Discuss Where does it specify local electrical isolation is req? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmheat

Gas Engineer
Hi all

I keep seeing this and hearing it....but what regulations state that a replacement boiler would need electrics upgrading by having local electrical isolation installed?

I can't think of a gas reg that states this, and no electricians can seem to quote me a regulation stating this.

example; replacement of heat only boiler in kitchen (no longer special location),with electrics fed from, and electrical isolation by UNSWITCHED socket in airing cupboard. I can understand that it's nice to fit an isolator next to the boiler, but why should I get a sparky in just for this when there's full isolation with infinite separation found in the airing cupboard? The boiler MIs say you need double pole isolator which MAY be by way of dp fused spur, I will argue that an UNSWITCHED socket is every bit as good and still fitted as per MIs

Discuss :)

im sure theres a reg saying within one meter of the boiler or it may be in the mi's when the main isolation is in airing cupboard we have to fit isolater next to boiler

im sure theres a reg saying within one meter of the boiler or it may be in the mi's when the main isolation is in airing cupboard we have to fit isolater next to boiler

Hi Steve

The last heat only boiler I fitted was a Main HE A, same as baxi solo he, and all it says in the MIs is
"the method of connection to the electricity supply must facilitate complete electrical isolation of the appliance"
Below that it says that it MAY be via DP fuse spur with min 3mm separation supplying system and boiler.

if you interpret that.....then they are even maybe saying NOT to fit an independent boiler isolator? That the electrical supply must isolate the system also!

Regards

dan

I'm with Steve I thought it had to be within 1m of boiler on a new install? Don't know what reg it is mate, but I'm sure there is something somewhere.

Old firm I worked for used to always put fused spur next to boiler even if it meant moving wiring, and I have just carried this on.

Hi

Thats my point! Everyone is so sure there's something somewhere but nobody knows where! Lol! I strongly suspect it's not in any regulation at all!

Do you guys install these fuse spurs or triple pole isolators yourselves or get sparkys in?

i dont fit them for this company but did in the past on my own work i always used a triple pole switch but carried the earth straight through using the third pole for switch live

i dont fit them for this company but did in the past on my own work i always used a triple pole switch but carried the earth straight through using the third pole for switch live

Do you have to issue a minor works cert for adding an isolator on the boiler circuit?

Still curious to know if anyone can prove this requirement is nothing more than a rumour? Lol

Valliant spec a 3 pin plug.

Extract from isar MI "electrical isolation is pointless as the boiler will not be subject to repair only replacment"

Baxi duo tec 2 "do not isolate as the pcb more temperamental than my mrs"

The MI's state the electrical isolation/protection required.
Also have a gander at BS6798.

Apart from the mention of accessible position etc..... you have to consider the requirements for safe isolation. This will include the need to have the point of isolation under the control of the competent person. If the point of isolation is not next to the appliance then you would have to lock off the supply while work is being carried out. This is why some companies like BG and some manufacturers will not work on an appliance without local isolation.

basically its best practice and normally manufacturers requirements. It makes sense to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where does it specify local electrical isolation is req? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Hi all - hoping someone knowledgeable can help as I'm super confused by this.... I have a standard system / gravity fed boiler, large cold tank...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
I moved house a few months ago and am slowly but surely figuring out its nuances. Wouldn't it be wonderful if houses came with wiring/plumbing...
Replies
Views
A number of issues have been raised from a boiler replacement. Boiler not operating and with no pressure. Tile damage Sprawling pipe layout in...
Replies
Views
Now sorted... don’t bother reading this stupid long post. Hi, I’ve got a bit of a head scratcher here and wondered what you guys would make of...
Replies
Views
Sharp Point
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock