Discuss Vermiculite loft insulation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Pickwickpick

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Not sure if this is right section of forum to post this, but I was up in customer's loft today and there was what looked like vermiculite (like sutff I use for gardening) up there as insulation. Was this a commonly done thing? Have never come across before now.

It definitely has been used. Seen it a couple of times and not for a while. Was some asbestos issue with it iirc... :confused:

Yes, my roofspace was originally done with it until replaced with fibreglass and I remember shovelling and brushing it up to put in bags to use for it for insulation mix around solid fuel built in boilers.
One point made to me about it is, - if you had a leak in roofspace, - the vermiculite would soak all the water up until it becomes very heavy and pull the ceilings down. :eek:

It definitely has been used. Seen it a couple of times and not for a while. Was some asbestos issue with it iirc... :confused:

Just been doing a bit of googling after you mentioning this. Looks like I might have opened a whole can of worms here (as often seems to be the case!). Sounds like with pre 1990s, which this probably is, there could be either asbestos contamination from the mines, and/or added asbestos fibres for insulation purposes :eek:

Looks like I now need to do some research into how/where to get this tested!

Don't think it's a very high level asbestos hazard, I remember pushing it around to access bits and peices and, strangely - playing with it - if you get hold of a lump and squeeze it, it's got a really interesting wierd spongy texture, it's a bit like popping bubble wrap... I've never worried about it as a hazard tho. If you're going back up into that customers loft space - dyodd :)

Yeh I love vermiculite, fascinating stuff, use to use it to grow mushrooms back when I had a bit more spare time.

What's dyodd?

Really good film. Made in Ireland (or set in ireland) see if you can pick a copy up on eBay or something worth the £2/£3 you will pay for it
It wasn't bad, though the whole premise (travelling a great distance to camp in a damp wood where there was a witch and let's pitch up near that creepy tree) was a bit clichéd and a bit far-fetched. "Alternative London" suggests that if you're going to take acid, do it somewhere nice.

Reply to Vermiculite loft insulation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back