Search the forum,

Discuss Strange radiator problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LindseyS

Hi all,
I am hoping someone can give me some advice - I have a strange problem with some of my radiators being cold.
I rented out my cottage while working away, and the tenant decided to turn off all the radiators at the valve. The boiler (gas gravity system running 7 radiators) I know is fine, as it just went through a landlord annual safety check and service right before the tenant moved out. However, when we switched the boiler back on and turned the valves back on, four of the radiators heated up fine, but three were stone cold.
There doesn't appear to be any air in the system, and the whole radiator is cold, so it's not that they need bleeding.
It's been suggested that they might need desludging, but someone else has since suggested that a sludge problem would give a similar effect to air in the system and the radiators would be partially warm.
If you push in the valve you can hear the flow change, so there does appear to be flow. Also the pipe going to each radiator is hot.
I know a bit about plumbing but not enough to work this one out - I am totally baffled. Any suggestions would be really welcome.
Many thanks
Lindsey

trv pins might be stuck / not open full or as you say sludge

can you feel any warmth on the return pipe work out of each rad?

Welcome to the forum Lindsey.
Could it need balancing guy`s & girls?

Welcome to the forum Lindsey.
Could it need balancing guy`s & girls?

could be but depends if the tenant has just turned the trv heads off or messed with the lockshield as well

Which we don`t know hence why I threw it in.

not shooting it down mate hell they might even be shut off seen that a few times :D

not shooting it down mate hell they might even be shut off seen that a few times :D

Know you didn`t shoot it down Shaun, guess I`m getting involved where maybe I shouldn`t but like I say just threw it in after the welcome along.

Worth balancing the radiators and testing all TRV pins... Take it easy though as the pins can spring out and you'd get a little sprinkle all over your lovely carpet!

Know you didn`t shoot it down Shaun, guess I`m getting involved where maybe I shouldn`t but like I say just threw it in after the welcome along.

its good advice your ok

btw im catching you :D

Hi Lindsey
You say you have "gas gravity system running 7 radiators " do you have a pump on the heating pipework or is it indeed a gravity system? if so who fitted the TRVs?

Either way have you tried turning off the rads that are getting hot?

Thanks guys!
This just gets weirder - some changes seem to have happened while I was out at work today!
The lounge radiator is now cold on inlet and return pipes, but that may be because I've hd to turn the gas fire on in there, just turned the main thermostat up to see what happens.
Spare room radiator is as it was - radiator stone cold, inlet hot, return cold
Bathroom radiator is now hot at both inlet and return, and has stumbled up to lukewarm.

The valves seem to be moving fairly freely on both the lounge and bedroom, the bathroom one does feel a bit sticky. I guess feeling free and being free are two different things though!

On cold rads, fully open lockshields, (opposite end to TRV) then close all rads but one and see if it gets hot. Do this for all cold rads. If cold rads become hot by this method turn on all rads and balance system.

The central heating does have a pump (sorry my terminology's not great, I about know the difference between gravity and combi) :)
Chris, we did turn off the ones that were hot to increase pressure to the others when we first came back on Thursday, but it did nothing - I will try it again now though as the bathroom rad is hinting at signs of life.
The system was in when I bought the house in 2014, I know it was professional fitted but not who by.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok we sprinkled the carpet :) But this is so weird, water seems to be coming out fine - with the lockshield open, opening the TRV on the cold lounge radiator pushed water through strongly.
On a bright note, it was nice clear water, not black and dirty - which I guess is good news for both a power flush and the carpet :)
The gurgling coming from the boiler room is making me think airlock - as it doesn't appear to be in any of the radiators, maybe in the pipes?

When I said open lockshield you where meant to turn spindle in anti clockwise direction, it sounds as if you've undo the lockshield, please tell me I'm wrong.

The lock shield is fully screwed anticlockwise, we checked the ones that were working to see how they were sitting first. Hubby just wanted to check there was flow - which there seems to be. It's baffling him as he tells me that everything seems to be implying there's flow either end but nothing going through the radiator - which seems to defy everything I know of the laws of physics :)

If rad is getting hot there is flow. If rad stays cold no flow, assuming no air in rad. Very often if rad turned off for period of time a small amount of sludge can prevent flow but once circulation established everything fine there after. Good luck with your endeavours.

I know it may a stupid question But can you feel if Pump is working ??

Has op tried opening one rad at a time to force through? Start with ones that don't work & open others up.

See concurrent thread,"Central Heating-Possible Blockage", Much good advice, may be applicable.
Bleed circulating pump by loosening central screw. Air in pump will effect performance and damage pump. Your mention of gurgling noise warrants investigation.

Not sure it warranted a PM however, guess we are Yin & Yan as in Quality over Quantity. :smile5: And stop stalking my post count surely you have better things to do. lol

Didn't want to put the topic more of topic :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Strange radiator problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock