Discuss What size lead lock to use in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, I have a length of lead pipe to a garden tap. The lead pipe has been sweated to copper and this 15mm copper is connected to the tap. There is a leak in the lead pipe and I want to cut the lead pipe below the leak and to add a lead lock to connect 15mm copper to up to the tap.

I believe the lead pipe is either going to be 5 / 6 / 7 lb.

My question is this... How loose should the lead lock be when first fitted (before tightening)? Should it be very tight? Very loose?

Should i get smaller leadlock and shave back the lead to get a better fit?

Or will the appropriate sized lock be very loose when fitting and then very tight when tightened up

Should be tight. If you have the ‘correct’ size it often won’t quite go on and you need to shave the lead down. Use a Stanley knife and poke a wooden spoon handle ( or similar) in the pope to stop any bits of lead going in.
Usually I cut a piece off and take it with me to merchants to get y thy he right size, if not buy several and take back what not needed.

Attachments

• F48F4A02-FAA1-4DA8-9A45-E75FC6A40052.jpeg
    F48F4A02-FAA1-4DA8-9A45-E75FC6A40052.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 69406A27-7B2F-474A-B3CD-5BBF1AFD0D9A.jpeg
    69406A27-7B2F-474A-B3CD-5BBF1AFD0D9A.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Reply to What size lead lock to use in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have a troublesome fixed 15mm copper pipe with isolation valve going to my toilet fill valve. It's too tight for a Flexi hose. Can I use...
Replies
Views
Random push fit pipe with no end on near toilet ,would this be leading to anywhere shower etc think it is connected to a longer pipe headed toward...
Replies
Views
Hi I've had to cut hot and cold feed to re route for bathroom feeds. The 22mm Copper pipe hot feed is slightly smaller then my 22mm Copper...
Replies
Views
I need to cap off an old lead water pipe in the garden as I have an new MDPE pipe water supply. I have a Screwfix FLOMASTA COMPRESSION REDUCING...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I am replacing a leaking push fit flexi tap connector under the bath with a compression fitting flexi. The problem is that the old pipe seems...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock