Discuss Screwdriver mains tester by Draper in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marty32

Good afternoon forum folk

Quick question - I'm an apprentice and wanted to know peoples' thought's/professional opinion on using a mains tester screw driver to see if things like thermostat wires or sockets are live in case of a nasty electric shock?

I've bought a Mains tester screw driver (although I wouldn't use it as a screwdriver) and it comes with a plastic gate tool which you plug into a socket and then put the scewdriver end into the live part of the opening. I believe this opens the the socket but I'm a bit apprehensive to quite honest

Anyone used these and how safe are they?

Attachments

• draper-30493-105mm-mains-tester-with-13a-safety-gate-tool.jpg
    draper-30493-105mm-mains-tester-with-13a-safety-gate-tool.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited by a moderator:
best to get a multi meter, even a cheap one for about £5-£10 will give you much more information than the screw driver

Thanks mate - do you personally use multi-meters? If so what do you usually test them on?

a neon screw driver is only good to tell you if there is 240volts, so there is some use in that.
a multi meter will give you the actual voltage in ac/dc, amps, can tell you the resistance,
you can use it to test for continuity. you could have 240vots to a part on an appliance but its not working properly,
when you understand how to use a multi meter ( i'm still learning) you can see why its not working.

Should be good for opening your sandwich box ... would probably break as soon as it touched metal.

If you hadn't guessed I don't rate Drapers for the "professional" world - great for DIY though!

And if it didn't light up when testing, how do you know if there's no power? That's why we (the survivors that is) use multimeters.

never get a neon screwdriver wet either, the current bypasses the Neon and they don't light up... What appears to be dead my not be!
Never a pleasant surprise!

Neons are usefull for quick fault finding but a multi meter is the best thing as it will check for voltage between two points ie l-n or l--e

Thank you all for your speedy and informative advice as I really didn't cop a packet off of anything so will take the neon tester back for a refund and will get a multi-meter!

Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Screwdriver mains tester by Draper in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Aladdin EasyFit Isolator Review Newly renovated house with no isolation valves anywhere, and I mean anywhere. stopcock in the street was...
Replies
Views
Barry98
B
Back