do a cheapset that is passable. Just wish tap connector muts and tap back nuts were all a standard size they seem to be digferent every time I fit a tap.

Ive given up on those and just use my old mans hand me down crows foot.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why they called it a crows foot.
Anyway, in a confined space when you're bent double, backwards, with your nose squashed against floor or wall with one ball hanging out your y-fronts plus a tight wedgie and sweating cobs, no tool works properly. There's never anyone around to punch, I always get my hair off.

Last edited:
I like other peoples hair, generally toilet next to bath with a lovely pile of pubes between

I used to have the yellow ones featured above don't think I've used anything worse as a tool.

for me the jaw droppers are the daddy. Love me and wouldn't recommend anything other

The reason the hilmor is rubbish is because it's not a hilmor. It's junk Chinese carp that many so called tool manufacturers put there names to. There is a serious lack of quality from a lot of companies that had good stuff once. Even bacho have cheapened there adjustable.

personally I'd rather pay extra for good quality, but it seems the market is fading into cheap and cheerful.

Britool have sadly gone down the road of foreign imports now.

For quality gear nowadays it's been reduced to a toss-up between King Dick and Snap-on, though second to none in quality, neither of them can be described as readily affordable.

I did splash out over £30 for a basic King Dick screwdriver set about 10 years ago and they're still hardly showing any wear despite almos daily use so you do generally get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Britool have sadly gone down the road of foreign imports now.

For quality gear nowadays it's been reduced to a toss-up between King Dick and Snap-on, though second to none in quality, neither of them can be described as readily affordable.

I did splash out over £30 for a basic King Dick screwdriver set about 10 years ago and they're still hardly showing any wear despite almos daily use so you do generally get what you pay for.

Got a set of king dick plodgers £0 squired them when building Sheds few years ago

For the life of me, I can't figure out why they called it a crows foot.
Anyway, in a confined space when you're bent double, backwards, with your nose squashed against floor or wall with one ball hanging out your y-fronts plus a tight wedgie and sweating cobs, no tool works properly. There's never anyone around to punch, I always get my hair off.

Got to be quote of the week! Laughed so much, I think both baubles came out the Y-fronts briefly!

Thanks for everyone's advice. I have a 3/4" drive ratchet and long extensions, so reckon that a crows foot would be better for tap connector nuts. What sizes do I need for standard basin and bath tap connector nuts? May also have a look at the Monument tap wrench as it seems a popular choice on here.

Last edited:
Yeh i do. Although its not that model u show but the rothenberger one. I posted a link of it earlier on this thread. The jaw works on like a spring bases so u can do it one handed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Why Is My Hilmor Tap Wrench So Rubbish? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

V
Hi all, I'm completely inexperienced at this, but my kitchen taps are ancient, and the water has started dripping. Rather than just change the washer, I want to change the entire thing to a mixer tap that supports two holes. I think I've figured most of it out except for the part where I...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
    • Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked very corroded around the tap handle. An Anglian Water engineer was at the property measuring my water pressure and flow rate. When he saw the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to remove the kitchen tap, it was installed around 2009. I can't seem to unscrew the connector, I've tried a variety of tools from a basin wrench to plumbers grips, access is tight but I can't move it. Can anyone give me any advice? I have called my plumber but he hasn't responded...
Replies
Views
Jeff carpenter
J
Hi. I'm looking for a bit of advice. First, I'm not a plumber, 2nd it's not a house, it's on a boat (probably doesn't make any difference). Maybe somewhat naively I've bought some wall taps on the internet and, by the time I've paid postage both ways, I might as well suck it up and not return...
Replies
Views
F
Hi, My bathroom is getting redone in a few weeks. I have the option of 2 taps again or a mixer. I've seen online that if the hot flow is 'too much' lower than the cold, a mixertap won't work well. How do I know if it might be an issue? (Or what the cause of difference is?) (I can't say for sure...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock