Discuss What is a 'glitch' in a modern condensing boiler in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

We have quite a new wall hung boiler (18 months). Twice since being installed it has just stopped overnight (1 last year, 1 recently). Our engineer reset it and looked for any problem, he could not find any and said it could just be a 'glitch'. I know roughly what a ' glitch ' is in electrical/computing terms (anything temporary which has thrown the signal so it just doesn't work for a bit and may need rebooting ... ) but I have no idea what a 'glitch' in a gas/heating system might be. Can anyone explain for me?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Hmmm.
Intermittent fault? Please break it properly so the engineer knows what's causing the problem.

Thank you for being the only one to attempt a reply! I was hoping to get a few very generalised comments about central heating glitches, but I guess by 'public' here they mean public who already know things!

I found out in the small print of the small instruction book that short electrical outages can cause a stoppage, so it could be electrical after all. The only surprise is it doesn't happen more often these days.

Regards Creaky

Which boiler?

I had a Worcester 8000 life 30kw where the case would rub against the overheat stat on really cold days. Common issue apparently and was fixed with a bit of duct tape stuck to the case to prevent a short

If you have ruled out the condensate pipe freezing overnight then I suppose it could be an electronic issue.

I know of a few episodes where a spike in the supply caused damage to heating components but it was permanent damage and the components had to be replaced. On a couple of occasions it was a farm on the end of an over ground supply that suffered fluctuations in supply voltage and it saw off a component on a pump circuit board. Another was caused by old household appliances switching, or at least that was the conclusion we came to. Again, that was permanent damage to a programmer.

Another possibility is the controls but I don't know what you have?
If it is something like ebus, that can be effected by an induced voltage from nearby cables or electrical equipment and it doesn't take much as they use relatively small variations to create the commands. The controls which function via the ebus side can be 'confused' and stop working or behave in a strange way.

The most common 'glitch' I find in condensing boilers is generally the flame sense electrode.
The second most common fault I find is the condensate sensor.

Both can or will throw up error codes that will not direct you to the problem directly.

Reply to What is a 'glitch' in a modern condensing boiler in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady...
Replies
Views
D
Hi all, I have read through numerous online guides as well as the pinned Balancing Radiators Thread on this forum. However still have several...
Replies
Views
Dear All New member here, coming looking for help. A few weeks ago I had work carried out by a British Gas Homecare service technician. It...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
Hoping for some advice as I seem to be hitting a brick wall. Moved into a house last year, radiators down strairs (4 of them) never really got...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock