Search the forum,

Discuss The dreaded alkathene in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

townfanjon

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
ehup peeps , anybody know where I can get hold of a mains alkathene fitting to copper and liner .
No local merchants stock them the last one I needed got posted from Northern Island , but it was years ago .
Had a quick look on BES and cant find any.
Down to a bad experience with a philimac type fitting I am reluctant to use another but realise I may have to .
Thanks in advance

Size ?

22mm coupling and a imperial olive

Or one of these?

990E21DC-9782-4D48-AC3A-0221AACF5EEF.png

Looks like a philimac type fitting , one blew off on Friday night so I am not keen on using one , ok a rarity I know .

Are you saying that one of these:

20mm MDPE x 15mm Speedfit/Copper Pushfit Adaptor

is no good because your 20mm Alkathene is really the old imperial stuff? If so, I think that 'Polygrip' is the brand you want. See for example:

Philmac & Polygrip Pipe Fittings - R J Pryce - Plumbing, Builders Merchant & Ironmongery

who seems to have a big range.

Last edited:
This any good to you Town
ehup peeps , anybody know where I can get hold of a mains alkathene fitting to copper and liner .
No local merchants stock them the last one I needed got posted from Northern Island , but it was years ago .
Had a quick look on BES and cant find any.
Down to a bad experience with a philimac type fitting I am reluctant to use another but realise I may have to .
Thanks in advance
RJ pryces in lowestoft they will have one do online bud I bought one recently , and the 3/4" as well to make sure got that on the van only other fitting I have is a 1/2" gunmetal stopcock brand new has 20 on the nut welcome to that if it gets you out of a muddle PM me cheers. kop

15487954910399070644942635641894.jpg

Last edited:
This any good to you Town

RJ pryces in lowestoft they will have one do online bud I bought one recently , and the 3/4" as well to make sure got that on the van only other fitting I have is a 1/2" gunmetal stopcock brand new has 20 on the nut welcome to that if it gets you out of a muddle PM me cheers. kop

View attachment 36682
I was thinking about the same brand though. Perhaps there is something on here Wade Imperial Copper Pipe Fittings - R J Pryce - Plumbing, Builders Merchant & Ironmongery

I have some ‘new’ fittings and inserts (been new left over spares had for years) and will take a look tomorrow for you.
If I have it, I can post you it.

I've done it three times, using a fair bit of PTFE, and 15mm as a pipe insert. But was my pipe same the diameter as yours?

Have you put a vernier around the pipe so you can tell the exact diameter?

Yep measures 21mm so should be able to sort something from Mr Kopsta’s merchants.

Reply to The dreaded alkathene in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello guys, first post here. While I prefer copper-and-solder, I've used compression fittings successfully in the past, and I opted for compression throughout the present job because I'm tight for space. I got most of the fittings from the local Toolstation. They're standard 15mm equal tees...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I am hoping someone can give me some advice. We have had two leaks at home in the last 2 weeks; luckily we were in for both events and managed to get the water turned off pretty quickly so it is not a massive catastrophe. Both times, a fitting popped off a pipe about 15 minutes after...
Replies
Views
Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter put an isolation valve on the pipe work for this :-(, the copper pipe comes up from a plastic pipe push fit. See photo. I did a tissue paper test and...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution I could see. I'm in Brisbane, Australia but I'm after general ideas from anyone here or in UK (I realise this is a UK based site). Point form...
Replies
Views
I have a problem with an old stopcock (40 years?) fitted on the old alkathene supply pipe. This is in a property owned by an elderly friend and the stopcock has been leaking from the spindle for many months. Despite several attempts to pack out the gland with PTFE the valve continues to leak. My...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock