Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet smell head scratcher!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan the plumber

Afternoon all,

I'm currently on a job where a "plumber" (basically DIY jobsworth friend of friend of the family!) has taken almost £15k from the customer for 2 of the worst bathroom refurbs I have seen!

I explained to the customer the only way to make them look better is to rip them out and start again but she is about to put the house on the market hence just literally wants them functional.

In the en-suite bathroom the jobsworth has installed a concealed cistern vanity unit toilet & basin. The problem is from this particular toilet, foul smells are coming back into the bathroom.
The house in question is a 5 bed detached & the stack is roughly 6 mtrs away from the en-suite. All is ok with the stack externally & is vented as it should be.
The smell is almost as though the water is stagnant, even when flushed numerous times! I have checked water seals in basin & shower after the toilet has been flushed but all is ok there and smell is deffo coming from the toilet!

The en-suite has been functional for years before he did the refit and the customer has never had a problem with smells before this!

Im thinking along the lines of to install an internal air admittance valve into the toilet waste pipe but thought I'd get a few opinions before I do this as not 100% convinced this will rectify the problem!?

Any opinions/thoughts/ideas!?

It sounds like the pan connectors isn't sealed into the soil stack, the only option is to remove and investigate really

Hi mate, remove toilet pan earlier this afternoon as wasn't even fixed to the floor! Pan Connector is a flexi but all looks to be ok here!

It's a strange one to be honest as it's almost as though the smell is being caused by the water in the pan as pretty much is a constant smell!

I know you said it's vented correctly, but there's not a faulty Aav stuck behind the vanity unit if it's a longish run?

No aav and never has been one...it's only since they changed the toilet that this smell appeared! He fitted the exact same toilet in the main bathroom & that appeares to be ok regarding smells (still didn't fix to floor though!).

The en-suite is very rarely used to be honest but still the smell is there! The smell gets more prominent when the toilet is flushed & it appears to be coming from within the pan as opposed to behind/pan connector!

He fitted the exact same toilet in the main bathroom & that appeares to be ok regarding smells (still didn't fix to floor though!).

I`ve swopped toilets over in the past to prove my point to the customer.

What you reckon to installing an AAV? I'm a little reluctant to put one in unless I really have to due the where he has positioned the vanity units.....it could be opening a huge can of worms!

Spent the rest of the afternoon removing grout where sealant should be! The idiot had only grouted between the tray & tile....not a bit of sealant in sight! The customer said it leaks when she uses the shower......hmmmmm you don't say :32:

As rpm said, if the toilets are the same then swap them round to check that the pan isn't faulty and In the mean time you can fix the toilet to the floor

It will eliminate the pan as the cause before you start buying and adding stuff and only take a few minutes.

As rpm said, if the toilets are the same then swap them round to check that the pan isn't faulty and In the mean time you can fix the toilet to the floor

That`s a bad echo you`ve got there mate. lol

I can't see how fitting an aav is going to stop the smell unless you think there are traps being sucked. Have you pressure tested the pans and stack? As much as you might think it's the smell of stagnant water its the smell of the sewer, which is why it gets worse when the pan is flushed because it stirs up the gassed down there. If you pressure test it you will know that the stack and pan connector and pan are sealed properly. If it doesn't pass the pressure drop test then one of the 3 is either faulty or not sealed to the other correctly.

Hi there I've had this just the other week customer had bought a pan and cistern off the Internet and in the casting was a small tube that went between where the cistern sits and the pan on the exit side.
Swapped pan and job done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet smell head scratcher!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock