Search the forum,

Discuss Used the wrong grease for tap valves - contaminated water supply? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Oring

The old man' used marine grease (with anti corrosion chemicals and zinc oxide) on the mixer cartridge in the cloakroom tap when he should have used silicone grease (non toxic). He's been using the tap for a few hours and unscrewed it to wipe off the grease the silly man...told him to use non toxic silicone grease!

The feed is on the water inlet to the rest of the house.

I'm worried he has contaminated the drinking water to the rest of the house (dishwasher, shower and kitchen sink).

What can I do other than not drink it?

The safety sheet states it cause damage to the intestines if swallowed or irritation to skin! :bomb:

You are correct, but there's probably a lot worse than that has got into your mains water, tbh. Some of the fluxes used in soldering are very nasty. When a water mains bursts on the road, all sorts of contamination often gets in.
Just remove that cartridge & clean it off & flush any mains taps through.

You are correct, but there's probably a lot worse than that has got into your mains water, tbh. Some of the fluxes used in soldering are very nasty. When a water mains bursts on the road, all sorts of contamination often gets in.
Just remove that cartridge & clean it off & flush any mains taps through.

Thanks for the advice, have wiped and washed the cartridge and flushed the taps.
I think he used LM bearing grease in the bathroom...

You're right, lord knows what else has been in the water supply.

Drinking bottled water from now on...

bottled water contains more carcinogenic crud than any tap water being that all the plastic bottles can leach antimony and other nasties back into the water overtime. Just drink puddle water,you'll be fine

Just run it off for a day. Jebus the arse scratchers in water upto their knees smoking and refilling sthil saw in the trench arnt bothered when they are repairing mains.

I guess there are all sorts of crud in the water, e.g. found male frogs growing ovaries and other medications not filtered in the cleaning.

I just don't want my parents getting poisoned by using toxic grease or myself when visiting lol

Thanks for all the advice!

I guess there are all sorts of crud in the water, e.g. found male frogs growing ovaries and other medications not filtered in the cleaning.

I just don't want my parents getting poisoned by using toxic grease or myself when visiting lol

Thanks for all the advice!

If you were a kid in the 70's,and 80's mate,i am sure you will be immune to it....

Ok, took the tap to bits and gave it a good clean and flush.

Only problem is that the mixer cartridge fell to bits lol.

I've ordered a new 40 mm ceramic cartridge and with almost identical fitment (fingers X).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Used the wrong grease for tap valves - contaminated water supply? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock