Search the forum,

Discuss Old pipework size in bathroom in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I've had to cut hot and cold feed to re route for bathroom feeds.

The 22mm Copper pipe hot feed is slightly smaller then my 22mm Copper.
Solder fittings just slip over it and are really loose so I gather this is old imperial pipe, so I shall use a 3/4 to 22mm coupler.

However on the 15mm cold feed, the old pipe Seems slightly BIGGER then new 15mm copper pipe, which is confusing me as if it was old imperial pipe I'd of thought it would of been smaller ( like the 22mm pipe is )

Compression fittings seem to fit okay, also push fit JG fitti gw do go on but take more of a shove, and I can get a solder fitting on but it does need a Tap with a hammer to go fully home.

Is there a special converter for this or will any normal method do the job ? I will attach an image but its hard to tell from a photo the difference.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230717_150148.jpg
    20230717_150148.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 9
The "Old 15mm" is 1/2" with an overall diameter just over 15mm, so it won't go straight into a 15mm capillary fitting.
It will go into a 15mm olive, especially with todays "somewhere around 15mm will do" standard of foreign manufactured fittings.
A rub over 1/2" with a file or abrasive paper will get it down enough to fit into a 15mm fitting.

1/2" copper was sized by bore, not overall diameter like 15mm

The "Old 15mm" is 1/2" with an overall diameter just over 15mm, so it won't go straight into a 15mm capillary fitting.
It will go into a 15mm olive, especially with todays "somewhere around 15mm will do" standard of foreign manufactured fittings.
A rub over 1/2" with a file or abrasive paper will get it down enough to fit into a 15mm fitting.

1/2" copper was sized by bore, not overall diameter like 15mm
Thank you ! How about a 15mm to 1/2 coupler as I plan to use on the 22mm

Or as both you guys stated I'll just use abrasive paper or wire wool and keep going until the standard 15mm fitting pushes on nicely

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230717_164532_Screwfix.jpg
    Screenshot_20230717_164532_Screwfix.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 10

Reply to Old pipework size in bathroom in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Most grateful for any advice on the fittings reqired to enable 22mm feeds into the mixer taps via the chrome extension pipes customer supplied in a kit with no instructions. The taps are 'Homes 1924 Bathrooms' This is a free standing kit. There chrome pipe is 35mm internal with a detachable...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to connect 3/4" copper to 22mm copper in an old house. However it appears that the 3/4" is actually slightly smaller (measured at 21.1mm) than it normally is. This means I've been unable to use the special 3/4 to 22mm compression fittings as the olive is just too loose...
Replies
Views
I have discovered a very old end feed 22mm t connector under the bath is very gently weeping water. It’s in a place and with pipework that are going to make it a pig to get at and replace as it is nested between other pipes. If I drain the system would it work to heat it up and end feed some...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of copper pipe between compression fittings on the hot water feed. There are take offs for an outside hot and cold tap together with isolation valves and...
Replies
Views
We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine waste but the problem is in the water supply. Currently there is only hot and cold washing machine hose fitting isolators attached to very short...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock