Search the forum,

Discuss Starting your own business in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

£30 -£40 per hour depending on the job and how busy you are. The way I look at it handyman are charging £20 per hour and tilers are charging £30 per hour.
We are recognised trade with qualifications and experience, and there's no two jobs that are the same.
Just to put this into the mix
in central london Pimlico Plumbers charge £125.00
per call plus vat for the first hour...that is inside M25 circle
outside is worse...Scott and his Father have done well I wish I had done it ...Rob Foster aka
centralheatking

Hi guys! I know it's not in revelent topic but I've got the Gas Safe Inspection next Friday. What should I expect and have equipment wise. I'm stocked up on warning labels, ID tape etc but is there anything else I should prepare for? Thanks again for all your advice.

bonding meter clamps eg for removing meters
ldf
fga etc

Greetings, I am now observing how the plumbing business is growing with the https://www.managemart.com/plumbing, recently I have discovered intuitively understandable business management software. I have not yet understood everything, can anyone help. Could anyone teach how to manage my own content, orders, payments, personal calendar and customer support through their application? I want to completely take control over the business. Does anyone already use this software?

Hi guys! I know it's not in revelent topic but I've got the Gas Safe Inspection next Friday. What should I expect and have equipment wise. I'm stocked up on warning labels, ID tape etc but is there anything else I should prepare for? Thanks again for all your advice.
How did you get on ?

Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on marketing? I was thinking of flier drop but I've still do get the van sign writing done, I've not got a website, no social media interaction or going round letting agents etc. Most of my work has came from rated people, I get the first job done and they have more work to be done

I need to gain more sales and not sure where to invest. My last month or two, I've spent close to 2k on tools and plant. I just wish I knew where to put some savings into? Maybe you guys could advice from experience?

A website these days is a vital investment, so many people do searches for local tradesmen, so you need to be on the web. Even if you can only afford a single page!

You also need decent quality business cards and logo ed clothing. First impressions really count , so time keeping matters.

Don’t turn down small jobs, customers will often try people with small jobs first. The small jobs can be a pain, but the more clients you get, that are happy, spreads the word and your name

Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on marketing? I was thinking of flier drop but I've still do get the van sign writing done, I've not got a website, no social media interaction or going round letting agents etc. Most of my work has came from rated people, I get the first job done and they have more work to be done

I need to gain more sales and not sure where to invest. My last month or two, I've spent close to 2k on tools and plant. I just wish I knew where to put some savings into? Maybe you guys could advice from experience?
never sign write your van, nobody expects it nowadays because some low life will steal all your stuff...just get some magnetics and stick them on just before you turn up and take off after...and over the weekend stick them on your car.
Small companies sell large ones market there is a significant difference...leaflets are good, internet takes time, go get an hotel or a nursing home and build off that base. Local stuff like newsagents etc is poor but
we used to do the odd church magazine ...they were ace well healed folk own own gaff and want someone they can trust
let us know how you get on
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Thanks Rob, great advice. Most of the local companies have their vans sign written up here. Van theft is thankfully low.

Great idea for the local church. Definitely going to look into that further.

Cheers mate
never sign write your van, nobody expects it nowadays because some low life will steal all your stuff...just get some magnetics and stick them on just before you turn up and take off after...and over the weekend stick them on your car.
Small companies sell large ones market there is a significant difference...leaflets are good, internet takes time, go get an hotel or a nursing home and build off that base. Local stuff like newsagents etc is poor but
we used to do the odd church magazine ...they were ace well healed folk own own gaff and want someone they can trust
let us know how you get on
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Thanks Murdoch. Definitely agree that first impressions count.

A website these days is a vital investment, so many people do searches for local tradesmen, so you need to be on the web. Even if you can only afford a single page!

You also need decent quality business cards and logo ed clothing. First impressions really count , so time keeping matters.

Don’t turn down small jobs, customers will often try people with small jobs first. The small jobs can be a pain, but the more clients you get, that are happy, spreads the word and your name

On a secondary note, what advantages are there for being an improved installer with a chosen boiler manufacturer? Most of the companies round here a Worcester Bosch. Should you try and offer something different or not tie yourself with any? Cheers Ryan

Please don't think me rude Murdoch, but I disagree.

In my experience THE most important aspect of being self employed is understanding what makes YOU stand out from the crowd. It's whats different about you that people choose, not what's the same.

Finding and feeling what diffentiates you isn't always easy. Often it can be something as daft as enjoying, for example, old people's stories, or the fact you hate being late. Turn those idiosyncrasies into something positive in your advert.

The reason I disagreed with Murdoch was because until you KNOW what makes you different, and by extension who your customers will be, you cannot know how they like to be approached or what matters to them. Taking that even further, if you spend money on stuff that isnt going to target your customers its simply a waste...

From the perspective of a customer. If they call you, you cannot pickup then have a nice message for them to leave a voice mail.

After that call back everyone even if you are not interested in the job. The obvious ones are turn up on time, invest in some app or software to help you with dealing with admin, quotes, invoicing etc.

Be clear on pricing over the phone if possible, it will save you a wasted journey which you could spend marketing or brushing up on your skills.

From the perspective of a customer. If they call you, you cannot pickup then have a nice message for them to leave a voice mail.

After that call back everyone even if you are not interested in the job. The obvious ones are turn up on time, invest in some app or software to help you with dealing with admin, quotes, invoicing etc.

Be clear on pricing over the phone if possible, it will save you a wasted journey which you could spend marketing or brushing up on your skills.

Quite clearly JL, judging by your terribly Corbynesque (idealistic) post, you do not deal with the general public on a daily basis.

The public generally oscillate between Jekyll & Hyde and one never knows which face they'll present until they do.

If people were a little less self obsessed then trades could reasonably expected to act differently.

Quite clearly JL, judging by your terribly Corbynesque (idealistic) post, you do not deal with the general public on a daily basis.

The public generally oscillate between Jekyll & Hyde and one never knows which face they'll present until they do.

If people were a little less self obsessed then trades could reasonably expected to act differently.

Nothing wrong with idealism - it's something to aim for or we can just become cynical.

Not sure what to make of your last sentence other than its a big generalisation.

From your posts I can 100% see why no one has got back to you.

Its easier now due to facebook etc.

Do you actually find that is true? I am not SE anymore, but I see people asking on local pages for recommendations, and the commn thread is "cheap" or "not expensive". nd way too easy too be unfairly slagged, IMO

Do you actually find that is true? I am not SE anymore, but I see people asking on local pages for recommendations, and the commn thread is "cheap" or "not expensive". nd way too easy too be unfairly slagged, IMO
As I said a couple of days ago, my saying was always that no job is ever too small - but my quote may be too large.
If you quote for a "big" job, you may have to be cheaper than a few others, or be good at selling yourself. With "small jobs", I NEVER visited to give a quote. On the phone I always explained HOW I charge, and that I will be calling to do work not look at it. And I expect to be paid immediately on completion. On that basis, you are reasonably sure that when you go out, you will return with some earnings

Look, facebook , twitter etc are just another way to promote your business, if you dont do,them you might miss out it can cost zero so why not....remember ...facebook etc are basically marketing venues
when you are a mes outfit in a local area then its sales you need...after a while facebook etc can become a direct sales tool but it takes ages. I can see both aspects as we operate in both areas ...Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Thanks Rob, great advice. Most of the local companies have their vans sign written up here. Van theft is thankfully low.

Great idea for the local church. Definitely going to look into that further.

Cheers mate
Turn up to the Church on Sundays with your mrs and kids ...you will be never short of work...we got into some Mormons years ago
they lasted 2 or 3 years and then there are the ones with a fish on the back of their motor...if short of work follow them home and pop a flyer thro their door...its called targeted marketing .
all nice honest and good payers
...centralheatking

Hi, where in Central Scotland?
I'm a landlord with a portfolio in and around Falkirk and always looking for a decent (and decent priced) gas engineer for boiler installs etc.
Will be needing a back boiler replaced in a couple of months in Stirling if interested.

OP: Generally, DO NOT get tied up with landlord agents. They often either want commission or charge a massive mark up on your fee. The LL is not always aware, and you can end up being labelled as expensive.

Also they take the attitude that you dont get paid until THEY get paid. What if the tenant never pays rent - suddenly the LL's problem is YOUR problem. I always refused and had them sign to agree that THEY are responsible for the bill. But that was years ago and with independents, I don't expect the big boys will play fair. The main thing s to KNOW what you are agreeing to.

LL's are there to make money, and will often try to screw you down hard. I have worked for good ones, and terrible ones - it takes a bit of experience to work it out, although when I started there were no internet forums, so was pretty much learning alone.

RBC above is a case in point. Why are you (RBC) always looking for a new RGI? That rings bells for me. We know that when you find a decent tradesman, you try to keep hold of him, by treating them with respect. If you keep needing new guys, either there is something wrong with your way of dealing, or you are unlucky to live in an area thoroughly unblessed with good RGI's.

Last edited:
Look, facebook , twitter etc are just another way to promote your business, if you dont do,them you might miss out it can cost zero so why not....remember ...facebook etc are basically marketing venues
when you are a mes outfit in a local area then its sales you need...after a while facebook etc can become a direct sales tool but it takes ages. I can see both aspects as we operate in both areas ...Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Read the media Rob, there is a dam sight more going on than you know.

Read the media Rob, there is a dam sight more going on than you know.
ok rpm , please inform me we can swop info. My input is derived from my frequent meetings with some of the main
producers and manus in Uk. In fact I will be with 4 over August and doing 2 board room presentations , our international plumbing and heating data is the best..on the market .so what am I and my colleagues missing ? what media are we missing ?

ok rpm , please inform me we can swop info. My input is derived from my frequent meetings with some of the main
producers and manus in Uk. In fact I will be with 4 over August and doing 2 board room presentations , our international plumbing and heating data is the best..on the market .so what am I and my colleagues missing ? what media are we missing ?
You can keep your spiel. Are you not aware of what they do collecting your data? There is a lot more than that going on.

Can you share what your talking about? I'm intrigued

Amazon, google, Facebook etc scrape data on everything we do online. Not just the searches you make and the pages you browse and your email/private messages but subtle things like how long you spend looking at a certain image. They use this data to very effectively manipulate us into buying certain products and lifestyles.

On top of that you have companies for hire and nations running networks of bots that can shape of sway public opinion.

Amazon, google, Facebook etc scrape data on everything we do online. Not just the searches you make and the pages you browse and your email/private messages but subtle things like how long you spend looking at a certain image. They use this data to very effectively manipulate us into buying certain products and lifestyles.

On top of that you have companies for hire and nations running networks of bots that can shape of sway public opinion.
And that is only what we know.

Still don't get how that would stop you using Facebook for advertising?

I'm sure everyone uses Google still, so advertising on above platforms would be less invasive since your only posting what you actually want others to see?

Still harvesting and storing mate, more and more people are recognising this and dropping these parisites.

I do think there are orders of magnitude more time wasters and tossers contact you via Facebook than picking up the phone. There’s plenty of evidence to show businesses that people recognise are more successful than those they don’t.

I do think there are orders of magnitude more time wasters and tossers contact you via Facebook than picking up the phone. There’s plenty of evidence to show businesses that people recognise are more successful than those they don’t.
And this thread is about starting a new business so how does that square.

Reply to Starting your own business in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock