Discuss stuck draincocks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

CXR100

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
anybody any tips for releasing the stuck draincocks?? what a pain they are!!!

Sometimes if you are lucky after undoing it, a bit of tapping on the body can release the stuck washer. Failing that, you gotta be brave! Take insert out and try and flick washer loose with screwdriver, then either attempt to screw insert back in or just hold your thumb over the end and let it run down hose. PITA when they won't work hey :)

tapping can lead to flooding if its been in ages and the doc is dezincified, ie very fragile, found out the hard way on a 210 litre, rather warm first floor cylinder last year! Only a posidrive screwdriver and spanner for doc with me!! shirt off and stuffed into resulting hole with screwdriver to allow retreat to van for hose and tools!!! sphincter muscle went into overdrive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always have an air tight bar to catch the water in, surround the drain off with the bag and get the stuck washer out with a screwdriver. I have new drain off inners at the ready to replace, but the bag catches all the water. Obviously have a hose on aswell so most the water can escape without causing a mess.

Air tight bag as above for me too. Get yourself a large asbestos bag they work a treat now known as my flexible bucket I use it for catching water when I bung a system,place it under a dripping drain valve, changing trv's pumps getting that last bit of water out of a boiler and catching water when taking out pan connector and pans

I always have an air tight bar to catch the water in, surround the drain off with the bag and get the stuck washer out with a screwdriver. I have new drain off inners at the ready to replace, but the bag catches all the water. Obviously have a hose on aswell so most the water can escape without causing a mess.

this works on worcester bosch greenstar condense traps i us a small bag around the clip of cap and take cap off reduces the risk of getting pcb wet

Air tight bag as above for me too. Get yourself a large asbestos bag they work a treat now known as my flexible bucket I use it for catching water when I bung a system,place it under a dripping drain valve, changing trv's pumps getting that last bit of water out of a boiler and catching water when taking out pan connector and pans

I always buy rubble sacks which are air tight so I have a constant supply as I use them whenever there is a chance of a water spill.

oh right, i see what you mean by asbestos bags. Do you use these as general rubble sacks to? if not, what rubble sacks are people using these days

I've got enough rubble sacks to last me years!! Bought a bulk load from someone, I have boxes of em!! Thick gauge plastic too. Cheap rubble sacks are just posh bin liners!

People soldering the drainoff without taking the end out = washer melting to the seating = very annoying to the next man

Pair of long nose pliers and fastest finger first! A bit of excitement is good for the heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to stuck draincocks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back