Discuss transporter or transit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nat

Hi all,

I am going to get myself a van but am going a bit mad trying to decide what to get! I think I've narrowed it down to either transporter or transit. My budget is max £3.5k which gets you a pretty good transit or an older/more mileage transporter.

Would be grateful of any advice/thoughts on the above. Anything that could help me make up my mind would be great!

Cheers,

Nat

the transports is a great van (i have one), but i would go for a transit at that money because you will get newer/lower milage and slightly less maintenence costs. one warning is the locks on a transit are not great so extra i would get an alarm and deadlocks when you can afford it.

Transit is better IMHO
Transporters lovely vans but overpriced and transit better inside back fit in more

I've had on 04 transit and have an 06 transporter now. The transporter is nicer to drive, but for the money you have to spend I would go for the transit. Nothing ever went wrong with the one I had, nice to drive 100bhp one has a bit of grunt. Only thing I dont like is how bloody far the mirrors stick out.

Out of the 2 I would go for the transporter, they hold there money really really well but i'm sure the transit is also an excellent van. I guess at the end of the end just choose c arefully and dont buy a cained one.

Thanks for your responses. Looks like its gonna be a transit then. I was starting to think that anyway but you've helped me sway it beyond doubt. Was also looking at vitos but don't like the way they have sliding doors on both sides as you lose a lot of space to put racking.

dont want to be a pain in the rear but have you considered the vivaro, primastar and trafic? thats what I have?

I had a 53 plate transit connect and how have an 07 transit. Very happy with both and would buy another ford (but not from the same dealer). Loads of people like the transporter. Advice above, given the budget, seems good though. I think there'd be much more of a debate if the budget was around £7k upwards!

dont want to be a pain in the rear but have you considered the vivaro, primastar and trafic? thats what I have?

The vivaro was what I originally wanted but heard some negative reviews which put me off. I do like the look and size of them though. Do you rate yours?

transits are crap end of argument for 3 years we have owned a 03 plate swb 2.0 durotorq its rusting terrible,the diesel pump is failing,the gearbox is crap,second gear keeps jumping out it had 60k when we bought it now its on 111k,the engine is a 16 valve version of Peugeot hdi the same lump in my expert only with more valves in the transit you get 90 bhp which is quick enough for its size and it has a timing chain so no belts to worry about,in the expert being lighter you get 125 bhp,security on transits are gay if you know where to cut certain cables your in(this applies from 2000-2011 model years unless you fit a plate inside the rear door all your kit will get nicked this is a honest opinion from a ****ed off transhed owner if you buy one you will wish you bought something better and a vivaro is not better they are complete ****e,but if you do go for one even if the body work is pristine it will rust away within 2 years of you owning it and the diesel pump will die costing you big bucks

Maybe you just got unlucky. My transit was fine for the 2-3 years I had it. Done about 30,000 miles with no issues whatsoever.

I have a primastar and to b fair its excellent, the only thing which I have heard is that the turbos can go but if you get a decent one then your sorted. Loads of space, and if you get the 115bhp it has plenty of grunt. I was well lucky, I got mine with 70k and a full service but like anything, if it looks to good to be true it probs is. good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid just under 30k for a VW transporter Kombi 18 months ago, drives fantastic.

6 months ago had the ECU retuned, last month had new drive shafts, this week new steering rack.

Service required this week after only 13k miles. Supposed to be 18k or 2 years.

All after only 13k miles.

Depends how lucky you are, I had a Renault Trafic for 4 1/2 years, all it had in that time was a service.

Made sense at the time, 6 seats so the family can all fit in.

Tax and vat reclaimed.

Plus its very nice to drive. Nothing like a panel van with rattles ect, I know as I had a Transporter panel van this week as mine was broken.

It still makes sense tho as I have no need for a car myself, I used to run a family car, work van and a pick up for my weekend use. So I save the running and purchase costs of a 3rd vehicle.

IMAG0074.jpgIMAG0070.jpgIMAG0071.jpgIMAG0072.jpgIMAG0073.jpg
Hi all,

Just thought I'd update this thread as I got my van.

Decided on a transit in the end due to the fact that you can get a lot of van for your money and they are reliable and relatively cheap to fix. Went for a medium high top as i like the way you can stand in the back, masses of room and you can get a length of pipe in the top. Never thought I'd buy from a dealer but found this one and thought it seemed like a good deal - 2004, very clean inside and out, 125k but has full history from 40k from the dealer. Paid £3050 with brand new tax and MOT and new tyres.

Just spent today racking it all out and after working all day yesterday I'm knackered! Hardly a restful weekend and now back to work tomorrow. Pleased I got it all sorted though. Hope you guys managed to chill out a bit this weekend.

Nat

but it can still be broken into with a bread knife all they need to do is put it between the rear light and cut the loom that goe,s into the door

but it can still be broken into with a bread knife all they need to do is put it between the rear light and cut the loom that goe,s into the door

Really? That's worrying. Got it belled up and the tools are in a site safe bolted to the floor. Can you do anything about the doors?

with our transit we bought a bracket that protects the wiring i have looked on ebay and cant find it

[DLMURL="http://www.garrisonlocks.co.uk/details.asp?product=Ford%20Transit%20Wiring%20Loom%20Guard%20-%20Single%20Pack&cat=4&scat=0&scat1=0&scat2=0&g"]http://www.garrisonlocks.co.uk/details.asp?product=Ford%20Transit%20Wiring%20Loom%20Guard%20-%20Single%20Pack&cat=4&scat=0&scat1=0&scat2=0&g

t[/DLMURL]ry this but ask them if it will fit

if youve got your power tools in a lock up youll be ok most thieves are open grab and run anything more and they will not bother if they realy want them that bad theyll burgal the house for the keys
most of us probably dont but we should all take keys and mobiles etc to bed with us

[DLMURL="http://www.garrisonlocks.co.uk/details.asp?product=Ford%20Transit%20Wiring%20Loom%20Guard%20-%20Single%20Pack&cat=4&scat=0&scat1=0&scat2=0&gsearch"]http://www.garrisonlocks.co.uk/details.asp?product=Ford%20Transit%20Wiring%20Loom%20Guard%20-%20Single%20Pack&cat=4&scat=0&scat1=0&scat2=0&gsearch

t[/DLMURL]ry this one

[DLMURL]http://www.garrisonlocks.co.uk/details.asp?product=Ford%20Transit%20Wiring%20Loom%20Guard%20-%20Single%20Pack&cat=4&scat=0&scat1=0&scat2=0&gsearch[/DLMURL]

Ford Transit Van Rear Door Loom Guards for O/S & N/S | eBayopefully this one works though you only need the door that has the handle

What tuning did you have done? Improved power or MPG?

bhp and tork ....drives so much better now ,did 115m/ph last week on friday on the way home :) it is so much better to drive now
no more straggle up hill .

Did you dyno it to see what kind of bhp increase you got? I have a t30 130bhp model and the most I have had it up to is about 105mph, didnt feel like it had much left in it. It pulls nicely up hills though.

i chipped my rover 75 cdt and put a egr bypass in its gone from 115 bhp to 157 bhp what a difference it makes it throws you back in the seat now so not surprised this tech has moved on to vans

Dyno it ??? How can you tell what that have done in to now what is the bho now ?
I did have it done by REVO !
Will recommend it to every transporter owner !
It fills like new van to me !
at 115m/ph I got worried and took my foot of as it nearly reached 4k revs which is the red zone !
Myne is t28 102 bhp

I had transit sold it two years ago ! I had 04 plate one and started to rust from everywhere I was shocked ! Transporter is much better but it's expansive ! I am happy with my transporter is just if they could make cabin little bit bigger will be better !

Dyno it ??? How can you tell what that have done in to now what is the bho now ?
I did have it done by REVO !
Will recommend it to every transporter owner !
It fills like new van to me !
at 115m/ph I got worried and took my foot of as it nearly reached 4k revs which is the red zone !
Myne is t28 102 bhp

on a rolling road stan,the rover hits 130 and keeps going but i lose my nerve over that,on a private test track of course officer

I had transit sold it two years ago ! I had 04 plate one and started to rust from everywhere I was shocked ! Transporter is much better but it's expansive ! I am happy with my transporter is just if they could make cabin little bit bigger will be better !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to transporter or transit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone! Parents not used the boiler since 2013/2014, since installing a new wetroom for them they have now decided its worth getting the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a strange grating noise when the mains water is running in a property I'm looking after. It's a ground floor flat, with a first floor...
Replies
Views
Hello all, At the start of the year I had a 32 Ideal Vogue Max fitted and all was well, it's working fine. Problem is, I was getting floors done...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock