Discuss Starting up on my own - Advice from those with experience building a customer base would be great in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all you need to learn how to price right without losing so much money. You need get thick skinned.
You also need to start to accept things you normally wouldn't , that's pretty hard let me tell you. Sometimes, it's good to the extra mile to make a good living. If you feel the customer is not good, do not hesitate just walk away.

Get business cards ready, look smart and clean, be polite and always on time, keep customers in a loop, try to contact other sole traders they may have too many jobs so you can start creating a bond so he will transfer some good jobs to you.
Be thankful but DO NOT drop your business cards at the his customers, it may go well for quite a while but once you he will know , he won't use you anymore ( I would not ) ! That's one thing I really hate if people take an advantage and think they are smarter.

I hope it helps and enjoy your weekend as longs as you can :)

Set up on my own nearly 4 years ago now. It's had its quiet spells but last 2 years starting to see nice profits. I've made mistakes with advertising regarding the 'top of Google listings' with my website .. don't fall for it! I only advertise on yell.com now and get enough off there, the rest are returning customers or referrals. Nice looking website, blitz the free listings, yell.com, clean van, be polite and always leave the job tidy. Know your limits too, customers won't complain if you admit it's out of your skills, they'd appreciate it rather than you having a wack at it and messing up. Best of luck to you, it's hard work but all good fun :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Starting up on my own - Advice from those with experience building a customer base would be great in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Hope you are all well. My name is Henry and I am Dorset based, and looking to get into the Plumbing trade. I will have completed my...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
    • Agree
Hi, still rather new on the forum but i wondering what advice you can give on going it on your own and starting your own plumbing and heating...
Replies
Views
A
Hi everyone, as the title says I'm looking at going self employed, I'm 31 and worked for 2 companies over the past 14 years so feel it's time for...
Replies
Views
Hi, first post here so excuse me if i break any etiquette on this forum. I have been a plumber for over 15 years. I've just bought my first...
Replies
Views
Hello All, Firstly I am not in the central heating profession. We moved into a property 3 years ago and got lumped with this paper weight stuck...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock