Search the forum,

Discuss Stainless steel and brass in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I have to replace my pressure tank (30 years old, waterlogged) with a new one, Well x Trol 202.

This one comes with a 1” stainless steel elbow, to which I will screw the brass T fitting. I have made several brass to brass connections during the years all leak free, but never brass to Stainless steel.

This is what I plan to do:

I can’t get hold of the gray tape for Stainless steel, at least not in time, so I’ll use 6 wraps of the usual PTFE tape. This is because the usual tape is roughly half the thickness of the gray stuff and since 3 wraps of that one is recommended…

Then I’ll spread a -liberal- amount of dope (Hercules Megalo Sealant by Oatey, as it is compatible with SS and with drinking water).

I am not sure how tight I should put them together. Of course the T fitting has to be in a certain position. With brass to brass or copper I’ll normally do 2-3 turns past hand tight, but with SS? Steel is a lot stronger than brass, so there would be no danger of cracking the elbow, but I understand that with SS over-tight is not good. And I would REALLY like to do it right the first time, and not to have to open up the system for a small leak at that joint.

Thanks for any advise

Reply to Stainless steel and brass in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am in process of replacing an existing sink with a new stainless steel one. The existing tap is plumbed directly to copper which means that it is earthed. The new tap will use flexible tails and so will not be earth bonded. My initial search for information suggests that there is no legal...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock