Discuss TRV's on 'Return' side of rad. Are they are bi-directional from pic attached in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

samsg30

Hi,

I have got 14 radiators in total and three of them have got TRVs installed on the return side.

2 of them are downstairs which are not heating up too much as compared to all other radiators.

I went through balancing myself (have to do it again little better this time).

Could anyone please tell me from the pictures if these TRVs bi-directional and if not, then what issues would I expect?

Pictures are of save TRV from top, front and back to show arrows and markings. I have put 'R' sign myself so I know which ones are on 'Return'

trv3.jpg
trv2.jpg
trv1.jpg

With the valve fitted vertically, as in photo, it looks like it should be fitted on return. Arrow is pointing down, so it must be correct
Try turning most of other rads off to see if the two rads will work better. If they do improve then if system not dirty you might still have a balancing problem or TRVs are faulty, or perhaps circulating pump not working well enough. If you have a hot cylinder then it might need balanced.

Last edited:
With the valve fitted vertically, as in photo, it looks like it should be fitted on return. Arrow is pointing down, so it must be correct
Try turning most of other rads off to see if the two rads will work better. If they do improve then if system not dirty you might still have a balancing problem or TRVs are faulty, or perhaps circulating pump not working well enough. If you have a hot cylinder then it might need balanced.

Well I have got same TRVs installed on all radiators..but 3 in return and other in flow.

Also I had another look around radiators and TRVs and found that LSV has also got arrows ... some pointing upwards and some pointing downwards.. and to make issue worse... it has been installed in all combinations possible... e.g.

One radiator has got both TRV and LSV arrow downwards
One has got TRV arrow down but installed in flow and LSV arrow up but installed in Return
Another one got opposite of above.

So before I start getting worried and spend huge money getting 10 radiators corrected, can I know what implications, having incorrect return flow trv and Lsv could have on heating.

Although all these radiators I am mentioning are getting hot except downstairs one. Do I need to take any special care for balancing? lsv down.jpg

Reduced flow/efficiency, valves could be become noisy, possible balancing issues.
I would change any valves that are on the return.
Personally I would replace with new TRV's if going to bother.

Reduced flow/efficiency, valves could be become noisy, possible balancing issues.
I would change any valves that are on the return.
Personally I would replace with new TRV's if going to bother.

Like what he says!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to TRV's on 'Return' side of rad. Are they are bi-directional from pic attached in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I need to remove some radiators for redecorating and went to try and shut off the valves either side of my rad. I have TRV on one side and on...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the...
Replies
Views
Hi I am trying to fit a Hive Radiator valve into my existing TRV valve body to make them automatic so have bought a Hive valve to try it out. I...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your...
Replies
Views
Hi Just installed a vertical rad from plumbworld with a bi directional TRV which was installed on the return. The Trv seems to not do much so I...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock