Search the forum,

Discuss Should I replace my boiler or just fix it (again)?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fredsmith

Hi all,
I currently have a chaffoteaux boiler (not sure of the exact model) that is about 10 years old. Last month I needed to fit a new expansion vessel and now this month I am in need of getting a new PCB board. The vessel set me back a couple hundred pounds and I now have a quote to supply and fit a new PCB for 325 pounds inc VAT. I also have a quote from the plumber to install a vokera 29he for 1600 inc VAT which comes with a 5 year warranty. I'm not sure whether to just fix my current boiler or sack it and get the new vokera one. Any suggestions???

get a new one but something likely to last like an intergas which has 5 yr warranty if fitted by an approved installer, less build in failure as less parts to go wrong.

have to agree with lame plumber intergas are a good boiler to have fitted,, the gas safe engineer who i go out with from time to time fits these.

Stay away from the vokera. Changing a chaf for vokera is like out of the frying pan and into the fire. Go for a replacement but shop around. I'd go for the ideal logic+ with 7 years warrenty.

Ive fitted loads of logic+ and never had a problem. I agree dont fit a vokera.

Oce Ive had problems with a make they lose my business for ever, ideal ferroli worcester chaffonteax,, but intergas, remeha, baxi are still on my xmas card list

I also fit loads of baxi's. i have had a couple of problems but on the whole very good.

Vaillants for me, recently came equal first for reliability by which magazine. I think it was which anyway. The other boiler was Worcestor, but there a complete cow to work on.

Remeha and baxi? I take it you don't do many installs?[/QU

I only fit intergas now, but the remeha and baxis havent given me any problems when I've put them in, probably as I follow mfis but the majority of my work is service and repair and most of the new install problems I come across is down to poor workmanship and people not following mfis. So you keep slapping them in and I'll keep following you round.
.:19:

try and get british gas to do a fix price repair - just dont tell them its the pcb - otherwise i would not spend anymore on an old boiler

Remeha and baxi? I take it you don't do many installs?[/QU

I only fit intergas now, but the remeha and baxis havent given me any problems when I've put them in, probably as I follow mfis but the majority of my work is service and repair and most of the new install problems I come across is down to poor workmanship and people not following mfis. So you keep slapping them in and I'll keep following you round.
.:19:

Dont see how poor instalation can be responsible for pcb and fan failure plagued on Baxi,s.

Hi lame plumber. Thank you for the personal insulting comment. I don't like the baxi solo he had issues with parts failing early on. I don't like the duotec, looks like a fridge freezer and looks outdated. I've fitted a few remehA, don't like the condense connection, don't like the plastic cover, don't like the jet black water that comes out when you take the plastic caps off when new out of the box, don't like having to free up the pump straight away. Don't like the flue connection. Don't find it user friendly. Two little lights don't help the o.a.p's that I work for.

Hi lame plumber. Thank you for the personal insulting comment. I don't like the baxi solo he had issues with parts failing early on. I don't like the duotec, looks like a fridge freezer and looks outdated. I've fitted a few remehA, don't like the condense connection, don't like the plastic cover, don't like the jet black water that comes out when you take the plastic caps off when new out of the box, don't like having to free up the pump straight away. Don't like the flue connection. Don't find it user friendly. Two little lights don't help the o.a.p's that I work for.
you can turn the two little dots of and have the sequence numbers if you want AP ? tho even those are not much use to a oap lol

And have you had a read of the manufactureres instructions for a remehA? I started reading it in April and I'm still going now!

Logic , vaillant and glow worms i find are easy to fit from an install point of view imho . Dont do worcesters unless i am forced to on contract works as total tat.
Regarding the OP i cant see where the installer gets to charge £1600 for a vokera

Thanks for all the feedback. I've decided to go ahead with a new boiler but have some doubts over the vokera. I got a quote from another plumber to install a vaillant ecotech pro 28 for 1550 pounds. Is that a good boiler and does that sound like a reasonable price????

And have you had a read of the manufactureres instructions for a remehA? I started reading it in April and I'm still going now!

i must agree with that the remeha book is a nightmare to read and the controlls are difficult to explain unfortunately the new vailants book is just as confusing and the controls only slightly better. f
For customer satisfaction rotary stats and switches are much simpler but i fear they are going to be a thing of the past soon the idea is we set the boiler up and customer shouldnt have to touch it
Who ever is writing the MI's now needs to remember not all of us are einstiens on the sharp end of this game we need step by step instructions to safely comission a boiler not spread over several pages with various refer to table xyz lines

Sounds like a decent price for a decent boiler Fred. No comparison to the vokera you'll be please to know!

Thanks for all the feedback. I've decided to go ahead with a new boiler but have some doubts over the vokera. I got a quote from another plumber to install a vaillant ecotech pro 28 for 1550 pounds. Is that a good boiler and does that sound like a reasonable price????

Yes that's a good boiler, they're giving a five year warranty on that unit untill Xmas. Just ask him to make sure. Personally id go for the plus. About an extra £85.

You can get good deals on Baxi-main boilers, i've only installed 6 of them but not had a problem with any of them. I would advise you to install a new boiler as you have had your moneys worth out of your old boiler and its onlyu gonna start costing you more money. You might as well have a new boiler which the parts will be covered for whatever the warrenty will be and you'll also save money on your gas bill

Vaillants for me, recently came equal first for reliability by which magazine. I think it was which anyway. The other boiler was Worcestor, but there a complete cow to work on.

Agree 100% with Leo, Vaillant for me all day long, wouldn't go near Worcester and deffo steer clear of Vokera.

try and get british gas to do a fix price repair - just dont tell them its the pcb - otherwise i would not spend anymore on an old boiler

I did a first fix on a Worcester Greenstar 24i Junior yesterday, worked fine until the builder removed from bathroom wall and reinstalled in utility room. Not the builders fault but the pcb and fan were both goosed, parts cost a total of £300 and the customer paid a fixed price of £99.

Very good choice, you'll have no regrets. Supply and fit price is good.

Anybody who says they like baxi's has had no dealing's with there GA boilers and there poor customer service. The GA models do save you money on your gas bill, cus they stop working very quickly LOL.

I have had no problems with Baxi, but like 99% of things you can buy they all can not be perfect but as i have not had any problems with Baxi-Main boilers i would recommend them because they are about £300 cheaper than Vaillant

I have had no problems with Baxi, but like 99% of things you can buy they all can not be perfect but as i have not had any problems with Baxi-Main boilers i would recommend them because they are about £300 cheaper than Vaillant

Live had lots, refuse to fit them now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Should I replace my boiler or just fix it (again)?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock