Discuss Valiant 837..... my gas metre is racing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Foxyuk

hi guys i got a valiant 837 fitted last week all new pipework and radiators , At the moment the house has no carpets etc and i have it on in the morning ang night for an hour via a siemens wiresless remote.

i went in tonight and turned it on for 5 mins and watched the metre (last 3 digits) spin like a sprinter..... it actualy went up 1/2 a unit with that time

i have the new type metre and its dated 2009.... the house temperature was 12.5 and i turned it to 17.5 its a metric unit 1 metric unit is 11.05 kwh so in 5 mins used about 6kwh

where do i start because somethings not right????

can it be a fauly gas meter?
faulty boiler?

At present im staying at relations until the house is refurbed and my relations use 2 units a day gas and house is roasting ........

help!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
as the house is cold the boiler will be working at full rate. fire the boiler up, take a reading, time for 120 seconds take a second reading. deduct the first from the second to give an accurate result post the reading and someone will be able to tell you if this is a problem or not

ok thanks not at house till tomorrow am.... so u saying time 2 mins take reading then another 2 mins without touching then see if anything different? based on my calcs its 90kwh which totally not on ....

on a metric meter the gas rate is calculated based on the amount of gas used in a two minute period, this is with the appliance working at maximum.
you say it was only fitted last week, did the fitter not gas rate the appliance? if you have concerns give him a call

What are your meter readings?

ok here we go--- fitted 30/12 reading 8240
7/1 reading 8328 thats set 6.30am to 8.30am, 4.30 to 10pm

equates to 88 units in 8 days based on when took reading..... 11 units a day

8/1- 8331.375 and that was it on only 630am to 830am

since 8th its been on the setting to come on if falls below 5 degrees...... when i went uo today it was sitting at 8343.100 mind you wife was in for 20 mins last night and turned heating on and tep not fallen below 5 degrees

toinght i turned on at 6.03pm it was 8343.100 and by 6.08pm it was 8343.780

its now set back to kicking in if below 5 degrees

in the back of the instruction manual, there is a commisioning report.
what has the installer recorded for the gas in the entry?.

in the back of the instruction manual, there is a commisioning report.
what has the installer recorded for the gas in the entry?.

hi there its not filled in yet he is due out tomorrow to fit gas hob.... what do i need to be asking him too do?

I think there something dodgy going on. According to your last two readings there was a difference of 0.680m3 in 5 minutes, calculating this for 2 mins would be .272m3
HI would be 0.272 x 321 = 87kW, GR would be approx 8m3/hr therefore its double what you would expect from this boiler.
I would be on the phone to the installer. Check to see if the Benchmark (commissioning report) is filled in at the back of the manual (as Redsaw has said), if its not then get the installer back as he hasnt commissioned the appliance to the manufacturers instructions and your warranty would be void as the benchmark is required to validate it.

I think there something dodgy going on. According to your last two readings there was a difference of 0.680m3 in 5 minutes, calculating this for 2 mins would be .272m3
HI would be 0.272 x 321 = 87kW, GR would be approx 8m3/hr therefore its double what you would expect from this boiler.
I would be on the phone to the installer. Check to see if the Benchmark (commissioning report) is filled in at the back of the manual (as Redsaw has said), if its not then get the installer back as he hasnt commissioned the appliance to the manufacturers instructions and your warranty would be void as the benchmark is required to validate it.

just spoke to heating engineers he said there is no leak and boiler has been commisioned and checked out and hes still to fill in the paperwork.he said the boiler is a 37kwh so its impossible to burn more than that.......

i have contacted the gas network to check for a leak... then i will report the engineers commision report on here then it will be npower to check meter...

All i get is dont worry ..... i m worrying a full new systen and canny afford to turn it on

just spoke to heating engineers he said there is no leak and boiler has been commisioned and checked out and hes still to fill in the paperwork.he said the boiler is a 37kwh so its impossible to burn more than that.......

i have contacted the gas network to check for a leak... then i will report the engineers commision report on here then it will be npower to check meter...

All i get is dont worry ..... i m worrying a full new systen and canny afford to turn it on

What other gas appliances do you have in your home?

Just out of curiosity. I've been doing some maths

I would say the boiler is working at 26kw

Do you have a round dial on your meter. Looks a bit like a clock?

Just out of curiosity. I've been doing some maths

I would say the boiler is working at 26kw

Do you have a round dial on your meter. Looks a bit like a clock?

no mine was fitted in 2009 its large plastic thing with 8 numbers, 3 being after the decimal point

no mine was fitted in 2009 its large plastic thing with 8 numbers, 3 being after the decimal point
Can u do a gas rate check and we can calculate it for u?

Get a stopwatch, turn on the hot water tap, start the stop watch whilst noting the last 3 digits, then 120secs later note down the last 3 digits. It u get us they no.s then we can do the calc for u. This will give a correct gas rate reading. Basically it should be slightly less than the kw rating on the data badge. Is if 37kw boiler then it'll usually gas rate at between 32 and 36kw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Valiant 837..... my gas metre is racing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock