Search the forum,

Discuss thinking of packing it in ! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

on31ll

thinking of packing in plumbing and finding somthing else ! im a tradesman and although a "baby" i know i am a tradesman at heart working with my hands but you cant make money from this anymore ! and it just gets worse and worse ! while prices go down and down the fees and crap you have to belong to just goes up and up ! its not even enjoyable anymore ! ive been doing plumbing since i was 14-15 learnt hard way and sent myself to college etc. but its just crap now ! cant afford to get my gas really and all i seem to be doing is giving work to a gas lad and making nothing off him and hes a top bellend, dont start me on that ***** ! but even the gas work has stopped coming in ! ive done 7 quotes past 2 weeks for big jobs like unvented installs etc and they have all said yer deffo thats what we want but we need a few months to save up cash ! its a joke !

ive even started looking into office jobs ! thats not me atall !

cheers lads rant over !

p.s if i do pack it in do i have to give up my pub membership ?

i feel like this everyday but keep plugging on its no where near as good as it use to be and the trade is full of urseholes,

I would keep plugging away imho if i was you or if you get gas works ask one of the guys on here,

I must admit i still want to work with pipes but looking at other avenues now

keep at it mate, things will get better, thing is, people felt better off end of last year, beginning of this, and now they are all thinking, god I spent too much. things will pick up in 2015, just hold out until then

i feel like this everyday but keep plugging on its no where near as good as it use to be and the trade is full of urseholes,

I would keep plugging away imho if i was you or if you get gas works ask one of the guys on here,

I must admit i still want to work with pipes but looking at other avenues now

yer id never take anything of one of the lads doing gas though if you get me like make anything off the top because there not making as much as they want and you cant add more because then the customer sees their bum !

Use to do alot of mechanical fiiting (been a while tho) got one eye on these nuclear power stations as already Hp qualified

Feel your pain!

On a project with my brother at the minute, basically whole house refurb with extension. Doing a bit of everything which is great but clients father is a first class space cadet! Retired MD for Barratt homes in the south west apparently so he thinks he knows the renovation game inside out! The blokes made so many balls ups its unreal! He watches over us like nobody's business. We've told him several times to do one. I walked off site last Thursday & told him he better sort himself out or he'll be left with a half finished house! Tuesday - fine, yesterday - not great, today - nightmare.

It's times like this you really do feel like saying that's it. No more. I'm off. Find something new.

But just stop before you do that & just think how far you've come! Like you said, it's been years for you in this game. Don't give up now!!

Feel your pain!

On a project with my brother at the minute, basically whole house refurb with extension. Doing a bit of everything which is great but clients father is a first class space cadet! Retired MD for Barratt homes in the south west apparently so he thinks he knows the renovation game inside out! The blokes made so many balls ups its unreal! He watches over us like nobody's business. We've told him several times to do one. I walked off site last Thursday & told him he better sort himself out or he'll be left with a half finished house! Tuesday - fine, yesterday - not great, today - nightmare.

It's times like this you really do feel like saying that's it. No more. I'm off. Find something new.

But just stop before you do that & just think how far you've come! Like you said, it's been years for you in this game. Don't give up now!!

its strange really like i love plumbing i really do i enjoy the more commercial stuff since being involved init but i have seen the hype on this work and everyone thinking its a saviour and jumping to commercial so i can forsee it taking a further dive than it already has ! croppie and other can prob comment in this.

every minute im on the computer or i get bored im on my phone looking or reading plumbing things ! but i just cant see this industry picking up much ! and im starting to hate it ! every obsiticale that could happen always happens to me !

All the best, like others have said i feel like that a lot. There's still money to be made, although not Ferrari money. But it's out there, experience, confidence and good customer relations. It all takes time to build though.
And you should take something of your Gas fella, if I recommend a tradesman I expect something in return. Favours as in a good price for a job in my own home or for him to recommend me. My roofer who does my awkward vertical flues does my jobs cheap because he knows I recommend him to my customers.

All the best, like others have said i feel like that a lot. There's still money to be made, although not Ferrari money. But it's out there, experience, confidence and good customer relations. It all takes time to build though.
And you should take something of your Gas fella, if I recommend a tradesman I expect something in return. Favours as in a good price for a job in my own home or for him to recommend me. My roofer who does my awkward vertical flues does my jobs cheap because he knows I recommend him to my customers.

ha ha the lad i was using wanted to charge 70 to reinstall a hob ok which is fair do's except wanted me to go round first and cut counter top out and sit the hob in so all he had to so was tighten the elbow ! for me to make nothing off him ! other things to but just a **** take !

I decided not to bother renewing my gas because EVERYONE is doing it now. Don't know how many of my customers have called and sounded almost apologetic because they; "only have a small plumbing job and I understand that you're probably too busy with bigger jobs but could you do it?"

People think there's a shortage of plumbers because everyone advertises themselves more as gas fitters and presume because of this they're all mad busy making mega bucks to go and do a silly little job like change a pair of taps, do a bathroom swap, fix the toilet etc.

Everyone knows I'm there for them no matter how small the job. I'm doing alright out of them while the gas fitters fight over work.

I decided not to bother renewing my gas because EVERYONE is doing it now. Don't know how many of my customers have called and sounded almost apologetic because they; "only have a small plumbing job and I understand that you're probably too busy with bigger jobs but could you do it?"

People think there's a shortage of plumbers because everyone advertises themselves more as gas fitters and presume because of this they're all mad busy making mega bucks to go and do a silly little job like change a pair of taps, do a bathroom swap, fix the toilet etc.

Everyone knows I'm there for them no matter how small the job. I'm doing alright out of them while the gas fitters fight over work.

im short on domestic work but not short on the shopfitting etc but that moneys crap ! and you gotta wait 90 days

Feel your pain!

Aint called steve mace is he

im short on domestic work but not short on the shopfitting etc but that moneys crap ! and you gotta wait 90 days
I saw a gap in the market but to fill that gap I needed to step back down to the general, more traditional role of a plumber. When people call me they know they're speaking to a plumber - with no bells and whistles attached.

I see other 'plumbing & heating engineers' in my area but no longer see them as competition because I'm (hate this saying...) just a plumber.

gas work (domestic installation) imo has never been a higher paid job than plumbing, everywhere ive worked its been equal or less really.

I hardly do any plumbing, haven't done a bathroom for ten years plus. Everything plumbing goes to my dad. I'm the opposite and customers call me to recommend a plumber or for gas work.

I saw a gap in the market but to fill that gap I needed to step back down to the general, more traditional role of a plumber. When people call me they know they're speaking to a plumber - with no bells and whistles attached.

I see other 'plumbing & heating engineers' in my area but no longer see them as competition because I'm (hate this saying...) just a plumber.

i think it helps because liverpool is bigger ! over here you walk in even the smallest of merchants and there 50 sets of business cards on the table !

gas work (domestic installation) imo has never been a higher paid job than plumbing, everywhere ive worked its been equal or less really.

a few months back i was giving away 3-4 jobs a day on gas ! so say ÂŁ60-ÂŁ70 a job it adds up !

yer why you say ?

You have to be clever with your charging, emergencies and small jobs are where you can charge. Be up front about it, you know what it costs to run a business. Never feel guilty for making a good wage. Because that's what you can get.

i think it helps because liverpool is bigger ! over here you walk in even the smallest of merchants and there 50 sets of business cards on the table !
Your area is part of my work area, so much so that I'm considering getting one of those annual Mersey Tunnel passes. ;)

Ha ha you stepping on my toes ! Tredding on my turth here ! Its war !!!!!

Nah all good for you pal ! You will save money with tunnel pass !

Ha ha you stepping on my toes ! Tredding on my turth here ! Its war !!!!!

Nah all good for you pal ! You will save money with tunnel pass !

I did your mum's taps last week.

shopfitting business is our family's forte'

the money is in refridgeration engineering anual testing ;)

shopfitting business is our family's forte'

the money is in refridgeration engineering anual testing ;)

What type of stuff you shopfitting ?

Im actually just looking into becoming approved meter installer ! Set up a business suppling meters and new connections ! Have a few lads ? Keep it simple but run well ! I could get the deal to supply every nandos with a new meter that would be a start !

Where abouts round my ways have you been working keefy baby ? Not assed like just seeing if i can give you any insider info ?

Funny you say that the washer has gone in her kitchen tap ! So if you did do it get back here to cowboy ! Or im sending purple aki to burts your asshole ! Again !!!
Mustn't be your mum after all, these had ceramic discs. :uhoh2:

So you still thinking of packing it all in and becoming a desk jockey or something? I bet you're still here in 10 years time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to thinking of packing it in ! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks ok to me.....sound but the bowl has seen a lot of work. So she wants a new one...Astracast it seems are no more. The problem is its size.....looked...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock