Discuss Stainless steel and brass in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I have to replace my pressure tank (30 years old, waterlogged) with a new one, Well x Trol 202.

This one comes with a 1” stainless steel elbow, to which I will screw the brass T fitting. I have made several brass to brass connections during the years all leak free, but never brass to Stainless steel.

This is what I plan to do:

I can’t get hold of the gray tape for Stainless steel, at least not in time, so I’ll use 6 wraps of the usual PTFE tape. This is because the usual tape is roughly half the thickness of the gray stuff and since 3 wraps of that one is recommended…

Then I’ll spread a -liberal- amount of dope (Hercules Megalo Sealant by Oatey, as it is compatible with SS and with drinking water).

I am not sure how tight I should put them together. Of course the T fitting has to be in a certain position. With brass to brass or copper I’ll normally do 2-3 turns past hand tight, but with SS? Steel is a lot stronger than brass, so there would be no danger of cracking the elbow, but I understand that with SS over-tight is not good. And I would REALLY like to do it right the first time, and not to have to open up the system for a small leak at that joint.

Thanks for any advise

Reply to Stainless steel and brass in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
I am trying to seal a tap (wall mount faucet for a lavatory/bathroom) my wife purchased from Morocco. We live in the US, and everything is NPT...
Replies
Views
The inlet valve bottom entry to toilet cistern developed a drip that flowed under toilet and dampened grout on tiles. Initially I could not...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock