Discuss Toilet Tank Leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to visit a friend who's quite ill last night and he's been putting up with a loud constant dripping noise for years. He keeps the bathroom door closed so it's not so bad until you open it and then it's really loud! It drips all the way down into a large bucket and then echoes everywhere. So I asked him if he's ever called the landlord to sort it out. He lives in a housing association and they're pretty useless. He calls them out occasionally when the leak gets impossible to manage or something. They change a part and then the leak returns again after a couple of months. He lives in a block of flats at the end and says that the water pressure builds up so his pressure is at the max. The water is leaking through the rubber washer around the handle on the front of the tank (top left) which is worn and no longer sealing the gap. I opened the lid of the tank and he said he thinks the water level should be lower. The water is level with the handle which is why it is leaking and has worn the washer off over time. I suggested replacing the handle and lever arm etc but, as he says, that's only another temporary solution as would be my original idea of squirting silicone around the washer. Any suggestions would be helpful even if we can't fix it but simply pass the info on to his housing association so they have no excuse next time. Cheers.

I understand your concern for your friend but you need to call the HA, it's not down to you to repair and if you cause damage you or your friend will be liable for the cost.

If the pressure is that high then they could fit a pressure reducing valve on the incoming main, but again I would recommend they do it.

Yes, the water level is usually lower than the handle.

What can you see under the lid? it is usually adjustable. Take a picture if you can

Thanks. I can take a photo next time I'm round there. I'll try to go soon. What is adjustable though? The water level? If that's the case then yeah perhaps it's doable.

As for the housing association yeah that's what I was saying. At least he can tell them what needs to be done as they seem to be getting it wrong each time or not doing enough to fix the problem.

They probably keep replacing the handle washer, they either need to adjust the water level or replace the fill valve completely, both quite simple jobs for a plumber

Excuse my ignorance but I'm not totally sure what that means. If cistern is another name for the tank well there is actually a hole/pipe inside somewhere I remember that could be an overflow. But then again it might not be otherwise it would be lowering the water level. It might be too high up for that. I can't remember.

U need to fit a new washer to the ballcock . Don't cover in silicone as this only hides the problem.

OK I finally managed to find my friend at home and took a couple of pictures. I can't see a washer on the ballcock anywhere. Anyway, I hope these help.

kev 01.jpg
kev (2).jpg

Needs a new side entry fill valve, don't worry about re-washering that thing!

+1 for the cost of them these days and try and get a brass one will last longer

For real? OK I can find one of those on ebay but how can you tell? I'm assuming that's the thing on the left not the outlet on the right? Is it easy enough to remove the old one and replace it? I won't flood the flat I hope?! Cheers.

Push a rod through the hole on the right hand side. This is the overflow, and should be clear.
It should also lower the water level below the flush lever hole.
The rubber washer in these valves tends to harden after 3 years, probably Chinese rubber.
As above, it is the Housing Association problem and flat below could be damaged.

I worked social housing contracts. Get you mate to call landlord and say he'll report it as waste of water to the water undertaker which is covered under the water regs if they don't come a fix it properly asap. If there is a history on his tenant file of previous repair they will like authorise a new cistern at best.
Otherwise, the existing float looks like it needs to be turned downwards, you can alter this on some. If not get a new float valve and set water level to the fill line on the inside of the cistern, if its water pressure that keeps causing issue then a PRV needs to be fitted.

Save yourself a headache and any come backs, just report to HA ;)

Last edited:
OK cool thanks for the info. I'll try to get a letter together he can send to them to show that he knows what the problem is and what they need to do to fix it.

Housing Association may be an exception. But normally selling customers inlet valves, syphons and taps etc with your mark up on top constitutes a good third of the money to be made on small jobs. It's what makes the run around worth it. It's part of the price for quick attention to little jobs. And take it from someone who does this exclusively, people are happy to pay it and will have you back.

If you've got the washers out and you're not doing good deeds for regulars or needy OAPS, you're being a busy fool.

Tell them fixing these things is sadly a thing of the past, explain guarantees cannot be offered on repairs, sigh and commiserate with them over the preposterously short lifespan of parts these days. But recommend new anyway. You labour charge constitutes the bulk of the cost, why should they then skimp on favouring repair over replacement.

Tap revivers if it's clearly a gunked valve on a contract tap, yeah. Diaphragm on a 3 part syphon, yeah. Anything else: New, new, new. Shiny and chrome.

"oh wow, looks great. thanks. althought that new tap makes my sink look old come to think of it. can you quote me a new one?"

"yes. yes i can"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet Tank Leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The pipework around the hot water tank in the airing cupboard has developed several leaks after a chemical flush. It's an open vented system...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock