Discuss stuck draincocks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

CXR100

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
anybody any tips for releasing the stuck draincocks?? what a pain they are!!!

Sometimes if you are lucky after undoing it, a bit of tapping on the body can release the stuck washer. Failing that, you gotta be brave! Take insert out and try and flick washer loose with screwdriver, then either attempt to screw insert back in or just hold your thumb over the end and let it run down hose. PITA when they won't work hey :)

tapping can lead to flooding if its been in ages and the doc is dezincified, ie very fragile, found out the hard way on a 210 litre, rather warm first floor cylinder last year! Only a posidrive screwdriver and spanner for doc with me!! shirt off and stuffed into resulting hole with screwdriver to allow retreat to van for hose and tools!!! sphincter muscle went into overdrive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always have an air tight bar to catch the water in, surround the drain off with the bag and get the stuck washer out with a screwdriver. I have new drain off inners at the ready to replace, but the bag catches all the water. Obviously have a hose on aswell so most the water can escape without causing a mess.

Air tight bag as above for me too. Get yourself a large asbestos bag they work a treat now known as my flexible bucket I use it for catching water when I bung a system,place it under a dripping drain valve, changing trv's pumps getting that last bit of water out of a boiler and catching water when taking out pan connector and pans

I always have an air tight bar to catch the water in, surround the drain off with the bag and get the stuck washer out with a screwdriver. I have new drain off inners at the ready to replace, but the bag catches all the water. Obviously have a hose on aswell so most the water can escape without causing a mess.

this works on worcester bosch greenstar condense traps i us a small bag around the clip of cap and take cap off reduces the risk of getting pcb wet

Air tight bag as above for me too. Get yourself a large asbestos bag they work a treat now known as my flexible bucket I use it for catching water when I bung a system,place it under a dripping drain valve, changing trv's pumps getting that last bit of water out of a boiler and catching water when taking out pan connector and pans

I always buy rubble sacks which are air tight so I have a constant supply as I use them whenever there is a chance of a water spill.

oh right, i see what you mean by asbestos bags. Do you use these as general rubble sacks to? if not, what rubble sacks are people using these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to stuck draincocks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello everyone, I have a Grundfos SoloLift2 WC1 on a toilet and since a few months the impeller keeps getting stuck. I was quite happy to...
Replies
Views
Hi guys Bit of frustrating situation, I was preparing to solder a 15mm Tee by lining it up to get the positioning right, etc and it was quite...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
Morning. I have a leak. It’s coming from the connector pipe….the picture shows the pipe. It is a cold water pipe going in to the back of my...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Aqualisa Midas thermostatic shower that has a very stiff temperature control. I have taken off the control knob and unscrewed the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock