Search the forum,

Discuss Soldering new pipe to old painted pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
So,

The story goes like this:

Went to fit a new rad today but plumb centre gave me a double panel instead of a single and because I was in a rush I didn't clock this error. I just stuck it in the van and went to the property.

Anyway, drained the system, put on shiny new valves and hung the rad to find out that the tails are 20mm out to the pipes. So I bend myself 2 20mm offsets (first time by sight and spot on might I add, quite proud of that!) and look at the pipe and it's screaming at me "solder me and I'll swear I'll leak!".

I know I can put some heat on the paint and scour it off with some wire wool. But is it really alright to solder???? Would a compression coupling be better??

I didn't finish the pipework in the end as it got late and the tenant needed to go out. But I'm going back on wednesday to finish it off.

So I'm asking for a few tips regarding soldering old pipe to new, or if compression couplings would be better?

Cheers

I just use grips and a cleaning strip to get paint off the pipe, I use my blowtorch if it is really bad. Once the paint it off and the copper clean then it is absolutely fine to solder on to it,

As long as you get it down to clean copper and use a good flux there is no difference in soldering new or old.

I use laco. I used to use the other one in the yellow tub (can't remember the name) but I find it's not great. Lack takes the solder a lot better in my opinion.

But thanks for the assurance. I'll solder it then ;)

I use laco. I used to use the other one in the yellow tub (can't remember the name) but I find it's not great. Lack takes the solder a lot better in my opinion.

But thanks for the assurance. I'll solder it then ;)

If you've never tried it next time grab some Everflux white tub blue lid. In my opinion it walks all over Laco

I've always used gas pliers to strip the paint off. And powerflux is the daddy of fluxes.

PA788-11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Best way to strip paint off pipes is to burn off til pipe is red hot then grab hold and rub wi fingers til the prints gone off em :))

im a scraper either the stanley knife or the back of the junior blade will take gloss of in sheets contary to rumours i no longer carry a shavehook

Use map gas on old pipe if it still has a bit ov water in it

I use mapp. But I've tried soldering with water in pipe and it doesn't solder well :/ how do you do it?

i use sanding mesh from stoolstation , if that doesnt do it then knife / grips with heat

the suck water out with either wet vac or syphon pump thing

i use sanding mesh from stoolstation , if that doesnt do it then knife / grips with heat

the suck water out with either wet vac or syphon pump thing

Oh ok, yeah I use my wet vac to suck out the water, but I find for some reason the pipe keeps filling - patience was never a virtue of mine :p

works better if you open pipe somewhere else ie if you had a length of pipe capped 1 end, vacuuming the other end undo/take off cap to let air in

works better if you open pipe somewhere else ie if you had a length of pipe capped 1 end, vacuuming the other end undo/take off cap to let air in

Don't the bleed valves on rads do the same thing?

If pipe is open more air gets in , so water clears faster i find anyway

Also put the vac hose over the pipe then block the vac hose with hand or a rag so it just sucks through the pipe
Don't know if you do that already or not

any method of removing the paint will be fine. If its not to close to finished surface then use a torch to help ther paint peel/ loosen. A scraper, pair of grips or whatever to remove the major amount of paint then a abrasive to clean the metal surface. Wipe the pipe clean with a damp cloth and solder as normal.

If the pipework is full of water then a wet vac is prob the easiest and cleanest method to remove that last bit of wata. For some reason these job always seem on cream carpet.

use the flux your comfortable with, if you want to try another flux do so on fittings that are easier to replace/ fix on a less important job.

Last edited:
i just usually put at bit of wire wool between my buttockd,sit on the pipe and turn the music up loud on the radio..If you are tuned to rock fm ...you will find cleaned in no time..classic fm can drag it out a bit though....

:45:

any method of removing the paint will be fine. If its not to close to finished surface then use a torch to help ther paint peel/ loosen. A scraper, pair of grips or whatever to remove the major amount of paint then a abrasive to clean the metal surface. Wipe the pipe clean with a damp cloth and solder as normal.

If the pipework is full of water then a wet vac is prob the easiest and cleanest method to remove that last bit of wata. For some reason these job always seem on cream carpet.

use the flux your comfortable with, if you want to try another flux do so on fittings that are easier to replace/ fix on a less important job.
Thanks AW heating.. I'm having to cut quite close to the floor so I'm a little nervous about getting it wrong! But I'll take my time to make sure it goes ok ;)

Little tip:

If you have a pipe that you've cut into that runs vertically, say a pipe coming out of a floor to a rad and it still has abit of water in that can't be drained out. Grab a cleaning product bottle you know the ones that have a spray nozzle on them. Slide that down into the pipe and spray till theres nothing left. Then you can solder away :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soldering new pipe to old painted pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with elbows), the last cm before the open end is pretty much straight, but as a result of the bend it is not perfectly round. I mean it is pretty much...
Replies
Views
So I think I've made a really stupid mistake. I stuffed a bit of rag into the pipe end to stop drips while I was preparing to solder. Then I put the new fitting on and soldered it. I didn't realise and tested the heating which worked but then got a low flow on the boiler. It was then I realised...
Replies
Views
Hi I've had to cut hot and cold feed to re route for bathroom feeds. The 22mm Copper pipe hot feed is slightly smaller then my 22mm Copper. Solder fittings just slip over it and are really loose so I gather this is old imperial pipe, so I shall use a 3/4 to 22mm coupler. However on the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have got an old 60/70s PVC soil stack, the Toilet is going into a Hunter branded socket which has an old O-ring design (quite flat with 3 or 4 ribs on it). It's painted in a fetching pink/purple colour in the photo. Tried to revive it with some grease before inserting a short length of...
Replies
Views
Hi, my wife decided she wanted new modern bathtaps instead of the old 'supertaps' we've had since we bought the place. So we bought the new taps and I tried fitting them yesterday but the new taps don't have the same fitting length as the old ones, this wasn't aproblem on the hot supply as...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock