Search the forum,

Discuss Testing for inhibitor. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Masey

Gas Engineer
On a job this morning the customer was adamant that the gas engineer did not put back any X100 that she was charged for. 2 bottles worth as its a big system. I checked the F&E tank for stickers and also the boiler but didn't see any evidence that its in there. Any other way I can check?? I there a way I can test the water in the system?

Thanks.

Sentinel do a test kit. It contains little strips like litmus paper.

Sentinel do a double pill test, which is about 3 quid. Changes the colour yellow for a pass, should be worth the investment.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371668951.265145.jpg I use these like mikes said

do those still work BOD? I had a pack but they went out of date and I haven't touched them since.

Just not sure on how accurate these things are. It might pick up a bit of the older inhibitor that left in the system. I guess she should of asked to see the bottles or watched the engineer put it into the system.

inhibitor is inhibitor i buy the cheep gear its about a 5er a tub chuck 2 or 3 bottles in job done

Not meaning to belittle another man's business practice but by the time you've paid £15 for what is most likely 3 tubs of ****, you could have bought one bottle of Sentinel or Fernox for about £12 and done the job properly?

I can see your reasoning, but using the cheaper stuff doesn't mean your not doing a proper job.

Nowt wrong with the cheaper stuff. Inhibitor's inhibitor after all. The cheaper stuff's probably made by same people as Fernox or Sentinel.

But I wouldn't just shot 2 or 3 bottles in just to make sure. I'd dose it accordingly.

is it possible to put in too much inhibitor? what would happen? X100 says 1litre bottle for 10 rads. a house with 15 rads, would 2 bottles be too much??

I said 2 or 3 bottles as he said its a very large system the inhibitor I use says its not over doseable so add as much as you like, so if I am filling a system of say 150 200 litters I will always put three tubs in rather than the 100 litters per tub minimum dosage they recommend it wont harm anything

personally I have used both branded and the cheaper inhibitor and after 2 or 3 years not noticed a difference when draining down for more works ect and when I first started working for my self I had half full tubs every where but once I read that it can not be overdoes I just ensure there is more than enough in maybe its classed as lazy in some of your eyes not working it our properly but I don't seem to have a problem with it if I was using the 15 pound a chuck gear I might be a bit more accurate but I don't as I don't see the benefit apart from with the customers who want a sentinel sticker on there boiler

personally I have used both branded and the cheaper inhibitor and after 2 or 3 years not noticed a difference when draining down for more works ect and when I first started working for my self I had half full tubs every where but once I read that it can not be overdoes I just ensure there is more than enough in maybe its classed as lazy in some of your eyes not working it our properly but I don't seem to have a problem with it if I was using the 15 pound a chuck gear I might be a bit more accurate but I don't as I don't see the benefit apart from with the customers who want a sentinel sticker on there boiler

dunno if that made sense??

I used to use branded inhibitors when working for customers but when doing work for friends and family I used the cheep stuf when draining down 2 or 3 years down the line to do more work I didn't notice a difference between the expensive and cheep inhibitor systems when I first started working for my self I would use say 1 and a half tubs as I didn't think it would require a full 2 but after a while I ended up having half tubs all-over the place as they say they are not over doasble it wont cause a problem putting more in if I went back to using the expensive inhibitors I might use 1 and a half bottles rather than just chucking 2 in but I have never had a customer that has insisted on a make of inhibitor or cleanser to date there are some that like the sentinel or fernox sticker but I allways put the sticker off the bottles I have used on and leave one of my lables with my contact details on

that's something I didn't know I assumed as long as it had at least the minimum dosage in it was ok

manufacturers usually recommend brand names e.g fernox or sentinal probably those reps contact the usualls and it gets down as a recommend .
also can imagine its another get out clause for them as well

manufacturers usually recommend brand names e.g fernox or sentinal probably those reps contact the usualls and it gets down as a recommend .
also can imagine its another get out clause for them as well

Never seen that. It's getting a bit like 'whirlpool recommend ariel' :)

Also recommended doesn't matter, it will all change if they start saying 'required'.

Im sure you young uns will call me an old fuddy duddy but if you read your manuals from time to time you'll see that the boiler manufacturers use it as a get out of jail card. If an appliance fails, particularly for a sludge related issue, the first thing they will do on an extended warranty is test for Fernox/Sentinel and when it comes back a fail, get ready for the bill Mrs homeowner. Its personal preference, but I just don't see the advantage of saving £5 on what is over £1000 worth of work. http://www.baxi.co.uk/docs/Baxi_Combi_Instant_HE_Installation_and_Servicing_Instructions.pdf

they all quote the bs number for inhibitors but but baxi only reccommends 2 makes, so if your inhibitor is made to the bs stated you can use it, as thats what they have told you to comply with, the fact they only reccommend 2 makes is irrelevant, bit like ford telling you they reccommend esso fuels, but they cant force you too, as other companies seem to be able to provide a similar item quite adequately.

Supposedly the "good" ones have a Buildcert logo on.

Im sure you young uns will call me an old fuddy duddy but if you read your manuals from time to time you'll see that the boiler manufacturers use it as a get out of jail card. If an appliance fails, particularly for a sludge related issue, the first thing they will do on an extended warranty is test for Fernox/Sentinel and when it comes back a fail, get ready for the bill Mrs homeowner. Its personal preference, but I just don't see the advantage of saving £5 on what is over £1000 worth of work. http://www.baxi.co.uk/docs/Baxi_Combi_Instant_HE_Installation_and_Servicing_Instructions.pdf

As I said in my post, they only recommend that you use Fernox or Sentinel, it does not state required. Baxi would have a hard job dipping out of a warranty just because you used a n other inhibitor. As long as you have considered and adhered to the requirements of BS7593 then you are covered. I would even get the supplier/manufacturer of the relevant inhibitor involved.

These days you need to save five pounds where you can, especially when you are pricing against the idiots who won't add anything to the system.

I hear what you chaps are saying, you have to work in a much more price sensitive section of the market, personally I price myself high and never win work on cost, preferring to walk away from a job than cut my margin but I have heard stories of the combi swap market being ridiculously sharp. In terms of warranty I hear what you are saying but I don't think OEM's can afford to not stick to their own small print. Gloworm are now offering 15 year guarantee's I cannot see them honouring anything if they can get out of it in the small print mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Testing for inhibitor. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock