Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Warning about Kewgreen Hotels Ltd in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

I wanted to let you guys know that we had a lucky escape with a firm that is 'too big to offer payment terms in writing'. This company runs many Holiday Inn franchises and other hotels around England.

On arriving at a call out I became aware from staff that they had hacked off some of the largest plumbing firms in Lincoln by not paying them promptly. The GM of the hotel I was due to work at would not confirm payment terms/periods in writing so we decided not to do any further work for them.

Just thought I would pass the info around to save anyone else getting into hot water with them. Commercial bits are certainly expensive and I am sure no one wants to work with a company that doesn't guarantee when they will bother paying!

Shocking practise but one that I am becoming aware is fairly common place in the UK with larger companies.

How dare you be so impertinent to ask for payment terms, LOL

Cheers for the heads up

Most of the big guys are douchebags... must go with the territory :lol:

I politely let their commercial director know by email that I thought it was all a bit sneaky. Apparently their payment terms are 'typically' 45 days. Your invoice can't and won't be accepted though until he submits a purchase order. This is done after work is completed. I would imagine 90+ days of waiting for money easily with that process.

It should be illegal in my opinion.

it is illegal according to what the government has stated, payments should be prompt and paid within 30 days max, issue a small claim against them and add interest as stated in your terms.

Hi Lame, do you have a source for that please??

Hi Lame, do you have a source for that please??

This link may help

The trouble is, statutory interest is not sufficiently punitive.

What will happen is you do the work and lets say your invoice is £5,000

After 30 days you start adding interest. So by 120 days, they are 90 days late. Statutory interest (SI) is therefore £5000 x 8.5% /365 x 90 = £104.79

They eventually pay your original £5000, but not the SI. They say that they cant pay the SI because their accounts software wont process anything without a purchase order. You have to decide whether its worth you chasing for the £104.79, knowing that it will take more of your time than its worth. So you forget it.

In the meantime, your business has been without the £5000 operating capital that it needed for 90 days.

Several such clients and your cashflow is under severe pressure.

:(

Most of the bad payers are well known round here. If you get a company miles away calling you up its probably because none of their local companies will deal with them.

On the other hand I have a few large companies I deal with who pay immediately they receive a invoice. They say its because the appreciate my rapid response and quality workmanship. The result is that when they have a problem I will give them priority service.

This link may help

The trouble is, statutory interest is not sufficiently punitive.

What will happen is you do the work and lets say your invoice is £5,000

After 30 days you start adding interest. So by 120 days, they are 90 days late. Statutory interest (SI) is therefore £5000 x 8.5% /365 x 90 = £104.79

They eventually pay your original £5000, but not the SI. They say that they cant pay the SI because their accounts software wont process anything without a purchase order. You have to decide whether its worth you chasing for the £104.79, knowing that it will take more of your time than its worth. So you forget it.

In the meantime, your business has been without the £5000 operating capital that it needed for 90 days.

Several such clients and your cashflow is under severe pressure.

:(

the good thing about small claims is the judge, if you have to go that far normally sides with the little man and allows you to charge for time taken chasing and time in chambers etc etc, and the one time I had to sit in front of the beak and won, the original bill was around £500, but I got another £700Plus for interest, costs etc. made me smile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Warning about Kewgreen Hotels Ltd in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock