Search the forum,

Discuss tile keeps slipping! in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

hi all

i was attempting to install the tiles today on the wall. if you look at the photo, i started at the pipe work as that was the most intricate. problem is, it kept slipping an inch, very frustrating. in the end i gave up and manged to save the adhesive (ready mix) I'm betting its something simple I've overlooked. how do i stop it slipping?

thanks

Attachments

• sower.jpg
    sower.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 27
Wall doesn’t look like it’s prepped correctly and reckon tiles could not stick altogether anyway. If you’re tiling an unsupported tile then usually a timber batten fixed to the wall to keep them in place until you’re ready for the next course.

Wall doesn’t look like it’s prepped correctly and reckon tiles could not stick altogether anyway. If you’re tiling an unsupported tile then usually a timber batten fixed to the wall to keep them in place until you’re ready for the next course.
thanks for your response. what prep would you add? i would have liked to add a tile backer board, but 6mm is too thick and by the time i add adhesive, the tiles would be proud against the rest of the existing tiles

Slipping your working from the bottom up arnt you with spacers etc and enough addy ?

Seems like the wall is not well-prepped.
First, use a flat scrap of wood to even and smoothen out the surface and let this dry for a few hours or overnight. Once the cement is dry, apply the bonding agent that should give the surface a rough texture to ensure vertical tiles don't slide as you work.

hi all, thanks for above. i have roughly 20mm to fill (the tile is 5mm thickness leaving 15mm) i can't get hold of 4mm tile backerboards. taking in the advice above, i was thinking of adding thickness to the wall using rapid set cement mix. what is the maximum thickness of adhesive to use? based on sundays attempt it seems like a lot of adhesive to use, unless that doesn't matter.

what do you think?

You need to get some tile backer board I'm afraid to build out the wall 10 mm is the maximum for adhesive, ready mixed is not suitable you need flexible bagged tile adhesive , and tile from the tray upwards or you'll be fighting it all the way.

Attachments

• IMG_20220117_163029832.jpg
    IMG_20220117_163029832.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 8
You need to get some tile backer board I'm afraid to build out the wall 10 mm is the maximum for adhesive, ready mixed is not suitable you need flexible bagged tile adhesive , and tile from the tray upwards or you'll be fighting it all the way.
thanks for your response. i can't use tile backer boards. the one i had was 6mm. by the time i put the adhesive on, the tiles would stand proud. i can't find any 4mm near me, hence i thought i could skim the wall and add some mm's to it. nice tiling!

You could skim it in tile addy and let that dry first eg half the gap / distance

Depends I’m guessing your using pre mixed addy which takes ages to dry if it thick hence why splitting into two etc

Wouldn’t need a batton just work from the bottom up and use spacers

If you really want to tile onto that prime the area first and add a skim of tile adhesive as you would plaster let that dry first before attempting to finish the project, working from the bottom using spacers allow it to dry before grouting and finally siliconing up . Kop

hi Shaun, what is the difference if i just use tile adhesive to fill the MM's added the tile and used the batten approach vs your approach? does your approach create a stronger foundation?
Yes it is and drying time is quicker premixed adhesive does not dry very quickly and you will trap that moisture in the wall causing possible failure, use bagged flexible adhesive and follow the directions on the bag drying time is very important for a successful job . Kop

thanks guys i will use bagged adhesive. i'm finishing work early tomorrow, will pick some up and make a start.

yes the wall was already primed with SBR

should i get the rapid set adhesive, or it does not matter too much?

with bagged adhesive should i still follow Shaun's advice of creating a skim layer first? if so, how long should i leave to dry out before tiling? overnight? 24 hours?

hi Shaun, no i wanted to tile around the pipe work first, as that is the intricate part. once i had got that done, it would set up the rest nicely....well, thats what i thought..
Irrespective of what you need to fill and level up the wall you need to start from the bottom and work up. It's only appears to be two tile widths so with enough care when you batton the base tile you shouldn't go too far wrong.

hi all, i wanted to give you an update. i've skimmed the wall with tile adhesive. im using Mapei fast set adhesive.

thing is when i mixed it according to the instructions, it was runny, which i thickened up with more adhesive. it looked like cement mix, is spread nicely on the wall though, smooth. looking ahead, what should the consistency be for sticking the tiles. i thought it would be more thicker and and creamier

thanks

Around double cream consistency tbh it’s upto you some like it stiffer for walls than floors etc

Reply to tile keeps slipping! in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock