Discuss what can i expect from a 'free boiler' installation in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi..

We have applied for and are having a 'free replacement' boiler under the government scheme.

They will fit a Potterton Baxi replacement (tank fed) and Plume kit? boiler exhaust outlet is close to a kitchen window apparently

I'm just wondering what to expect apart from draining the system and hooking up the new boiler.. My old boiler is an Ideal Classic LXFF & FF Fanned Flue Gas Boiler

appreciate your comments

To be honest, what do you want for nowt?

Depends who the company you've signed with have subbed it out to.

And do bare in mind that whoever arrives to fit it was the cheapest they could find 👍

Maybe update with some photos of before and after once done.

To be honest, what do you want for nowt?

Depends who the company you've signed with have subbed it out to.

And do bare in mind that whoever arrives to fit it was the cheapest they could find 👍

Maybe update with some photos of before and after once done.
Well it may sound like a complaint but it was purely to know what to expect..
Needing to clear rooms for him to access radiators etc

And no it isn't totally free to us either.
But thanks for your reply

Trying a bit of levity with the opening, Yorkshireman here.

How much you having to put to it and why if you don't mind me asking?

Trying a bit of levity with the opening, Yorkshireman here.

How much you having to put to it and why if you don't mind me asking?
I apologise..

The surveyor has a scale of approval.. He worked out out to £460 contribution.. I don't know the true cost of ' just a boiler' but I know we're getting more than we paying. I don't know what access he needs in various places.. Want to help where I can..I used to be self employed and know the difference between a pleasant customer from and an awkward one

Seems like your paying around half

as for access make sure all the rads are accessible and no unnecessary clutter is around, in the loft round the tanks are clear

I apologise..

The surveyor has a scale of approval.. He worked out out to £460 contribution.. I don't know the true cost of ' just a boiler' but I know we're getting more than we paying. I don't know what access he needs in various places.. Want to help where I can..I used to be self employed and know the difference between a pleasant customer from and an awkward one

No need to apologise. Probably didn't come across as I intended.

As for access pretty much same as above. Radiators, boiler and loft for tanks.

And don't sign anything to say you're happy with the installation unless you really are.
You'll struggle to get anyone back to finish off anything they've missed.

The Energy Suppliers pay for most of the costs, if not all.
I suspect the installers are either on a fixed price per unit and win some loose some or are on very tightly controlled costs so can't afford to make return visits (or risk loosing money).

And it's probably too late to query it but check the length of warranty, I was looking the other day and saw an advert from an approved Eco installer stating 2 year warranty on a Worcester boiler, it's normally 5 or 10 years.
I assume the Energy suppliers are buying direct and getting a lower price with less manufacturers warranty.

Last edited:
Make sure they flush all the radiators and pipework... especially when they tick the box in the benchmark to say they have 😁

£460 looks like you’re paying the labour cost

Thanks Stu-B Is flushing, when 'just' fitting a boiler, classed as a standard thing or up to the fitter's discretion? Would that mean taking the radiators off or hooking up a filter system (which I have seen mentioned here and seen on YouTube... some large magnetic device?)

I don't want to make waves if it is optional.. I don't like confrontation at the best of times... LOL

I don't like flying blind.. if you know what I mean..

Reply to what can i expect from a 'free boiler' installation in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I've been reading about the Drayton Wiser system and along the way I began to go down a rabbit hole learning about heating system...
Replies
Views
Hi gents and ladies, Making the probable mistake of buying a house at present : bit of a fixer with a shoddy but recent boiler installation...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I have some knowledge of plumbing and heating and have installed several in my time. I have a new Worcester Bosch Greenstar 40CDi Classic...
Replies
Views
My old mother had a call out of the blue from (something) Energy, she didn't catch the name, who said because my father was on a qualifying...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock