Search the forum,

Discuss Train 4 Trade Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: train4 trade skills new starter

Does anyone know where the training centres are?

Hi I want to be a plumber. i'm 24 and researching courses and have been doing train 4 trade plumbing course for few months. i'm doing really well in exams and enjoying it. But reading bad reviews. I thought it was guaranteed a top top after this. this course is expensive. i'm working full time at moment. after this course could I get apprentship as well as work full time if I don't get job after course as need more experience. whats my chances please or would you forget this plumbing dream. I was hoping to work for company for few weeks then go off on my own. I don't need to buy tools as I have some free with my course sois there anything else I need to know. it's sounds so easy doesn't it

Alright guys

I've also recently been looking into startin a plumbing course, i've just turned 21 and currently working in security, pretty much in the same boat as nick.

I've spoken to one of the representatives from T4TS, they seem pretty reliable but i've come across something that seems out of place already.
The fella claimed theres an extreme shortage of pumbers although this site claims otherwise - Fast Track Plumber Training - Beware

He also claims within about 14 months i'll have my NVQ lvl 3 and be a qualified plumber able to find my own work or work within a company, I'm a bit wary of this as it seems like a pretty short time in my opinion but i really have no idea anyway.

I'm really still interested in doing this, so if anyone knows anythin about T4TS and there reliability or whatsoever and could reply would be appreciated.

Regards, Marvin.

I'm also about to start a plumbing course with T4TS, although i'm beginning to have my doubts, is it a realistic course, would i be able to find decent work when i have completed the course, whether it be by myself or not and then gain my experience from there whilst still earnin a decent amount of money ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, Marvin.

First stop is to always check out the reputable "proper" colleges in your area. Fair enough the 6129 can be done fulltime but these colleges often offer it part time. At the college i attend, you can do the 6129 mes tech cert full time in 6month course or you can do it 1 day a week over 2 years. During that 2 years, the college have been helping the guys without work placements to get them and then get their 6089 nvq2 running alongside..

Obviously, the real colleges aren't offering fast track courses but i know from a lot of tradesmen around here they would ONLY employ guys from a reputable college. These fast track courses are really starting to get a bad rep.

To give you an idea, i have been plumbing fulltime for 3.5 years now, im finishing off my 2nd year of college and my nvq2. I still dont feel adequatley prepared to work totally self employed......so much to learn. Anyone can put in a new tap...but what do you do if thepipes are corroded, what if the tap doesnt run water once installed, what if the pipes dont reconnect......what im saying is there is so much more to it than the basic lego type plumbing they seem to teach at some of these fast track colleges.

sorry if i've gone on but if you check over this website, theres hundreds of complaints and concerns over these fast track courses yet i find it hard to find even one regarding a proper college

You should be asking the train 4 trade people these question, whats the point in spending all that money and now knowing whats around the corner.

how are you confused? it's more money on mt own. need to work wit company for bit for experience or even appreticeship, any chance of one of them? need as much info as poss please onthis

It's the few weeks bit. Surely you are not naive enough to think that you can get any worthwhile experience in just two weeks?

Being self employed is not the bed of roses that it's made out to be. I had 26 years of self employment and running the family business. I gave it up just over two years ago and have been at least £200 a week better off and a damn site less stressed since being employed.

If you can get a job it's worth sticking it out for a few years. If you can forge a good relationship with your employers you may find that they are willing to let you sub for them after you leave until you build up a customer base of your own.

Don't expect to walk out with a qualification and immediately start earning good money. Life isn't like that. I've seen a lot of students fresh from college start up on their own and seem to be doing really well until the reality of the overheads of running their own business bites. At least 50% have dropped out of the plumbing industry altogether disillusioned because they are not earning the big bucks they expected.

Mike

ok maybe few months then then go off on my own. I know it will be hardwork but I'm dedicated I will put every hour in. Or should I start self employed after finishing my course. what if company refuses to employ me or get apprenticeship. I find this plumbing quite easy so far so I won't be dropping out and I am looking forward to big money but I am gonna do a good job too. but i've read people won't employ anyone who done fast track, which worries me slightly all bad reviews of this course i've read

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have cancelled the agreement with t4ts.

I have had a long think about my best options.
I'm going to apply to work with a plumber on my days off around my current job without pay.

Try get some expirence under my belt.

Can anyone tell me what qualifications actually mean something in this industry????

I would of thought a few years with a plumber/company would be the minimun time served, the amount of problems you will occur being self employed, who are you going to turn to if you come across a problem you don't know how to sort?

You need to stop thinking about "big money" and more a career and you will always be learning new things. You need to think about tax and insurance if you are going to be self employed and that is a whole new ball game and very stressful if you dont get it right the first time.

whats chance getting appreniship then if nobody will employ me after fast track course. I can work full time job i'm at and do apprentiship in spare time and then go off when ready. I will hae free tools with this course so won't need to buy thing. I have car so don't need a van. won't cost alot to advertise. It should work maybe

Hey matey.

Best bet is to check out the IPHE or summitskills website.

Currently, no qualifications are required to work as a self employed plumber. However, compliance with the water regulations is mandatory.

There is discussion that over the next few years, regulations will be brought in that require all plumbers employed or self employed to be adequatley qualified. These regulations will be along the same lines as working with gas or electrics so im led to believe.

To work for an employer, it is currently expected you will have the NVQ 2 otherwise known as the C&G 6089 and the MES technical certificate otherwise known as the C&G 6129.

The C&G 6129 can be completed at college (either a fsat track expensive course or local college). There is no need to be employed to do this course and it teaches you alot of the practical skills required to carry out plumbing wiork and your NVQ2.

The NVQ2 is the qualification where you need to be employed in the industry. By gaining evidence at work and placing it in your nvq folder, you can prove your competent as a plumber and rach the NVQ2 standard.

The normal qualification process would be

do your c&g 6129 tech cert to gain the skills of a plumber

do your nvq2 if employed to show your a competent plumber.

After you have these quali's you can start looking at doing the lvl 3 versions of the above courses where on completion you can safely assume your a qualified plumber.......ofc not mentioning the wras course, the part p electical course and the unvented cert.

im really starting to think that that trainee doctos have it easy with their lil 7 year jaunt.

Paul,

Although there are free tools with this course (yes I am doing it myself just started) I doubt they alone will be enough as I have been doing DIY plumbing for a while and have tools not included in the free ones (also lets face there not free you paid for them with course fee's).I went into this course not expecting the "big Money" the sales man promises but with a mind that I can make a living at it.

As for the apprenticships thats a hard one, nowadays the apprenticship is almost dead. I can't see many plumbers employing anyone over 18 on an apprenticship as they will need to pay to much better having some 15 year old who can be payed **** wages and be a dogs body for three years and cut lose.

I would love to hear from plumbers about there thoughts on the course if I complete 2 years and have DIY plumbing experiance would they consider talking people like me on as a plumbers mate.

I do understand that doing these courses is no subsitute for one site knowladge but if people are saying there is no way to become a plumber unless you are time served, are they saying that every college or uni student can't become a real anything unless they done a 3 years apprenticship.

So in closing Paul do the course as a start into plumbing not into a start to print your own money job and all will be ok. This is more of a career.

Sonray Ltd I would love to hear from you if you would work with someone who had done a course and who had a lot of experiance dealing with the public and a small amount of DIY plumbing experiance i.e fitting bathrooms, Kitchen appliances sinks and fixing small problems ect.

Agree. Im doing the same course at the mo im on module 8. But the tools you get at the end 5% off what you need in you tool kit. Im working at the mo and with the money im earning, most of it is going on tools. Also you need a van. so im saveing.

Good luck on the course anyway

a van is a must people don't want to see you arrive in some old hatchback.
even when your sitting in traffic your out to advertise your company.
i run renault trafics and they are still to small for carrying plumbing, drainage tools. let alone parts etc.
you can get away with carrying alot of spares, but i sub contract to call centres at night and you have to carry 80% of general spares.

as for advertising can be £500 + just for a basic ad in the yellow pages let alone business cards, stationary etc.

john as you say dealing with customers and being able to communicate with them helps alot, keeping them informed on how the jobs going or not going all helps.

if you've done a course yes i would work with them if they where prepaired to listern & learn and not a know it all.
if they wanna learn, reliable, respect customers property, ask when your not sure on something etc.

Thanks very much for answering sonray its really good to get feedback from people who are already plumbers and it gives a good boost to keep going.

Hello all,
Ive just started the train 4 trade skills course. Yes the bloke came round and yes its a lot of money and yes they do sell it to you. Ive worked in sales for the past ten years repping so guess i knew the sales speel etc the thing that made me go with it is for one that i cant afford to stop working I hated college hated it with a passion i dont want to sit in college with however many more youngsters half of which will drop out and muck around. Dont get me wrong i dont expect to know everything about plumbing But i can say this. To all you guys out there who have finished the course and looking to start up on there own or find work keep going. Advertise advertise advertise!!!! brochures through doors. Both residential and commercial. Ive finished as a sales rep last week i sold photocopiers to coperate accounts the company cars gone with the phone and laptop etc. Great timing i know im working in a call centre now half the pay just taking calls getting by but hey the one thing i know is people buy people Thats my current trade! as well as good work remember if your a peoples person and three other guys put a quote in yeah they will look at price but also if they like YOU. Reading comments from plumbers who have been at it 32 years fair play to you. However We know it will be hard work. I know theres more to it than theory Ive worked with my dad whos a self emnployed OLD school landscape gardener, travelled Australia and worked as a brickies labourer in 39 degree heat try that. I could even lay bricks when id finished without learning the theory from the books !!! And yes im aware its not like a computer course. Remeber guys there are other countries crying out for skills. Well the point im getting at is fair enough make your point. But for gods sake encourage the people looking to come through. Remembver you were there once!! Take on board the advise guys but go with your gut feeling. My mate who used to work with me in sales is now fully qualified corgi Gas installer, self employed and doing well. Anything is possible if YOU want to do it and YOU keep at it. If it were that easy everyone would be a plumber. Chin up all you people on the course and keep focussed on what you want and GO get it. Im sorry if this seems forward to you guys out there giving good advice and encouragement. Just my opinion and the whole matter.

Ian,

Welcome to the t4ts, I started it myself I have completed the first 2 tma's both with passes. I too work in a call centre and totally agree with what your saying. Doing these courses is a start into plumbing and I am so looking forward to it. I have no doubt it will be hard work and it will not all go to plan all the time but what ever does.

I think we need a lot more encouragement on these pages but also I think we need more feedback both good and bad about t4ts.

Good to have you on board and I hope all goes well on your course.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont really care what other people have to say, iv been doing the T4TS course for mounths now. And i do know its gonna be my stepping stone into the plumbing world, So i dont care about all the nagative comments about plumbing course's these days. Yeah you get some really crap ones like the fast track course's. But i do have alot off faith in T4TS and i aint just saying that becasue im on the course im just saying there is alot off stuff to take in, This course is diffently not a walk in the park!!!

I'd just like to hear from someone who has passed with T4TS!

Good luck anyway johnmess and ian less1978

Thanks PlumberMicky

Have you been to any of the practial parts of the course yet no one seems to know what the accomadation is like.

Hi everyone
Am new to this & have been looking into courses for ages, have narrowed it down to either train4trades or met-uk, the feedback sounds pretty good for train 4 trades but has anyone got any feedback for met-uk at all? would be interested to know. Thanks & happy new year
wyng56

Hey everyone
I'm really interested in doing a plumbing course, i've been looking into this for about a year & am almost ready to decide which course to do. I'm torn between met uk & T4T - would anyone be able to vouch for met uk at all, if not the chance is i'll go with T4T. Interesting forum this, wish i'd seen it sooner, John you seem to have a good idea about this & i like sonrays response as a time served plumber.
Cheers

Hi wyng56,

I can't give any details about met uk just the t4ts although there saleman will try and sell you the course off the back of earn £100k per year blah blah I think these kind of courses are the only way for an adult to change into plumbing.

At the moment we are going through this credit crunch and supposdily there not much work but the t4ts course is 2 years so although you need to pay for it thats 2 years for the economy to get better.

I don't imagine plumbing will be an easy job with regular pay once I am on my own but if I wanted that I would just stick with my current job.

The best thing to do is think about what you want from the course, personally I wanted nvq level 3 and pick the one that suits your needs.

John

hi chaps new to the forum,joined t4t back in summer 2007 started with foundation city and guilds 6022-6032 and intermediate 6128 now upgraded to 6129. had the salesman sell it to me i bought it thought great off i go,then i started to read all the negative fall out about t4t and its not worth this and not worth that! fair enough everybodys deserves there opinion! well i thought stuff it iam in for the long haul,the books arrived so i started to soak up the knowledge and theory worked my way through the modules submitted tmas got good results,then decided to have a crack at the scenario 3d load of bollocks the cd froze up,but to be fair t4t did recognise there were problems so they swiftly despatched a replacement,but never did complete them,anyway the two weeks practical came up last year 2008 6022 6032 sanitary installation and water regs well what can i say excellent training facilities,accomodation is NOT provided but details are provided for local guest houses recomended by other students! the staff at the centre are all time served waterboard type blokes really friendly and you can have a good laugh with them but they deff know there trade not a stich up as some may think but very surprising considering what i was expecting it was well run proffesional set up! anyway passed that course certs were dispatched in the post along with BPEC water regs card, carried out the intermediate now completed theory just waiting to go on the two weeks pratical now,! a very good course ok its not going to get you a job but it gives you plenty of confidence to carry out plumbing work and puts you in good stead to run your own buisness and to those guys out there doing the course dont worry its very rewarding and you meet some bloody good blokes on the course and think glad i did it now!

Last edited by a moderator:
nimitz thanks for the info will help plan money needed for accomidation.

LM Ceramics you are absolutly right being time served or fast track is no garuntee you will get good or bad workmanship. It seems to me that more and more people don't take pride in there work.

When I had my central heating installed the guys wanted to run all the pipes including the gas pipe allong the skirting board and up the edge of my stairs !

I told him if he was not prepaird to do the job right (i.e put the pipe work under the floor) he could take his gear and , he was not pleased but he did do the job correctly.

Again I think this kind of thing comes down to pride. I for one would hate to have any customer call me back because I did not do the job correctly first time. Mistakes happen for sure but some of the trades men I have come across only want to complete the job asap and get paid.

I too an not worried about the competition as where ever I have woked I have gained a reputation for working hard and doing good work and I will carry that into any plumbing that I do. Word of mouth is a great way to gain work or to kill your buisness so these guys that are crap will in the end fail wether they are time served or not.

Hi Paul, I was interested to read your question about your Train4TradeSkills course. My son Luke was thinking of joining this course and I would be very interested in hearing more about your experiences of the course todate and also reading the poor reviews you have seen ... where did you see these reviews ? Cheers Peter

I'm halfway through the Train 4 trade skills course. I have learnt things but none of it seems very practical in terms of hands on learning. It seems that they charge you a few thousand, give you a couple of out of date theory books and an awful 3d scenario computer based learning program. Haven't gone to the 2 week practical part of the course yet but My advice is buy some theory books yourself and enter the exams. I try and get some experience where I can. I've installed a Toilet, outside tap, new waste for a basin and various bits and bobs but I get confused with all the City and guilds qualifications that you can get. I really want to be a self employed plumber but I am realising that this course will not be enough. I personally think its ok but NOT worth a few grand!!!! Has anyone got any advice for me? I'm 24, I work as a laborer for a country estate. They've officially taken me on as a trainee plumber but haven't really given me much training. I think they can see aswell that this course is not giving me enough knowledge to be able to go into plumbing anyone got any advice on which route to take?

Hi, to anyone interested in the Train4trade skills. I'm halfway through the course. Someone basically comes and sells you a dream. Sign on the dotted line and after this course ou'll be qualified to set up with a little van and be a plumber. They scare you by saying ' Lots of people end up in dead end jobs, now you don't want to be like that do you?' So I signed up. I got given a big theory book. Teaches you the basics. You fill in the assessment at the end of each module and then post it online. They send back your results using an automated marking service. If you think a rubbish theory book full of mistakes and spelling errors is worth a couple of grand then go for it!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm halfway though the course now as I've already said and I'm abit confused as to what my qualifications will count for at the end of the course and whether it will stand for anything in the eyes of an employer or a customer. Really feel cheated!!! But then again thats what most companies do. Pull the wool over your eyes then run off with your money.

Sorry but he's right. You can't expect to jump straight into being a plumber after this fast track course. I'm also 24 am half way through train4trade skills course and I'm a trainee plumber on a country estate the more plumbing I do in the reall world the more I realise this plumbing course counts for nothing much. My advice get employment with a plumbing company and stick it out for a good couple of years or more. Then re-assess whether you think you can go self-employed or not. If your determined and you cover all your bases theres no reason you can't be a success though.

Hope it works out for ya

Benfoord,

I am doing the t4ts and I fund the sales man the same but before he came to my door I knew for a fact he was full of ****, I decided to take on t4ts not because of the salesman but because I wanted a start into the plumbing industry.

There are so many courses so at the end of the day you got to take what you think will work for you.

Not only that I have agreed to the payment I will make sure I get my monies worth. There are mistakes but these are corrected on the site or you can call you tutor and he will help.

NVQ is a UK wide reconginsed qualification so there will be compaines out there that are happy you have it. The practical experiance is hard to come by when looking for a company to work with but thats a catch 22 thats been around for an age "can't get work if no experiance. can't get experiance if no job"

Re: Train 4 trade skills, help i may have made a big mistake.

Well it was from word ofmouth by someone doing the course that I contacted them! I'm currently a kitchen fitter and do my on plumbing etc but just would have liked a few bits of paper work to go with it :) I'll have to rethink how I go about this but cheers guys!

hey folks
just wondering if anyone has any feedback on the 3D software that T4Ts give you on their course, i know nimitz didn't sound to fussed by it, but i thought it looked good on the DVD. Can someone give me an idea if it's any good as due to join a course & want to know if this will sway it for me.
Much apprec plumb dudes =:)

Hi all!

I am a bit shocked to discover no accomodation is provided when you visit a training centre... you would think there would be when you pay that much for the course!
On their website the video speciffically states "the training centre will make the accomodation booking for you, so you don't even have to worry about those logistical details!" Naive of me, maybe, but I thought that would mean it was included in the cost of your course.
From T4TS's website they say " A new centre is soon to be opened in Luton to complement the existing facilities in Southampton Guildford and Leeds."
I'm in the midlands and that's a long way to travel :( Also how long will you be away for- anyone know?
You may have guessed I haven't signed up for it yet and can't wait for the rep to come (see what price they quote me as so many different ones are quoted on this site)!
Out of curiosity can everyone who has signed up tell me how much they have paid as we may be in for a bit of a surprise.
Cheers all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Train 4 Trade Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock