Discuss Space below cylinder? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replacing an ancient copper hot water cylinder. The airing cupboard has a fully boarded floor and the cylinder is supported on three bearers, resting on the floor, each approximately an inch and a half wide by two inches high. I question whether bearers are needed? Can I just put the new cylinder on the floor or is there a good reason why a space is needed below the cylinder?

IMAG0667.jpg

What about this space lol

Thanks for all the discussion. The answer to my question seems to be yes ...or no! I do appreciate the comment that putting a cylinder onto, e.g. a concrete floor that might harbour moisture, might well lead to enhanced corrosion if the cylinder is allowed to go cold and water condenses on it. I think that I'll go for the safest option which would be to use a sufficient number of battens to spread the load and avoid cylinder damage. Many thanks to all respondents for your useful advice.

Yes its gone on a bit lol, if i was you , a quick ring to the cylinder manufacturers would be best, go on their advice.

Just put something under it, piece of ply. If you put it straight on a concrete floor, the concrete will eat the copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Space below cylinder? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock