Search the forum,

Discuss Snapped tap top off in on position cant now switch off any ideas? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NotSoSuperMario

Hi,
I had a go at replacing a tap washer tonight it should have been the easiest thing in the world but as you have probably guessed from my username it didnt go so well. I could not see any cap at the top where a screw might be hiding so I thought it might be one that you have to unscrew / turn to the on position and then keep screwing to reveal a screw actually on the stem. Anyway in trying this I met resistance, thinking it was just stiff ( its an old tap) I gave it a tweek with a wrench and the tap top has snapped of from the stem, it cant be screwed back on :( Worse still its an old bathroom sink with no isolating valve so the water to the whole house has had to be switched off. Can any of you offer any advice eg a tool that I could use to turn what is left of the stem so the tap is in the off postion as you would be able to if it hadnt snapped off from the tap top ? I have tried an adjustable spanner with no luck. I will have to replace the whole tap now rather than just the washer but in the short term Im just desperate to get this tap back to the off position so I can turn the mains water back on.
Please help if you can.
Thankyou.

id be getting your sen down to screwfix for a isolator valve straight away then carry on repairing . least you will have you water back on and the mrs off your back

How did you know about the mrs being on my back. You cant hear her all the way in Yorkshire can you? Or maybe you can knowing her lol ;)
Thanks for your replies, now that the water is off I better get the tap replaced but I think I will leave that to a professional if I could cause this much carnage just changing a washer it would probably be flippers and snorkles time if I tried anything more advanced.
Cheers for your help.

stick a post in the i need a plumber section , maybe someone on hear is close to you

uses adapt a tap or tap reviver kit maybe

80.jpg

most sheds do them

Thanks to all that have helped. Got a plumber to come and put a new tap in now, he was a top bloke as well. Sorted! :smile5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Snapped tap top off in on position cant now switch off any ideas? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’ve cleaned the grooves and tightened the grub screw at the bottom, but this tap handle (on the right of the photo) just won’t stay put. When turning the water off it either drops back or comes off. I suspect the problem may be with the screw, which doesn’t seem to move much. How might I get...
Replies
Views
Morning. I have a leak. It’s coming from the connector pipe….the picture shows the pipe. It is a cold water pipe going in to the back of my dishwasher. I assume the washer may need a replacement. Anyway I cannot for the life of me turn the water off I.e at this cap. I understand I should turn...
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has been intermittently dripping from the hot tap, and the cold tap is squeaking when you turn it. Possibly two different issues, possibly related? The...
Replies
Views
Long story short I have a leak from possibly the flexi hose that connects to the upstairs hot water tap. I've switched off the boiler and mains water and waiting on a plumber but not sure when they'll arrive. My question is if I leave the boiler off and then turn the water back on so I can use...
Replies
Views
Hi, I was hoping someone might be able to help with this. The tap is a Bristan RS BAS C, the hot tap has been leaking and I've trying to get the tap off to clean the cartridges, but cant get the sphere at the end off there. Looking at the diagram, it seems that you should be able to pop the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock