Discuss Towel warmer staying cold after working initially in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey everyone!

I have a towel warmer that used to work fine for a few months then all of the sudden stopped. As far as I can tell nothing has changed as in nobody fiddled with the balance of the radiators, the pressure in the combi boiler has been fine, etc.

So far I have tried:

• bleeding the towel warmer - water coming out straight away, no trapped air by the looks of it
  • bleeding out a few cups of water and topping up to the right pressure
  • turning off all the radiators except for the towel warmer and turning the heating on
  • checked the thermostat valve and the little metal knob inside moves fine when pressed down
  • the pressure in the system seems to be dropping after bleeding the towel warmer
  • the pipe leading to the thermostat valve does not feel warm at all
  • all the other radiators seem to be working absolutely fine

Is there anything else I could try? I am completely baffled as to why it stopped working all of the sudden and none of the above helped :(

20210128_175121.jpg

20210128_175125.jpg

20210128_175136.jpg

Undo the trv head eg the bit you adjust there should be a pin does this move in and out when you push it in

The right hand one is lock shield remove nut on front and underneath is is a brass valve with Allen key slot make sure it is out

As Gasmk1 said but count your anticlockwise turns, and put it back to same position all but 1/4 turn.
Or you could try just hitting it with a spanner a few times (not joking)

I tried unscrewing it so it's almost level with the top edge of the valve, but it didn't seem to make any difference :(

Also tried the spanner hitting option, no luck either.

20210129_111151.jpg

If lock shield is open then it’s most likely to be a stuck pin on the trv- remove the head and waggle the pin in and out a few times.

Ok if you tried all of that I think it’s time to take the rad off and flush/inspect it outside with a hosepipe.

Open valves and see if water flows out nicely.

Connect valves together and see if you get flow .

Then report back

Reply to Towel warmer staying cold after working initially in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the...
Replies
Views
I have a caravan with a brand new heating system.The Valliant combi boiler is working fine but one radiator and one towel rail are stone cold.I...
Replies
Views
I've recently replaced an immersion heater for a direct cylinder, for 2.75-3kW. The new one seemed to be working a week before I got a callback. I...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, About a year ago we moved into a new property which has a towel heater as part of the Central Heating System. There are no...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock