Search the forum,

Discuss washing machines in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

deandive

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I went to a job today, following a visit from a retailer ( not sure which one didnt ask) who had installed a washing machine, on installing the machine he diagnosed insufficient water inlet flow and advised calling a plumber ie me. The existing cold feed was run under a concrete floor in 15mm copper and unprotected, I disconnected this pipe and capped under the sink as I was unhappy with the unprotected pipework. I ran a new cold feed from the bathroom upstairs to fix the insufficient flow issue. Problem solved you would have thought however on turning on the washing machine (there was no longer a flow problem) after approx 5 mins the machine began to vibrate badly and make a banging noise. I advised calling the retailer or manufacturer as I do not deal with washing machines other than installation pipework and waste pipework. I suspected that the transit bolts had not been removed? has anyone got any experience of washing machines that could shed any light on this, its playing on my mind, I hate not having the answers.

Should have just pulled the machine out to see if the transit plate was still in place pal then you would have known.

Was going to say transit bolts but I'm presuming you've already eliminated that possibility?

ya may be right if the transit bolts arent removed the drum cant move, though it should only cause problems on the spin cycle.

Yes i know I wouldnt normally have got away so quickly, but im on jury service this week and had gone there on my way to the court, and couldnt be late, Im 100 % sure its nothing to do with me but im very inquisitive and would normally have tried to get to the bottom of it myself. I know I should have known better but the £65 quid a day the court give you just doesnt cut it

I'd say it's definitely the transit it bolts I asked by a guy when servicing his boiler could I look at his machine I normally say that's a washing machine repair mans job but I said yeah ok he turned it on and 10 minutes later it sounded like he was kango ing the floor the bolts were still in. Stupid thing is he put the machine in himself 4 weeks beforehand and he lived in top floor flat his neighbours musta loved him!

Would definitely say transit bolts. New machines usually have 4 at back of machine that you unscrew and pull out, no more taking the cover off and shaking !!

I didnt fit the bugger was only there to sort the pipework, Im laying the blame squarely at the feet of the guy who installed it. Im going back in march to fit a bathroom I guess il find out then?

I didnt fit the bugger was only there to sort the pipework, Im laying the blame squarely at the feet of the guy who installed it. Im going back in march to fit a bathroom I guess il find out then?
March? Sounds like they'll have a new one by then.

It'll probably walk itself across the kitchen, I've seen that before.

Good for a bit spice in the love life. Works better if you wind one leg up 10mm or so as well :wink:

Yeah works well till you end up with your back squashed against the breakfast bar...:eek:

Thats what your legs are for. Pushing it back while its coming at you. Stay focused on the work :lol:

Thats what your legs are for. Pushing it back while its coming at you. Stay focused on the work :lol:

You are having a laugh! My legs aren't strong enough to hold back them bloody big machines in the launderette :)

Some washing machine are bloody heavy though aren't they? Can hardly move ours.

or you should have levelled the wm mate,

same as gas cookers always check there stability

only takes 2min to level the legs

dont know much about washing machines thats my wimmins dept ,i do know though that screws,bolts,and ntc,s make it explode and flood the kitchen

dont know much about washing machines thats my wimmins dept ,i do know though that screws,bolts,and ntc,s make it explode and flood the kitchen

hope you told her off for not checking your pockets!!

as if :)

Saw a washing machine drum with what looked like a bullet hole in it once. Something had obviously shot from outside-in but I've no idea what it could have been. Actually it might have been a dryer but it's still a mystery.

Saw a washing machine drum with what looked like a bullet hole in it once. Something had obviously shot from outside-in but I've no idea what it could have been. Actually it might have been a dryer but it's still a mystery.
left a 2 inch 10 in my pocket once almost cut the drum in half,dont knw how it did it i think it punched through the drum got stuck in the case and while it was spinning just cut its way round ,stan safegas has just killed his as well

left a 2 inch 10 in my pocket once almost cut the drum in half,dont knw how it did it i think it punched through the drum got stuck in the case and while it was spinning just cut its way round ,stan safegas has just killed his as well

This 'bullet' came from the outside and into the drum though. There was no evidence of anything lying in the drum when I saw it either.

that was my apprentice , he put a hilti 10mm drill bit through the glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to washing machines in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock