Search the forum,

Discuss Shower trays on new builds in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey on new building do plumbers installing shower trays directly on to the chipboard floor? On a bed of sand and cement.

Hey on new building do plumbers installing shower trays directly on to the chipboard floor? On a bed of sand and cement.

Depends what the MI's say, some say sand and cement and some say mastic. I've heard of people using quick drying tile adhesive but never tried that.

i follow the MI unless they require materials that the builder/company i work for wont supply then i just use whatever they give me. Most builders wont buy you any fancy adhesive.

best to use something like a mira flight trap on legs. means you can check the trap on 2ndfix/ 2nd fix the tray.

its probably best to sit the legs on timbers but unless the user is huuuuuge it should be fine on the chippy floor.

As said MI's but have fitted some where the carpenter has put batten on the joists with ply spanning the gap under the finish floor and bedded trays down with flexible tile adhesive.
Why would you want a tray on feet if you can get it on the floor, have confidence in your work.

Worst comes to worst, take a measurement below to where trap is and have to cut hole in the ceiling rather than rip out tray and row of tiles.

For ÂŁ20 including waste connections I know what I'd do. (Standard price on new build)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower trays on new builds in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've got an issue with the shower tray not being totally flat. As you can see from the photos, it is about 7mm out at one side. It's leaning towards the waste end though. The shower tray is pushed underneath the tiles. My mate did the tiling and I now realise that we should have put the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Sometime ago I removed our old 1200x800 shower tray and replaced with a Stone resin one. The stone resin tray was much, much heavier than the old one. At the time I didn't give much thought to it, but now I'm wondering which type of tray it would have been. Other than it weighed no more...
Replies
Views
Is this new shower tray defective and would you install it in this condition? The void where the wax deposits were (last photo) is between 4m-6mm deep. TIA.
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a couple of leaks coming under shower tray downstairs. One is along the wall so think might be joint between wall and tray and the other seems to be near waste tray, there is a slight hairline crack in shower tray near waste . This happens when I leave the shower head near the...
Replies
Views
Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up & made safe for now, have had affected pipe cut & put end caps on. Work required Full bathroom remove old tiles walls and floor. Renew tiling. New...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock